Caribou Gear

Ethical or Not?

I don’t own a flat brim, but my youngest daughters nickname is Broheme. Maybe I’ll buy one to incite the vigilante crew.

shit...these guys wearing flat brims are late to the party, they aren't setting a trend. Thirty years too late "bro"...

My late grandfather, IIRC, he shot that deer in about 1995 or 1996...and was either 79 or 80 years old.

grampswt1.JPG

Last edited:
Does she tuck her ears in? Post a picture of her in a Vias t shirt one size too small and we will judge her.

Ha! Damnit....no KUIU for her and she has yet to find a camo company that makes a shirt small enough for her....

shit...these guys wearing flat brims are late to the party, they aren't setting a trend. Thirty years too late "bro"...

My late grandfather, IIRC, he shot that deer in about 1995 or 1996...and was either 79 or 80 years old.

grampswt1.JPG

That's gold! Awesome pic Buzz.

grampswt1.JPG

Obviously didn’t get the pants on the ground memo.

Cool share Buzz.

Last edited:

grampswt1.JPG

Very cool share! I never said they were setting a trend?

I realized I made a typo in my original post, and apparently many people missed it when I said, "That's probably not fair* to other guys that wear that style of hat, lol."

That post was, I thought quite clearly, aimed at the Hushin guys and not anyone here. The "bro culture" that I've been exposed to seems to be generally loud, obnoxious, and selfish. And to me it seems like they wear a lot of flat brimmed hats, lol. I never accused any of y'all and I would never have guessed so many were so sensitive.

Carnage2011: No, I wouldn't have assumed your wife is part of the "bro culture" because she wears a flat brimmed hat. But if she posted videos on Youtube acting like the Hushin guys, I probably would make that assumption.

IdahoBugler: I couldn't begin to guess how you represent the hunting community. Do you have videos posted on Youtube of your antics that I can watch, like I did with the Hushin guys, in order to make a guess? I don't care how people look or what they wear. I care about their personality and how they act. You see how I mentioned their personalities in my comment, not just the hat style (which was intended as a joke)?

I've got plenty of respect for the Hushin' crew, and I don't endorse high-fence hunts, but it can't be ignored as far as it being a part of the industry. New Zealand is a whole different animal as far as legal and ethical standards, and it seems like in these few above mentioned instances that they kind of went with the crowd. Yes, keep in mind these guys do need content to make money, but in all honesty, when in rome. Do as the romans do. I'm not gonna vouch and claim that they are totally clean of any shame in the taking o animal like this but it's hardly a god-awful act. These guys have the paper work, they are following LEGAL guidelines and hunted in an ETHICAL manner based on the norms of NZ. I see the dilemma from our view coming out of the great U.S. of A but lets be real, helicopter hunting, high fence, 'packaged' hunts are the norm in that part of the world. Don't despise these mostly stand-up guys because they took an easy road. Just my thoughts.

I wont question who gets and doesn't get your respect, I personally watch a lot of the Hush videos, but I do think you need to re-think your logic on what you posted. "When in Rome. Do as the romans do." That is a terrible analogy. Someone might say, "When in the late 1800's, do what commercial hunters did." "When in Syria, do what ISIS does." Those examples may be a little extreme, but it gets the point across that just because you are somewhere or in a certain time period, it does not mean you get to just act how "they" do. Read post #71 from Aussie_hunter_JD, hunting in Helos is not the norm and it is not ethical. You say ETHICAL based off the norms of NZ, but back in the late 1800s, killing more than your fair share of game was ETHICAL and LEGAL to many people based off the norms at that time in the US. Thank god we had great leadership during that time by Roosevelt and others to stand up and make a change causing a shift in the behavior of what was ethical and not-ethical. It is just as important today that people don't just go with the "norm" but they recognize when something is not right, stand up and make a change.

We can all sit an argue the ethics of this hunt because ethics are different from person to person, country to country. An ethic is a body of moral principals or values associated with a particular culture or group. In the great words of Jim Posewitz, the definition of an ethical hunter is "A person who follows all the rules of proper behavior in a way that will satisfy what society expects of him or her as a hunter." Myself and many others don't believe these guys were satisfying what society expects of them as hunters during this particular hunt. If people don't recognize the issue, call them out on it to create a change, we would be just going along with the "norm". I believe the good people in the hunting industry hope to set examples for others and then there are some that just want fame and fortune. To be good you need to be careful on what you put out there and truly lead by setting a good example. "Taking the easy road" is not a good example. Just my thoughts.

I wont question who gets and doesn't get your respect, I personally watch a lot of the Hush videos, but I do think you need to re-think your logic on what you posted. "When in Rome. Do as the romans do." That is a terrible analogy. Someone might say, "When in the late 1800's, do what commercial hunters did." "When in Syria, do what ISIS does." Those examples may be a little extreme, but it gets the point across that just because you are somewhere or in a certain time period, it does not mean you get to just act how "they" do. Read post #71 from Aussie_hunter_JD, hunting in Helos is not the norm and it is not ethical. You say ETHICAL based off the norms of NZ, but back in the late 1800s, killing more than your fair share of game was ETHICAL and LEGAL to many people based off the norms at that time in the US. Thank god we had great leadership during that time by Roosevelt and others to stand up and make a change causing a shift in the behavior of what was ethical and not-ethical. It is just as important today that people don't just go with the "norm" but they recognize when something is not right, stand up and make a change.

We can all sit an argue the ethics of this hunt because ethics are different from person to person, country to country. An ethic is a body of moral principals or values associated with a particular culture or group. In the great words of Jim Posewitz, the definition of an ethical hunter is "A person who follows all the rules of proper behavior in a way that will satisfy what society expects of him or her as a hunter." Myself and many others don't believe these guys were satisfying what society expects of them as hunters during this particular hunt. If people don't recognize the issue, call them out on it to create a change, we would be just going along with the "norm". I believe the good people in the hunting industry hope to set examples for others and then there are some that just want fame and fortune. To be good you need to be careful on what you put out there and truly lead by setting a good example. "Taking the easy road" is not a good example. Just my thoughts.

I understand that point of view and rescinded my argument as I went back through and read up more on the issue.

Last edited:
I believe there is nothing better than recognizing where you can improve and improving! People make mistakes and mistakes happen, such as this hunt by Hush, but recognizing it, learning from it and fixing it, make the mistake better. That is how you earn respect from others.

I prefer my caps snug fitting with a slight bend in the bill. It fits nice, don't have to tuck the ears that way. It also helps properly shade my eyes from the sun. Just in case others wanted to know.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back