Thinking of Changing Sites: Single Pin

LandDiver

I have a Trophy Ridge React 5 with .019 pins. Love the technology behind it, but recently have been practicing out to 60 yards and my sight picture and the .019 pins block my target (4" circle). I was thinking about maybe going with a single pin, like Trophy Ridge's React One Pro. Same technology, but one single pin coming up vertically vs 5 pins coming out horizontally. The React One Pro goes out to 100 yards with the adjustment wheel, while the React 5/7 Pro go out to 60/80. **I WILL NEVER SHOOT AT 60 YARDS WITH MY BOW, THIS IS JUST TO IMPROVE MY CLOSER SHOTS** Plus the challenge at the range of shooting further distances is sort of fun.

Another thought behind getting a different sight was wanting to go do one of these 3D courses that pop up early on in the year. Seems that the ranges to the 3D targets are further then what my current sight can go, and the courses look pretty fun and almost realistic to real hunting situations.

I know that I would have to adjust for every shot,and that would be a step I would have to practice doing. The React One Pro is $167.

What are some other single pin sights you guys use with satisfactory results?

Thank you.

I have a HHA single pin that's been pretty good. For most of my hunting(in the swamps), I can set my dial and never have to move it for any shot distance. Personally, I like a 3 pin sight. I'm either going back to a 3 pin fixed or a 3 pin hybrid sight.

I have an HHA. I've never had an issue with an animal infront of me and not having time to set the distance. That was my biggest fear. I've used one for about 7 years now. I really like knowing I can dial it in for 33 or 47 or 15 yards. The one pin also cleans up the sight plane. If i were to use a multi, I couldn't go over 3 pins just becuase of how crowded it would be.

I switched last year. I prefer the simplicity. Dial it for about a 40 yard point blank. High at 25...low at 40. Just leave it minute of elk.

Just don't forget to adjust before you shoot at a grouse or a turkey at 20 yards...that's a miss. I can assure you. Also, broadheads in a log are not easy to remove.

Thanks for the replies and other options guys. After further research I realized the Trophy Ridge React One Pro has a light on it to illuminate the sites. According to Idaho big game rules and regs I'm pretty sure it's illegal if I'm understanding it correctly.

I've used the Archer Xtreme AX100 Sgl Pin .019 Elevated for 2 years and have liked it a lot. It has low reviews on Amazon because it didn't come with a light or something but I've had nothing but a good experience with it.

I've always hated site pins that protruded in from the riser of the bow. I felt like I needed to look around them to see where I wanted to shoot, or get a better look at the target. I ordered the HHA XL5519 just a few days ago. The main reason I went with this one was because it had a larger ring housing, and had the 6 feet of fiber optic. Getting older being able to see the pin in low light conditions has been a problem for me.

I've got an XL5519 and I'm pretty happy with it. Only gets out to about 90 yards or so, which is fine for my needs but may not suit yours. Setup is simple and build quality is excellent. Do some shooting with your setup at the wrong yardage, by that I mean... set it to forty and shoot at 30 and 50. I find that for most of what I do, I can just heave it at 30 and I'm covered to about 45. If I have time to move it, super, if not that's OK too. If you're planning on shooting 3D with it, check your local regs. It got me bumped up to "open" instead of "bowhunter unlimited" which means I have to shoot my hunting setup with the ultralight fat arrow, micrometer sight guys.

I just switched this spring from an IQ 7 pin to the HHA Optimizer DS-3519. It's the three pin version, so my hunting ranges are fixed without cluttering my sight picture and I can shoot out to 100yds for practice. Like you said, If you get comfortable above 60yds, 40 and under is so much easier. I couldn't be happier with the switch. I've always tried to practice long, but have found that a 7 pin doesn't work for my vision anymore.

I just switched this spring from an IQ 7 pin to the HHA Optimizer DS-3519. It's the three pin version, so my hunting ranges are fixed without cluttering my sight picture and I can shoot out to 100yds for practice. Like you said, If you get comfortable above 60yds, 40 and under is so much easier. I couldn't be happier with the switch. I've always tried to practice long, but have found that a 7 pin doesn't work for my vision anymore.

Are those 3 pins on a slider deal?

I've got an XL5519 and I'm pretty happy with it. Only gets out to about 90 yards or so, which is fine for my needs but may not suit yours. Setup is simple and build quality is excellent. Do some shooting with your setup at the wrong yardage, by that I mean... set it to forty and shoot at 30 and 50. I find that for most of what I do, I can just heave it at 30 and I'm covered to about 45. If I have time to move it, super, if not that's OK too. If you're planning on shooting 3D with it, check your local regs. It got me bumped up to "open" instead of "bowhunter unlimited" which means I have to shoot my hunting setup with the ultralight fat arrow, micrometer sight guys.

Oh no tournaments for me. Just really want to try those for fun 3D courses that seem to pop up early in the year, well at least before the big hunting season starts.

Thank you..

Been watching a lot of videos on the HHA Optimizer Ultra and various versions of it. I really like what I'm seeing on them. I like the threaded hood to change the brightness of the pin depending on time of day. I think I'm leaning towards the Optimizer Light King Pin XL because it can get out to 100, but I like how far the sight can be adjusted away from the peep in other models. Going to do more reading and comparing.

What did you not like about the Kingpin?

I didn't like the forward placement of the dial or the little magnifying glass that's supposed to aid in seeing the yardage numbers. I couldn't see the number at full draw or without it turned a certain way. It also felt heavier.

I didn't like the forward placement of the dial or the little magnifying glass that's supposed to aid in seeing the yardage numbers. I couldn't see the number at full draw or without it turned a certain way. It also felt heavier.

Thank you. I just now realized the price difference between the Optimizer Lite Ultra XL ($270) and Optimizer Lite King Pin XL ($360). It also seems that the King Pin doesn't come with the Rheostat housing that allows you to adjust brightness of pin while the Lite Ultra does. The difference in being able to practice shooting at targets 20 yards further (80 Lite Ultra vs 100 King Pin) isn't worth the $90 difference I feel. Both have 6' of fiber optics and 2" housing. I have a 3/8" peep, and after researching 2" housing vs 1 5/8" (non XL models) housings with a 3/8" peep I should be just fine with the 2" housing.

Thank you. I just now realized the price difference between the Optimizer Lite Ultra XL ($270) and Optimizer Lite King Pin XL ($360). It also seems that the King Pin doesn't come with the Rheostat housing that allows you to adjust brightness of pin while the Lite Ultra does. The difference in being able to practice shooting at targets 20 yards further (80 Lite Ultra vs 100 King Pin) isn't worth the $90 difference I feel. Both have 6' of fiber optics and 2" housing. I have a 3/8" peep, and after researching 2" housing vs 1 5/8" (non XL models) housings with a 3/8" peep I should be just fine with the 2" housing.

You're going to love it, it's a good quality piece. Let us know how it goes...

I have used both styles and right now I have settled on what for me, is the best of both worlds. I have a 3 pin black gold ascent slider. My top pin covers everything out to 30, 40, 50 which I also use as my aiming point when I go to the slider for everything beyond 50. 60 is my self imposed limit for in ideal conditions, but I like the flexibility to shoot further if I want to put a second arrow in an animal.

If I was going to head down the single pin road again. I would definately take advantage of a verticle pin and would go with the HHA over the trophy ridge.

If I'm not mistaken, the Kingpin I had had the rheostat housing. I went with the small housing, cause I've never lined my peep up with my sight housing. Never seen the point in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back