Boise, Ketchum, Eclipse?

jryoung

I decided to pull my son out of school next month and make a quick trip to Idaho for the eclipse. We're in and out of Boise and are looking anywhere NE of there, out towards Hell's Canyon or east to Ketchum (and north of there). I'd like to get away from the obvious spots, but with a 7yo in tow we're not going to hike in 5 miles either. Do any of you have any ideas of a cool spot where we could check it out that is in the path of the full view? Feel free to PM me if you like.

You're going to find crowds where ever you go. Schools are out in Idaho and Idaho has become a destination trip for many out of staters to see the eclipse. McCall seems to be the most popular destination. I'd assume Ketchum would be crowded.

The only way I see to avoid crowds would be to hike back into wild country - to watch a two minute eclipse.

If you're set on Idaho, please disregard-- My folks live in Central Oregon about 15 miles from where the eclipse is supposed to line up dead-nuts-center. We'll be out there for it. Lots of public ground and camping opportunities there (and a lot of good fishing) and not nearly as far as Idaho for you. Just like everywhere else the eclipse is swinging through though, it's going to be crowded. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I live I Butte. We've been toying with the idea of going south to see the eclipse better. Any thoughts on where we should go? I was thinking of Ketchum, but definitely open to suggestions.

Mackay, Idaho - I have an archery antelope tag so plan on combining it with a hunt.

Hope you can deal with crowds and major traffic.

I've been talking to a few people "in the know" and it sounds like the I-15/US-20 corridor will be used well beyond capacity for the eclipse. I sounds like it's going to be insane. I can't even imagine what it will be like in the western half of the state when the Treasure Valley all heads north.

Not a room to be had in Stanley, Mackey, Sun Valley or Challis. Expect thousands at least that's what the counties are gearing up for. I'm not looking forward to it.
Hoping for either a big lightning storm or smoke. Not kidding or joking on this. I have to work and protect my work building and area. Just below the the total black out area.
Good luck in where you choose.

I'm going 2 days before - camping and hunting lopes - Mt Borah is cool without an eclipse.

Come to Wyoming! Hopefully it'll be a blue sky day all across the west

Forecasting 35,000 new folks in Casper. Around 100,000 at Glendo.

From everything I have heard there won't be anywhere in Wyoming that isn't crowded.

I get to work the whole weekend. But at least I rented my house out.

Southwestern Montana isn't directly in the line of eclipse but is offering 97%+ eclipse views. West Yellowstone will have 99% eclipse and Dillon 98%. Lots of great camping between West Yellowstone and Dillon. This is a great site.

Montana862vid.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Very helpful. We were thinking we might actually go down to Idaho Falls. Its not too far down the road from here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back