Ethical or Not?

They are quite about more open about thier feelings on that forum. I hope they understand that is not the way 99% of us "Yanks" hunt and these are the actions of a select few and not the masses. I hope that the Hushin crew read all of this feedback and realizes the 2 steps backwards in positive hunter perception they caused.

Now after clicking on Greenhorn's link, I see us American hunters are the butt of the Kiwi's jokes. I don't blame them...not the video representation I want floating around of how us "tourists" hunt.

The kid in the upper left of the photo has that, "I hope nobody ever sees this ridiculous photo" look on his face. What kind of backpack is that? - must be what they carried the assortment of Mtn Ops hats around in. Next bet I make somebody will be that the loser has to wear a Mtn Ops flatty around for an entire week, even to bed.

One of the great things about NZ hunting is that there aren't many hunting rules and each hunter gets to decide on what's ethical. It does lead to 'hunting' as shown on the video but most kiwi hunters are appalled by what these guys are doing. The apparent chasing of the chamois is the real issue, and probably illegal. It's definitely not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

I remember seeing a video awhile back w/ Rinella and Remi Warren shooting a goose w/ a centerfire rifle. Both of them seemed clear in that this was "gathering camp meat," not a hunting experience, and whoever pulled the trigger made the comment "I feel like I just did something illegal." To me, that total transparency made it okay. To shoot something being chased by a helo is a totally different ball of wax...morons.

fuel for the antis...

I think topics like these are useful to shed light on the fact that not all "hunters" are alike, so i was surprised it was locked on Rokslide.

I wish there was another name people would associate with people like that so I dont get grouped with them by identifying as a hunter.

I actually had a short conversation with whoever runs their instagram page about this topic... My biggest problem with the video was putting someone behind the rifle that literally knew how to pull the trigger and that was about it. They stated that he made a perfect one shot kill and that plenty of seasoned hunters get a bit excited. I have never been so excited that I couldn't set my rifle into battery and did not know whether the rifle was loaded or not. They did state, however that NZ govt will pay a bounty on animals and that everything is different over there, so on and so forth.

I understand that this was a new experience for them and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but lets hope that they put out a rebuttal video explaining themselves to hopefully save face and build on to the outdoorsman brand, rather than tarnish it.

Most of these "famous" hunters or organizations are very responsive on social media. If you may have a problem with the, try contacting them personally. I believe that there is more good in the world than bad, so don't let the bad rule the day. Seek to fix the problem rather than throwing fuel on the flames and watch it burn out of control.

High fence and heli hunting.....

Would love to hear Big Fin comment, especially after having them on his podcast.

It seems like their response is "It's different over there." Maybe the ethics are different over there, but does that mean your own ethics should change depending on where you hunt? I don't buy into that.

I'd give them the benefit if they hadn't done this before but, they have. That Eric guy has taken horrible shots at elk with his bow. Most notably the Fire Bull that he shot twice at 90 yards over the span of a couple days. Both were bad shots. Then on a most recent hunt he did it again.

I was surprised it was locked on Rokslide.

Don't be. RS locks any thread with a negative slant about one of their sponsors/ advertising partners. Go start a thread questioning Kifaru and watch what happens.

I was unaware they were a sponsor/partner. I suppose it makes sense that they would lock it, whether or not i agree with it.

I actually had a short conversation with whoever runs their instagram page about this topic... My biggest problem with the video was putting someone behind the rifle that literally knew how to pull the trigger and that was about it. They stated that he made a perfect one shot kill and that plenty of seasoned hunters get a bit excited. I have never been so excited that I couldn't set my rifle into battery and did not know whether the rifle was loaded or not. They did state, however that NZ govt will pay a bounty on animals and that everything is different over there, so on and so forth.

I understand that this was a new experience for them and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but lets hope that they put out a rebuttal video explaining themselves to hopefully save face and build on to the outdoorsman brand, rather than tarnish it.

Most of these "famous" hunters or organizations are very responsive on social media. If you may have a problem with the, try contacting them personally. I believe that there is more good in the world than bad, so don't let the bad rule the day. Seek to fix the problem rather than throwing fuel on the flames and watch it burn out of control.

This was no bounty hunt, nor was it a cull hunt. Despite their justification that things are different in New Zealand, they were going for the best of all worlds and got bitten by this backlash.

Watch Remi's Solo Hntr Tahr hunt and in that video 1) see what a 'decent wild stag' looks like (half the size of the high fence ones), and 2) watch somebody do it 'right' in his words, hiking/hunting every day from the valley floor. No helicopter would have flown in those weather conditions anyhow. Or, read Aussie Hunter's post of his experience. https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...Aussie-Hunter-New-Zealand-Tahr&highlight=tahr

It's not that these guys weren't capable of doing a fair chase hunt down there, but they just chose not to.

Oh, I agree with you guys. It's definitely not my kind of hunt. Remi and Rinella's hunt was a prime example of what I would be interested in.

the R's of the hunting industry have set the bar to high...Randy, Remi, and Rinella. Everyone else will always be held to the same standard, and for good reason.

I'd give them the benefit if they hadn't done this before but, they have. That Eric guy has taken horrible shots at elk with his bow. Most notably the Fire Bull that he shot twice at 90 yards over the span of a couple days. Both were bad shots. Then on a most recent hunt he did it again.

A lot of people asked him in the Youtube video comment sections how far he was shooting at the "Fire bull" and what equipment (draw weight) etc he was using. I never saw a reply and I assumed it was because he was rightly embarrassed by his unethical choice to shoot at that magnificent bull twice with almost the same result both times. These guys are clowns and I was disappointed that both Rinella and Randy have had them on their podcasts.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back