Caribou Gear

Searching for Elk Hunting partner

Roughwater

Hi,

I live in NC and am searching for a Elk Hunting partner for a 2017 DIY hunt. My wife worries about me doing this alone and I can see the logic, economy and extra safety in having a hunting partner. I don't personally know anyone local who Elk hunts so I'm reaching out. I am a lifetime Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Member and a Ex Marine.
I am not new to Elk Hunting as I have Elk hunted in Colorado 3 times. Twice in the 80's (Archery) and more recently 3 years ago with rifle all DIY. I am 67 years old but never smoked and have kept fairly fit but this upcoming hunt has encouraged me to seriously train (Which I am doing) as I know how really tough Elk country is on a body.

I don't have a tag yet but so far I am considering Idaho and Colorado as I can still get OTC tags in either. I somewhat know GMU 43 in Colorado as I hunted there in the past but open minded as to any Colorado GMU's. I see some non-resident tags still available for units in Idaho for several units including Selway and Lolo. But I need to soon make a decision as September is quickly approaching and some of my options may dry up. I am open to either a rifle or Archery and could even do a Muzzle hunt if need be.

My hunting partner needs to be at least fairly fit, very serious about hunting but maybe most of all a team player. There may come a time when one of us has to be the caller and the other the shooter but we absolutely need to work together. Also it would be good if my partner has the flexibility to hunt for 2 or more weeks if need be. I hope to arrive a few days early to whatever area to scout and acclimate to the altitude.

Terry

I'm in NC and I have my first trip west planned now, an antelope hunt in Wy. I am interested in an elk hunt but I don't think I get the time for 2 trips out west this season. But next year...

Where do you live in NC? I'm near Oxford NC. If I survive this one contact me next year and good luck on getting that Antelope.

Roughwater, I also am looking for a partner. Been after elk many times. Got one with crossbow and one with rifle. Would you be interested in a CO drop camp in Flat-tops? Hit elk there but ,lost him. Winterhawk outfitters. Over the counter tag for 2nd & 3rd rifle season. Can hunt entire season for same rate. Horse back in. Walking only after that. 70 years old in pretty good shape.

Uslud,

Appreciate the invite very much. However I checked the website and 2200 is a bit rich for me. For now I still plan a DIY hunt. Also, I did a brief google search and saw this review of the outfitter: http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=3751 Hopefully that will not be your experience but however it goes please share it with us if you don't mind? Thanks again for your generous offer and the best of luck.

uslud

roughwater....
How about a DIY in Flattops area of CO out of Trappers Lake? There is a camping site there where we could park my 5th wheel. Area does have elk however might have to walk a ways. 2nd rifle season is about as late as I would like to be that far in. Usually that season is for 9 days. Actually I am open to any hunt. What you got in mind? I did a DIY hunt 2 years ago in WY. My buddy stuck a cow, but we didn't find until bears had been on her. Hunt was outside of Encampment/Riverside area. I live outside Savannah, GA and am also a Marine.

uslud,

Wow, trappers lake. I've been there back in the 80's. Pretty country for sure. Seems like maybe I went up through Rifle Co. to get there but can't say for sure. It was a Archery hunt.
That brings back memories. Do you still do archery hunting?

yes, only with crossbow now. That is why I like WY You also get fishing license with elk tag. Drawing in WY is getting tough. Spend the $1000 for a tag or wait a few years W/ preference pts. What is your thinking on a DIY hunt? Cell # 912-661-2670.

roughwater....
How about a DIY in Flattops area of CO out of Trappers Lake? There is a camping site there where we could park my 5th wheel. Area does have elk however might have to walk a ways. 2nd rifle season is about as late as I would like to be that far in. Usually that season is for 9 days. Actually I am open to any hunt. What you got in mind? I did a DIY hunt 2 years ago in WY. My buddy stuck a cow, but we didn't find until bears had been on her. Hunt was outside of Encampment/Riverside area. I live outside Savannah, GA and am also a Marine.

Uslud,

One problem I see is that Trappers Lake is in GMU 24. That is a by draw only unit. I don't know that I could get a tag for that GMU since it's not available OTC. Also I looked up the %success rate for 2nd rifle. It's only 11% in that GMU. Not that good. I'm sure there are better odds in some other units.

My bad. GMU 24 is draw only Via Archery, but is OTC for 2nd and 3rd season Rifle.

I'm really wanting to DIY Archery hunt Unit 10 in Idaho. Unfortunately haven't definitely found anyone else crazy enough to hunt there. It had a 33% success rate last year for archery Elk. The season is a month long. More than 80% public. Non-Res tags presently available. See the #'s. https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/hunt/?id=52538
Spikes with horns 6" or longer are legal. Looks like a tough area to hunt but looks better on paper anyway to me than any Colorado OTC unit. I will even go in early to scout for us. Tags are limited so # of hunters is also limited unlike most Colorado units.

I would stear away from unit 10 in idaho unless you want to do back country. And the numbers arent the best do to predation. I would do a panhandle tag which provides several opportunities PM me if you wouyld like more info

Utah

Hi,

I live in NC and am searching for a Elk Hunting partner for a 2017 DIY hunt. My wife worries about me doing this alone and I can see the logic, economy and extra safety in having a hunting partner. I don't personally know anyone local who Elk hunts so I'm reaching out. I am a lifetime Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Member and a Ex Marine.
I am not new to Elk Hunting as I have Elk hunted in Colorado 3 times. Twice in the 80's (Archery) and more recently 3 years ago with rifle all DIY. I am 67 years old but never smoked and have kept fairly fit but this upcoming hunt has encouraged me to seriously train (Which I am doing) as I know how really tough Elk country is on a body.

I don't have a tag yet but so far I am considering Idaho and Colorado as I can still get OTC tags in either. I somewhat know GMU 43 in Colorado as I hunted there in the past but open minded as to any Colorado GMU's. I see some non-resident tags still available for units in Idaho for several units including Selway and Lolo. But I need to soon make a decision as September is quickly approaching and some of my options may dry up. I am open to either a rifle or Archery and could even do a Muzzle hunt if need be.

My hunting partner needs to be at least fairly fit, very serious about hunting but maybe most of all a team player. There may come a time when one of us has to be the caller and the other the shooter but we absolutely need to work together. Also it would be good if my partner has the flexibility to hunt for 2 or more weeks if need be. I hope to arrive a few days early to whatever area to scout and acclimate to the altitude.

Terry

Terry have you ever considered Utah for archery elk? PM me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back