Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need help picking a new hunting rig.

utah400elk

I am in a bit of a delema. I am going to be picking up a new hunting rig this next weekend and have it down to a couple choices.

I am looking at a new...Tundra (with 4.6 because don't need to tow much)
Tacoma either off road or SR5 double cab
4Runner (SR5)

All three vehicles are within $400 of each other. With the exception of the off-road Tacoma which is about $800 more than standard SR5 Tacoma.

The Tundra give me more room for my growing family but is almost too big for my needs. I also had a previous Tundra and the ride was a little rough. No real need for all the extra suspension for towing just to drive to my jump off spot.

I really like the look of the Tacoma and the size but I worry about the rear seat for my son who is growing way to fast. I am also a little worried about the issues with the transmission. I have friends who have the truck and don't notice it at all and I have driven it quite a bit. I thought it was fine.

My previous huntin rig was a FJ Cruiser and I loved it except for the rear doors. It was great off road and never let me down. I sold it for more than I bought it for. That has me looking at the 4Runner. Almost the same size but better back doors. The main issue is lack of a bed to put dead animals.

I am sold on Toyota. Just looking for any insight people might have.

Thanks for any help.

I'm interested in this as well. I've been looking at the Tacoma(extended cab with a camper shell), Tundra (hate the mileage), and the 4Runner(never had a SUV). I didn't like the way the Tacoma drove, although that's what I really wanted. The 4Runner drove great. I didn't drive the Tundra cause of the mileage(I would want the big engine).

How much bigger was the cargo area in the FJ versus the 4Runner?

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had a Tacoma Double cab SR5 4x4 for 7 years without a single problem. Averaged somewhere around 20 mpg in mixed driving (about 22 highway) and I took it everywhere feasible. My only gripe was that I often wished for a bigger bed. As for the leg room, my son was fine in the rear seat behind mama until he topped 6 ft. It was a great truck.

I don't think there is such a thing as too big for your primary rig. If you need to go offroad, then just get your 4 wheeler out. I'd rahter have too much truck than not enough.

The tundra is solid choice for reliability. The reliability is a trade off with old technology used in the drivetrain which results in poor MPG.

4 runner is another solid choice. Not many midsize SUV's that are rear wheel driven with 4 wheel drive.

Tacoma is legendary for a reliable off roader, however; the 3rd generation model has had a lot of issues. I'd recommend you research the vehicle and spend some time on the tacoma world forums prior to purchase. I would not purchase a 3rd gen tacoma based on gen2 reliability.

Most reliable off roader IMO is the nissan frontier. The truck is ancient, gets horrible gas mileage but with its 10+ year existence any issue from the truck as been fixed. The Pro-4x trim has very good suspension. I'd also give the chevy colorado zr2 a close look if looking for a midsize offroader.

For full size, I think it would be hard to pass on the F150. The GM twins are good options as well. These trucks give better mileage than the competition through newer technologies like turbo's (Ford) and cylinder deactivation (GM).

Maybe its my age but I just think truck prices have went bonkers. I think I'm going to seriously look at getting a high mpg suv, aluminum trailer and a side x side. Of course that won't work for everyone but would work fairly well for me.

My wife has a 2016 4Runner Limited and we absolutely love it. The 4Runners are still made in Japan and the quality is excellent. Like you my only concern would be putting bloody animals in the back.

Find a 1st or 2nd gen. Tacoma. Not up on the latest models,but I have 328k on my '98
It still goes anywhere I need to go w/camp & an elk or two. Did wish it was a TRD still...

I have the 3rd Generation Tacoma and I would strongly suggest against it. Yes it has better clearance, better breakover and approach angles, and has the ability to be as nimble as a goat off road but I've had mine in the shop for everything from shifting problems to computer to suspension. Several issues identified have no known fixes according to Toyota. In the 20 months I've had the truck it's been in the shop at least dozen times. If you have multiple friends over 6' tall you can bank on them being uncomfortable.

I am looking at a 2017 Tacoma in hopes that they have addressed some of the issues. I always avoid he first year of a remodel. What specifically are the issues you have had. I am leaning towards the 4Runner with a good roof rack or the basic SR5 Tacoma and I will add an aftermarket suspension upgrade and more aggressive tires.

Maybe I take to much stuff but I could never fit camp in a Tacoma. I almost bought one a few yrs ago but couldn't on the size of the bed. One cooler and it's full.

sunrise 7 17 014.JPGhome&hunts 035.JPG
Mine is the old full bed, ext. cab. I'm 6'2" and fit in the bed & have weathered a few storms back there & travels cross country.
The ex & I would camp out of it.I hunt solo & rarely have anyone in the cramped back,but did cram 5 once at a family get together at the lake.
One whole elk or several bagged cows,as this is one...

If you go with a 4runner you can always put a hitch hauler on it to have extra room for bloody animals (most hold 500lbs). Also can be used for extra storage for coolers and such on long trips. Also works well for firewood. I know some people say that you get exhaust fumes blowing all over your animal but I've never had a problem.

Last edited:
Of the choices you listed, it'd be this order for me and my situation:
1. Tundra with a topper
2. 4runner
3. Tacoma

The mileage difference between the Tundra and Tacoma is not enough to warrant the smaller vehicle IMO.

I have had two Tundras with the 5.7. Mileage sucks but i drive them like I stole them. Zero repair costs for 150000 miles on my 2011. Resale value is phenomenal. I bought my 2015 online at Hatch Toyota for $36000 out the door including upgraded wheels and a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. The F150 was a lot more expensive out the door so I passed but they are nice trucks. I buy the double cab which has plenty of room and it rides good IMO. The gas is not a big deal when you look at the actual resale value.

If you go with a 4runner you can always put a hitch hauler on it to have extra room for bloody animals (most hold 500lbs). Also can be used for extra storage for coolers and such on long trips. Also works well for firewood. I know some people say that you get exhaust fumes blowing all over your animal but I've never had a problem.

I'm actually in the market for a ~1 year old 4Runner right now after driving Subies for 15 years. The hitch-hauler idea is great, but you might want to consider a body-bag/tarp for mud/snow/extended trips. A buddy does this with his wife's Yukon just to appease the better half. Good luck w/ your decision!

When I was recently in the market for a new truck, I passed on the Tacoma out of concern that my son (over 6' tall) would not fit well in it. I wound up getting a new Nissan Titan. In the distant past, my hunting rig was a Nissan Pathfinder. It worked great for family trips, camping, etc. but putting animals and wet, muddy gear in the back was not ideal.

I would second avoiding a 16 or 17 Tacoma. I just sold my 2016 back to the dealer after dealing with multiple issues in only a year of ownership. Mine was the 4 door TRD Offroad model. You will learn to hate the 6 speed transmission in no time if you decide to go that route. With that said, I've owned an 2006 Tacoma, and a 2010 and 2014 Tundra. The tundra's were the best in my opinion. Plenty of power, crummy gas mileage, but a lot of comfort especially offroad. With that said, I just picked up a 100 series Land Cruiser as a daily driver and hunting rig. So far, I'm very much impressed with the comfort and power. Good luck in your search, but if you're thinking of a new Tacoma, ask the dealer to let you take it for a day or two and really test drive the crap out of it.

I would not do the 4.6 liter in the Tundra. The 5.7 will get almost the same mileage, will not be working as hard (last longer in theory), and will have better resale value.

I would not do the 4.6 liter in the Tundra. The 5.7 will get almost the same mileage, will not be working as hard (last longer in theory), and will have better resale value.

This

I have had one of each the the 4.6 got no better mileage and the resale is a killer.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back