Caribou Gear Tarp

Unit 6 WY

isu22andy

Anyone have an experience here ? Just a couple Iowa farm kids coming out to give it a go on some public ground . Go opener or wait ? Would like to go opener as harvest will be rolling and need to get back as soon as possible but if I'm dodging bullets and fighting crowds I'll wait till a rain day and go later in the season . Public looks okay but not really promising .

I've hunted on public land in 6 since 2001. My attraction to the area has more to do with convenience than anything else, I have friends that live in Newcastle. Pressure is usually pretty light due to the lack of big tracts of accessible public land. Most of our goats are taken less than a mile from the truck with about half of those spotted from the road or 2-track. I never noticed much difference in the way the herds act as the season moves along with the exception that they can be a little jumpy on opening day. Real trophy class bucks are rare, but if you're willing to walk and pass up a few smaller ones, you can find some that go 14-inches or better.

I've hunted on public land in 6 since 2001. My attraction to the area has more to do with convenience than anything else, I have friends that live in Newcastle. Pressure is usually pretty light due to the lack of big tracts of accessible public land. Most of our goats are taken less than a mile from the truck with about half of those spotted from the road or 2-track. I never noticed much difference in the way the herds act as the season moves along with the exception that they can be a little jumpy on opening day. Real trophy class bucks are rare, but if you're willing to walk and pass up a few smaller ones, you can find some that go 14-inches or better.

Awesome reply . Thank you . We are not trophy head hunters but would like to just get our feet wet on a western hunt and want a good idea of what the animals are in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back