Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What is your favorite brand of AR-15

Here's my 2 cents.

There's a whole lot of WTF in this thread. For as much good info I've read here about bullet selection and construction im surprised to read people talking about an AR shooting through houses. Also, IMO racking the slide is about as smart as uncle joe teling people to shoot two blasts off the balcony. Why would you want to give up your location and weapon choice? If someone's in your house do you want them to know you have a weapon and where you are or would you rather have the element of surprise on your side?

You're assuming I don't already have one in the pipe :hump: All I have to do is flip on my strobe, confirm my target, and pull the trigger if need be. Your assumptions are coming off as arrogance. I'm using a weapon system I have trained with for years and know inside and out. A shotgun works perfectly for my house set up, and I know damned well all of you wannabe Rambo's out here would probably not be able to make the required shots under stress or coming out of a deep sleep. You get your fancy little red dot scopes or eotechs and think you're all set. Tell us how that works when someone does break in and starts to shoot at you first. I'd be willing to bet that at least half of you would piss your pants and drop your fancy AR. That's not me being a dick...that's brutal honesty coming from different combat zones. You get this false sense of security having 30 rounds, but those rounds have to be on target in order to be worth a damn. I'll take my buckshot knowing that I won't always have perfect shots and have a spread for the 'what if'. I'm old and have seen more combat than I care to remember, so I'm not about to play strategic war games with someone in my house in the middle of the night. I am firing for effect and damage, and I don't care if my weapon is pretty or fancy or the latest greatest fad. From my bedroom hallway to just about anywhere I can shoot to the way my house is set up, I'm flat out ruining someone's day with buckshot.

....and I don't have an Uncle Joe

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I know this thread is about an AR for Home Defense, but I gotta back Cush on this one. If you have never been in close quarters, High Stress, DIE OR NOT DIE..... you're only guessing. I cannot begin tell y'all how many times I wished I had a Mossberg 500 over my rattle trap M1911 !

You're assuming I don't already have one in the pipe :hump: All I have to do is flip on my strobe, confirm my target, and pull the trigger if need be. Your assumptions are coming off as arrogance. I'm using a weapon system I have trained with for years and know inside and out. A shotgun works perfectly for my house set up, and I know damned well all of you wannabe Rambo's out here would probably not be able to make the required shots under stress or coming out of a deep sleep. You get your fancy little red dot scopes or eotechs and think you're all set. Tell us how that works when someone does break in and starts to shoot at you first. I'd be willing to bet that at least half of you would piss your pants and drop your fancy AR. That's not me being a dick...that's brutal honesty coming from different combat zones. You get this false sense of security having 30 rounds, but those rounds have to be on target in order to be worth a damn. I'll take my buckshot knowing that I won't always have perfect shots and have a spread for the 'what if'. I'm old and have seen more combat than I care to remember, so I'm not about to play strategic war games with someone in my house in the middle of the night. I am firing for effect and damage, and I don't care if my weapon is pretty or fancy or the latest greatest fad. From my bedroom hallway to just about anywhere I can shoot to the way my house is set up, I'm flat out ruining someone's day with buckshot.

....and I don't have an Uncle Joe

Ha, ha, ha, my comment about racking the slide obviously got up in your feelings. I actually did assume that you didn't already have one in the hole because if you're racking the slide and throwing one out that's even dumber then doing it on an empty chamber. Again, how is giving up your location, weapon choice and the element of surprise beneficial when you're being attacked?

For whatever reason (possibly a reading comprehension issue) you've taken offense to my post. Let me be clear for you. I was not mocking your choice of weapon. My primary hd weapon for years was a mossberg 500 and I still have it loaded with buck in a certain part of my house. My advise was directed to the OP because he specifically asked about an AR. Hence, why i stated in my post "You should be the only one to know what works best for you and your situation and what your most comfortable with, especially in a high stress situation." You didn't quote that part though.

You cry about my assumptions and then go on to write about nothing but how everyone else will react, what experience they have and what weapon is best suited for their training, experience and home layout. You come off as a very envious and insecure person when you go off on a diatribe against "fancy" AR's and defending your shotgun, which was never attacked.

I guess the "uncle Joe" comment will just have to continue sailing over your head because I've already spent too much time responding to foolishness.

Ha, ha, ha, my comment about racking the slide obviously got up in your feelings. I actually did assume that you didn't already have one in the hole because if you're racking the slide and throwing one out that's even dumber then doing it on an empty chamber. Again, how is giving up your location, weapon choice and the element of surprise beneficial when you're being attacked?

For whatever reason (possibly a reading comprehension issue) you've taken offense to my post. Let me be clear for you. I was not mocking your choice of weapon. My primary hd weapon for years was a mossberg 500 and I still have it loaded with buck in a certain part of my house. My advise was directed to the OP because he specifically asked about an AR. Hence, why i stated in my post "You should be the only one to know what works best for you and your situation and what your most comfortable with, especially in a high stress situation." You didn't quote that part though.

You cry about my assumptions and then go on to write about nothing but how everyone else will react, what experience they have and what weapon is best suited for their training, experience and home layout. You come off as a very envious and insecure person when you go off on a diatribe against "fancy" AR's and defending your shotgun, which was never attacked.

I guess the "uncle Joe" comment will just have to continue sailing over your head because I've already spent too much time responding to foolishness.

...kinder gentler Cush...kinder gentler Cush....kinder gentler Cush.....must not revert to old ways on the newb....

I'll keep drinking my cherry shine and pepsi and pretend you're not really a douchebag

Have a nice evening

Seriously guys I think we should all focus on "got the thumbs up from the wife to get a carbine length AR". Friend I don't care if you told the Mrs. home defense or zombie squad recon, get another rifle while the getting is good. I bought an upper from Palmetto State Armory and built up the lower. Easily under $1000 and very pleased with performance. I enjoyed putting together the lower and felt I got to know the system hands on. I went mid length and the rifle goes bang or bang bang bang with decent accuracy. Enjoy it.

Buds had a couple of AR's for under $400.00. Can't beat that, it's a far cry from what they were going for when everybody thought that Pantsuit was a shoo-in for the Presidency. Get 'em while they're cheap.

Buds had a couple of AR's for under $400.00. Can't beat that, it's a far cry from what they were going for when everybody thought that Pantsuit was a shoo-in for the Presidency. Get 'em while they're cheap.

Can you save me some time and looking through 100 different manufacturers and give me the low down on the ones on sale? I want to get one for my wife. Thanks!

Better leave the 9mm in the safe too...

https://youtu.be/X0qgQoej5zE

I don't know how true to life this test really is, but I am actually surprised that both rounds went through all 10 sheets of drywall and still had quite a bit of penetration on the ballistic gel. Interesting enough, I just bought a 9 mm handgun as well. Maybe you military guys are onto something with the shotguns.

Can you save me some time and looking through 100 different manufacturers and give me the low down on the ones on sale? I want to get one for my wife. Thanks!

Sorry John, I don't remember the manufacturers.... I have an AR-10 & a AR-15 both are DPMS rifles. I like them. Just look on Bud's...I know Palmetto state armory has some smoking hot deals too.

Back