Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ethical or Not?

Can someone link the video? The original link on this thread says video does not exist

That being said, "hunting" from a helo, if that's what this video is, is just about as ethical to me as having a deer feeder and waiting in a stand-- which is all people do in my childhood state of Texas. It's not hunting to me. It's lazy and using an uneven playing field. Too much technology takes the sport, fun, and skill out of all this. There always seems to be the same kind of guy talking about and wanting to helo hunt hogs, and it's never a guy I'd want to have a beer with.

They took it down

Can someone link the video? The original link on this thread says video does not exist.

All is silent on the western front lol. They are normally all over social media and...... nothing.

The kid in the upper left of the photo has that, "I hope nobody ever sees this ridiculous photo" look on his face. What kind of backpack is that? - must be what they carried the assortment of Mtn Ops hats around in. Next bet I make somebody will be that the winner gets to wear a Mtn Ops flatty around for an entire week, even to bed.

Fixed.

A quality trophy crown for quality winners...

Solo hunter did an episode with the gritty bowman dude where he sat in a stand over bait (gathered apples) to hunt blacktail deer. Hunting on a small property is completely different than hunting large areas of public land. It can be difficult to bring deer to your property if you don't manage it a certain way. Over the last couple years I have switched from this type of hunting and I now hunt the public land on foot. I'm still new at this method (hence my username) but I find it more interesting and rewarding than hunting in a stand over bait (or with dogs, or drives). But I'll still spend a few days on our little 40 acre property because it is tradition.

Not really into the heli hunting but I may be seeing it out of context. And I definitely wouldn't put it on the internet if I ever did it. I wouldn't put out a video out of me sitting over bait either even though it is totally legal in my state.

i get that ethics are ultimately a personal choice, based on what you feel is right for you, at the time. our ethics constantly evolve. what is ethical in oregon may not be ethical in pennsylvania, and that is perfectly ok. however, i just feel like someone, especially with mass publicity, should owe everyone an explanation for their decision to chase game in a certain way. not so much that i care how you killed an animal, but if you can explain it to the masses, maybe we can get some more support from them, if they see that the goal was to provide organic, free range meat for their families.

In addition to not being fair chase it looked like a fine way to die in a firey helo crash to me... Unsubscribe.

Dropping guys off by chopper is a normal way to hunt over there, but not when the chopper goes back up and chases the animals back to the shooter like he did and that's what the video showed and the poor SOB couldn't even work the bolt on the rifle, LOL! Hard to believe that wasn't edited out!

i get that ethics are ultimately a personal choice, based on what you feel is right for you, at the time. our ethics constantly evolve. what is ethical in oregon may not be ethical in pennsylvania, and that is perfectly ok. however, i just feel like someone, especially with mass publicity, should owe everyone an explanation for their decision to chase game in a certain way. not so much that i care how you killed an animal, but if you can explain it to the masses, maybe we can get some more support from them, if they see that the goal was to provide organic, free range meat for their families.

Good point. If you put yourself out there for public consumption, there is a higher standard that need to be met.

Flogging a dead horse here but just to clarify, they don't generally have a bounty so to speak. There are areas where the govt doesn't want to tahr expanding to so they get volunteers to cull them out. My kiwi mate does it and one of the conditions is that you can't keep the bulls horns so it's definitely not similar.

For Australians and kiwis helihunting is extremely unethical and reserved for rich lazy people who don't want to earn it. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of a guy hiking all the way up into the mountains after a red stag, gets almost to shooting range and a heli comes in and shoots it, hooks up and flies away with it. Sums it up.

What they generally do is find a tahr or chamois and chase it till it's absolutely knackered then hop out and shoot it.

I always thought the hushin blokes were flogs but that video solidified it. It's legal but barely, with real hunters pushing to have it banned.

You can't compare it to shooting pigs from a hell if that's for control and this is for trophy.

My $0.02

Flogging a dead horse here but just to clarify, they don't generally have a bounty so to speak. There are areas where the govt doesn't want to tahr expanding to so they get volunteers to cull them out. My kiwi mate does it and one of the conditions is that you can't keep the bulls horns so it's definitely not similar.

For Australians and kiwis helihunting is extremely unethical and reserved for rich lazy people who don't want to earn it. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of a guy hiking all the way up into the mountains after a red stag, gets almost to shooting range and a heli comes in and shoots it, hooks up and flies away with it. Sums it up.

What they generally do is find a tahr or chamois and chase it till it's absolutely knackered then hop out and shoot it.

I always thought the hushin blokes were flogs but that video solidified it. It's legal but barely, with real hunters pushing to have it banned.

You can't compare it to shooting pigs from a hell if that's for control and this is for trophy.

My $0.02

The video link is "Unavailable" for me... Do you have a working link? I'd like to see what the fuss is about.

I've got plenty of respect for the Hushin' crew, and I don't endorse high-fence hunts, but it can't be ignored as far as it being a part of the industry. New Zealand is a whole different animal as far as legal and ethical standards, and it seems like in these few above mentioned instances that they kind of went with the crowd. Yes, keep in mind these guys do need content to make money, but in all honesty, when in rome. Do as the romans do. I'm not gonna vouch and claim that they are totally clean of any shame in the taking o animal like this but it's hardly a god-awful act. These guys have the paper work, they are following LEGAL guidelines and hunted in an ETHICAL manner based on the norms of NZ. I see the dilemma from our view coming out of the great U.S. of A but lets be real, helicopter hunting, high fence, 'packaged' hunts are the norm in that part of the world. Don't despise these mostly stand-up guys because they took an easy road. Just my thoughts.

I've got plenty of respect for the Hushin' crew, and I don't endorse high-fence hunts, but it can't be ignored as far as it being a part of the industry. New Zealand is a whole different animal as far as legal and ethical standards, and it seems like in these few above mentioned instances that they kind of went with the crowd. Yes, keep in mind these guys do need content to make money, but in all honesty, when in rome. Do as the romans do. I'm not gonna vouch and claim that they are totally clean of any shame in the taking o animal like this but it's hardly a god-awful act. These guys have the paper work, they are following LEGAL guidelines and hunted in an ETHICAL manner based on the norms of NZ. I see the dilemma from our view coming out of the great U.S. of A but lets be real, helicopter hunting, high fence, 'packaged' hunts are the norm in that part of the world. Don't despise these mostly stand-up guys because they took an easy road. Just my thoughts.

Please get real and rethink your thoughts GR newbie! That "Hushin" bunch doing the video we're talking about has made more unethical videos than Carter has made liver pills if you haven't looked them up and watched them! Videos where a guy takes a head shot at dang near 700 yards on a bull that is almost broadside and they say what a great shot he made. Another shows one of them shooting at a bull standing broadside at distance and he nips hair on the top of it's rear end and then shoots again as it runs straight away. Yep, he missed the vitals on a standing bull by at least 4' and then that second shot just happens to hit it in the back of the head while running away and they give the standard fist pumps and jump for joy saying what a great shot he made, LOL! They are a friggin joke and that NZ "hunt" was just another example of guys just in an "industry" to make money any way they can to put videos out and make a buck!

Last edited:

You may give them your respect but they deserve none from actual hunters. To call that a "hunt" is far from the truth. The animal had no chance whatsoever. It was just another opportunity for those clowns to kill something on camera.

You're not wrong, I guess my view on the issue wasn't totally clear. I missed some of the earlier posts on this thread which I was just able to go back through and see. Kind of defeats the purpose of my argument.

I looked them up after hearing them on Randy's podcast. I vowed, after that, to never watch another one of their videos and to never purchase anything made by Mtn Ops.

Never been a fan but my new years resolution is to not be such a hater. I'm sure if the video was something to be proud of it would still be available for viewing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back