Caribou Gear

Any carp whisperers on here?

Art Vandeley

I am trying to figure out the carp game. I casted to several yesterday, had a few follow the fly, but no eats. I tried pulling the fly real slow, that didn't work. I also tried letting it sit, and twitching it, that didn't work either. Any tips from successful carp fly fisherman?

I've never figured out the carp game either, but the few eats I have had were on a san juan worm. I have no idea why, but I've tried about everything and have never had any other luck.

FWIW, I read years ago that some folks like bait balls made from corn flakes and Big Red soda for carp.

Carp are far more finnicky than trout. I don't think the fly is terribly relevant - its all about presentation. I have good luck with a wooly bugger followed by a hare's ear.

It's all about presentation. Get it about 18 to 24 in infront of fish swimming and hope it takes it. Then hang on. If you are fishing in a pond that feeds tehm, then match th2 hatch of course. There's a reason these are THE sport fish in Europe.

Not a "Whisperer " by any means.
I do target carp at times there wonderful to catch , like a bull dozer at the end of your line.
I don't fly fish at all.
I do find a small white or yellow jig with a worm worked " with " the current in very shallow water off points and gravel out cropping's seam to work. Don't let them see you or it's game over.
In a Lake I like to use a circle hook and a crawler in muddy bays It also seams to be better fishing in lower light days and if you happen to spill a can of corn and it Happens to fly out in to the water about where your trying to fish ... OPPS call me butter fingers.
:hump:

When the mulberries are on I use a purple fuzzy ball and let it float to them. You can watch them suck it in and as soon as they do set the hook or they will spit it. Fun to fight on a fly rod! You can also chum them for a couple of days using canned sweet corn. They will pile up in that area and then either make a small yellow ball or put some corn on a hook and cast it to them. If you still can't get them to take your bait then get your bow and shoot them.

Only got lucky twice. Once was on a small, gold-ribbed hare's ear in a mini golf pond in Ft Collins, CO (2004) and the other was pure luck on the Wind River below Boysen Reservoir in WY (2013). That one took a giant bandit leech that I dipped in the water as I accidentally walked up on him and he didn't spook. He slurped it in as quickly as I could set it in the water next to his face.
10 minutes later, this dude was netted (7 lbs is my guess)

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 246
I tried catching some carp that were cruising clear water, feeding on daphnia and they were impossible. The ones grubbing in the mud were a lot easier. You had to put the fly on their head and move real slow. I found them to be a lot like redfish except I didn't think they fought in the same league.

When the mulberries are on I use a purple fuzzy ball and let it float to them.

I'll second this tactic. If you can find an overhanging mulberry bush there will be carp under it. Drop/plop something purple on them...even a 1" chunk of purple/plastic worm on a #4 bait hook...lots of fun on the fly rod.

Haven't done it in a few years, but I might have to get the kids out next summer to do it again.

...or just shoot 'em, that's fun too!

I targeted carp for the first time on the 4th of July and was lucky to have success the first time out. Now I am hooked. Carp are really finicky, there are times when they won't eat anything and times when they seem easy to catch. You will learn to identify which fish are "players". If you see fish tailing or rooting around in the mud, they are the ones that are on the feed. The slow cruisers are usually worth casting at also. If you cast at the fish that are just laying there in the sun, you are probably wasting your time.

The closer you can get to the fish, the easier it is to catch them. I have found that you need to put the fly on an area about the size of a dinner plate right in front of the fish. If you cast anywhere outside of that, it seems the fish either don't see the fly or are too lazy to go after it. I have been fishing in fairly dirty water, if you fish in clear water the strike zone may be bigger. Since I have been fishing in dirty water, I can only see the back or tail of the fish but I can't see the fly. At first it might seem tough to detect the take, but you will be able to tell when a fish reacts to it. You just have to watch the fish to know when to set the hook. When in doubt, set the hook. Before I started fishing for carp, I used to think they just kind of swam around aimlessly. It is really cool to see their predatory side for the first time.

I have been using weighted flies, and the best technique seems to be to cast past the fish, then lift your rod until the fly is dragging towards you on the surface. Then when it gets to the fish, lower your rod so the fly drops right in front of the fish. If you are sneaky you can get close enough to the fish that you can just use your rod to lower the fly in front of the fish without having to cast at all.

www.flycarpin.com is a good resource.

It is nice to have a species that can still be found in less than two feet of water even after weeks of 90+ degree temps. I am warning you, you might get addicted!

IMG_1547.jpg

The one I've caught seem to be pretty picky on odor. I keep a jar of smelly jelly to goop up the fly at the start of each day. After I catch one, I usually just rub the fly on the carps body.

I dont think it is so much that you need the smell to induce a strike. I think you need it more as a cover scent for the chemicals and dyes that are in most fly patterns.

Learn to identify the ones that are feeding and concentrate on those. It's very rare you'll get one that's not active to take a fly.

I targeted carp for the first time on the 4th of July and was lucky to have success the first time out. Now I am hooked. Carp are really finicky, there are times when they won't eat anything and times when they seem easy to catch. You will learn to identify which fish are "players". If you see fish tailing or rooting around in the mud, they are the ones that are on the feed. The slow cruisers are usually worth casting at also. If you cast at the fish that are just laying there in the sun, you are probably wasting your time.

The closer you can get to the fish, the easier it is to catch them. I have found that you need to put the fly on an area about the size of a dinner plate right in front of the fish. If you cast anywhere outside of that, it seems the fish either don't see the fly or are too lazy to go after it. I have been fishing in fairly dirty water, if you fish in clear water the strike zone may be bigger. Since I have been fishing in dirty water, I can only see the back or tail of the fish but I can't see the fly. At first it might seem tough to detect the take, but you will be able to tell when a fish reacts to it. You just have to watch the fish to know when to set the hook. When in doubt, set the hook. Before I started fishing for carp, I used to think they just kind of swam around aimlessly. It is really cool to see their predatory side for the first time.

I have been using weighted flies, and the best technique seems to be to cast past the fish, then lift your rod until the fly is dragging towards you on the surface. Then when it gets to the fish, lower your rod so the fly drops right in front of the fish. If you are sneaky you can get close enough to the fish that you can just use your rod to lower the fly in front of the fish without having to cast at all.

www.flycarpin.com is a good resource.

It is nice to have a species that can still be found in less than two feet of water even after weeks of 90+ degree temps. I am warning you, you might get addicted!

View attachment 72590

That's a hoss. Thanks for the info gentlemen. I'm already hooked, closest thing I've found to saltwater fly fishing in MT. Have the jet boat ready to go for another round of trying this weekend!

Caught two in the 10lbs range below toston dam on a 4wt with a San Juan..both times I though I had hooked the monster trout.. what a disappointment to learn there were carp in MT.. fun... but not quite the same as shooting 150-200 with a bow on lake Elsinore..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back