MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Got Moose?

idnative1948

Will be helping my little brother out in October to see if he can connect with one of the five tags offered where we hunt. We have the necssary equipment for breaking down an elk, but have been wondering if we need anything special for moose or than just more of what we take. Creek is in camp and are about an 1 1/2 hour away of being able to hang in a cooler if needed. Our main concern is getting the meat cooled. We are usually able to bring out an elk in quarters.

Just some moose meat bags, Wyoming saw for the ribs, don't leave them. If you know how to bone out a quarter you'll save a lot of weight. A 4x6 throw away tarp to lay the quarters on as you take apart the bull. Best of luck.

Highly suggest cable winch with some strong rope to help get moose out of water then to help lift leg up so can cut from carcass. Took me 45 minutes to get rear quarter off though was solo at that moment. Each subsequent quarter was faster. I have field-dressed dozens of critters, usually solo, but the moose was my first moose and they are a lot of dead weight that wants to lay flat.

If you shoot one in the water,hmmm. And if you shoot one close to water, they'll tend to run to water. When I shot mine in BC, the guide used a scapel and a straight hunting type knife to cut thru the hide up the back to the head while camping it. Rest was scalpel, many blades!

Each cut of of the knife exposes more meat to airborne bacteria, therefore we do not bone out moose.
We do take a bottle of vinegar (or citric acid) and spray each quarter if one of us shoots a bull early
in our 10-day hunt. I always take the tongue and heart both of which are substantial.

I always have 200 feet of rope and a rope winch because I hunt in canoe country.
Last year my bull died in knee deep water which was no problem for me to solo
butcher in 4 hours with waders, a rope winch and plastic sled. I quartered with
hide on, the floated each quarter to shore using a large snowmachine plastic sled.
Two years ago my partner shot a bull that died in the middle of a lake.
We used 2 rope winches to winch him to shore and used the sled to drag each
quarter up into the woods, then skinned and hanged on a meat pole with a
tarp above to keep sun and rain off the quarters.

Quarters can exceed 100 pounds therefore a high quality meat bag is crucial.
We use extra large cotton meat bags that have been triple-stiched.
At home, rinse out in the rain barrels, wash in washing machine, and
good to go for next years hunt.

Last edited:
Each cut of of the knife exposes more meat to airborne bacteria, therefore we do not bone out moose.
We do take a bottle of vinegar (or citric acid) and spray each quarter if one of us shoots a bull early
in our 10-day hunt. I always take the tongue and heart both of which are substantial.

I always have 200 feet of rope and a rope winch because I hunt in canoe country.
Last year my bull died in knee deep water which was no problem for me to solo
butcher in 4 hours with waders, a rope winch and plastic sled. I quartered with
hide on, the floated each quarter to shore using a large snowmachine plastic sled.
Two years ago my partner shot a bull that died in the middle of a lake.
We used 2 rope winches to winch him to shore and used the sled to drag each
quarter up into the woods, then skinned and hanged on a meat pole with a
tarp above to keep sun and rain off the quarters.

Quarters can exceed 100 pounds therefore a high quality meat bag is crucial.
We use extra large cotton meat bags that have been triple-stiched.
At home, rinse out in the rain barrels, wash in washing machine, and
good to go for next years hunt.

Thanks for the reminder. I plan on taking my Jet-sled, I have 300ft of rope, two meat saws, a rope winch and a com-a-long.

Take along a couple of high school boys with something to prove. Salt for the cape, especially if its warm, probably not an issue in October but be safe. Definitely a sled.
Citric acid and a spray bottle if its warm. I bone all mine at the house, just seems easier to handle (if heavier.)

Take along a couple of high school boys with something to prove. Salt for the cape, especially if its warm, probably not an issue in October but be safe. Definitely a sled.
Citric acid and a spray bottle if its warm. I bone all mine at the house, just seems easier to handle (if heavier.)

Thanks Nick! We will have a couple of big 'ol young guys in camp to help out. One with some butcher experience and other is going to do the cape so we don't muck it up. I know it sounds like we are getting ahead of ourselves, but we have always been heavy into planning for the unforeseen. We have had to help waaay too many guys over the years whose planning was less than steller.

Back