Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Need new scope mounted - Cabela's for free or gunsmith?

Also, I have never lapped any of my rings ( I use Talley Low 1-Piece), but it probably is a really good idea to have that done. If the Smith includes the lap in that $50 price, it's probably a really good deal.

I would pay for the smith to do it if you don't have comfort level or tools. Many scopes have been damaged by being over torqued. I have had to redo everyone one Cabela's/Sportsman's has done for me. I'm sure some of the guys there know what they are doing, but that was not my experience. I finally got fed up and bought a bore sight, torque wrench, level. Probably about $200 all in for tools. If your going to mount one rifle and keep it on there for years, just pay the smith.

That was my concern too. I know that Cabela's will do it for free but I'm concerned about how good of a job they'll actually do. A gun smith takes pride in their work and specializes in that type of work.

I've never had a scope mounted by Cabelas (or anyone else for that matter) but judging by the talent I've seen on the other side of the gun counter, you could give the tools to a chimpanzee and probably get as good of a final result.

It baffles me that people don't mount their own scopes but to each their own.

I'd take it to a smith if I wanted it done by someone else.

I agree, with Cabelas you're taking somewhat of a gamble. Granted I'm sure that many of the people who work their know what they're doing, but some don't. Many people can mount a scope to a rifle and have it be good enough for some hunters, but you've got a real nice scope and a nice rifle so I would want it done right.

If you want it done absolutely perfectly, then yeah. Get a vice and a torque wrench and a lapping bar and a scope level kit.

Or just do it like 99% of hunters. Use a screwdriver and the universal german torque spec: "guttentite"

If this is a $1500 precision long range rifle, then, by all means, disregard my advice. Otherwise, just watch some youtube videos and set it up yourself. You won't hurt anything by trying and you will learn in the process. Consider getting some blue loctite as insurance on your bases and rings. Best of luck!

That's the way my dad mounted his scopes back in the 60's when no one knew any better. That's the way we still do it and have never had any negative effects.

If it effects my accuracy at 1000 yards I don't care, my longest shot in over 40 years of hunting was just over 400 yards.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back