Need help picking a new hunting rig.

I have a 2008 4Runner. Since I live in the middle of Houston it makes more sense than a pickup. I tow a 5x8 trailer when hunting. The 4Runner does about 80% of what I want - that last 20% really costs.

I would not do the 4.6 liter in the Tundra. The 5.7 will get almost the same mileage, will not be working as hard (last longer in theory), and will have better resale value.

I'll say it too, do NOT buy the 4.6 Tundra. My buddy had one and it felt absolutely anemic compared to mine, and he got like 1 MPG better than my 5.7 does.

We rented a 2016 4Runner last weekend, which I liked it a lot. If we didn't have a 3rd kiddo coming I'd have one of those...

I have a 2nd gen tacoma and I love it. You could pick up a 2015 TRD OR with the tow package and put a camper shell on it. 265/75/16 tires will fit a stock tacoma (according to millions of tacomaworld threads). Or maybe a little lift, etc. That would be a sweet rig. I'm bummed that the 3rd gen is getting such bad reviews.

Out of the three you mentioned, I guess I would go with a 4runner because the Tundra is just so huge. I'd also consider an F150 with a leveling kit and some 35s. My brother runs this setup on a 2012 FX4 with the 5.0 liter and he gets 19 mpg most of the time. It's been a reliable truck for him.

The best truck I've ever owned was a 2008 frontier closely followed by the 2012 Titan I traded it in on. Unfortunately that truck got totaled so I bought a 2013 tundra. Nice truck with all the power you need but given a choice I'd take the Titan.

I am really leaning to tacoma TRD or the 4Runner. I really think the Tundra is too big
Go on a long trip riding in the back of someone's Tacoma and then decide if the Tundra is too big. My sons and I are all fairly tall, so a roomy backseat is a must. I also use my truck all day at work, for hunting (when that happens), if I go to town, etc.; the backseat is always full of something/someone and I've never felt the Tundra was too big. As a few others have said - if you get the Tundra get the 5.7 engine. As much as I liked my Tundra, I've now been driving Ford and liking the switch.

I have a 2016 Tacoma and wish I could dump it. The transmission in it is awful. Terrible daily driver but a beast in the dirt. In Southern California I spend too much time on the pavement and therefore the cons outweigh the pros. Still in the process of figuring out how I can dump it.

I hate when a thread dies with no closure. Therefore...after a very long test drive (rented truck for two days) I decided on the Tacoma TRD Off Road. I got a decent deal and it checks the most boxes. Thanks for all the help and advice and good luck this coming season.

I missed your update. Hopefully you will like the Tacoma. I had a 98 model that was one heck of a truck.

Back