Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ethical or Not?

wyoelkfan15

I just watched this latest video on YouTube put out by one of my favorite hunting and fishing channels, Hushin. I should say what used to be one of my favorite channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OLlDfl_zw

This hunt shocked me quite a bit because these guys are usually do it yourself types who hunt in some rugged country. However, watching them pull a stunt like this and calling it hunting strictly to get some views on their channel really made me lose some respect for them. Granted this is in New Zealand and not in the US where something like this is generally illegal, but still this 'hunt' was just a straight up killing, not hunting. I am all for filming the hunts that people participate in, and have much respect for guys who do it ethically like Big Fin. At a certain point it seems that some of these TV/YouTube hosts lose site of what is actually part of their values just to make a dollar. Once we make the tradition of being in the outdoors a profit scheme and disregarding ethics just to make a quick buck, it seems like the industry has gone too far. We see more and more people trying to get into this industry especially with the ease of internet access. Can you imagine how furious you would be to see someone pull this on a Big Horn ram! What does Hunt Talk think?

Glad to see he was sporting a Mountain Ops hat. It made all the difference.

I've seen this done before. In my opinion its in that grey area with baiting and hunting with dogs. Many good people hunt like that while others flip out. It may not be my cup of tea but I don't think its the worst thing I've ever seen.

Looks about par with other New Zealand hunts. Like shooting tahr from the helicopter and watching it plummet 1000's of feet off a cliff. Or releasing the double-gold, giant stag from it's fenced enclosure the morning before it gets shot by a "hunter"
Not my cup of tea.
Ethical? No
Legal. Yes.

Anytime you have to yank a set of David Clark's off quickly for a shot, is not hunting, it's shooting.
And to hot fuel a helo that's not bonded or grounded isn't wise! But, when you're in a rush to go "hunting" from a helicopter, who has time for that?

Last edited:
At a certain point it seems that some of these TV/YouTube hosts lose site of what is actually part of their values just to make a dollar. Once we make the tradition of being in the outdoors a profit scheme and disregarding ethics just to make a quick buck, it seems like the industry has gone too far.

That's all it is about for these guys, self promotion and making money off the "hunting industry". Casey's entire family has got "famous" and somehow rich off making stupid youtube videos, thus he did the same with hunting ones. All about building your brand and being an entrepreneur; design a logo, have someone else put it on hats and shirts, make some videos, take some pictures and suddenly you're a business and expert.

Is it ethical to you to shoot hogs or coyotes out of a helo? Don't know and don't care. Ethics are different from person to person. The nz doc pays cullers to shoot animals from helos.

Some folks don't think rifles are ethical, or compound bows, or inline muzzleloaders, trail cams, or drones, or God knows what. Just depends on what you believe.

In my best kiwi accent........."not my cuppa tea"......

It is amazing how various hunting traditions vary around the world.

Last edited:
Hopefully they took their Enduro. Pretty serious risk of cramping climbing up and down those helicopter skids.

Try this video that was one of the first Casey made where they tout it like the guy was actually trying to head shoot this bull:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...8cca7dc18c84d15d6e19bc08d1ab6c88&action=click

There's another that I can't find on the tube right now, but it's a guy taking hair off the top of a bull's rearend at over 800 yards as it stands broadside. The bull then turns and runs straight away and the guys gets another shot off and the bull drops with a shot to the back of the head. They then tout it like that's what he was trying to do when he can't hit within 4' of the kill zone on that bull standing broadside on the first shot! Stuff like that is NOT what should be out on the net or anywhere else. When I saw those two videos I lost any respect I might have had for Hushin with Casey Levere!

Last edited:
Personally I was expecting the video to be a lot worse based on the thread. I agree with others that its really not much different than dog hunting or some guided hunts. Others are locating the animal for you and you're just there to pull a trigger. The how they locate it (helo, dog, drone, or just having a guy out keeping an eye on the animal until you get there) really is immaterial. Its not the way I prefer to hunt since for me the chase is most of the fun but I wouldn't go so far as to say its unethical either.

Now if he had been chasing it and taking wild shots that were more likely to wound than kill than that would be different and completely unethical so in a way I had a little respect that the guy didn't shoot at the first running animal he saw. He at least waited until he had a good clean shot before pulling the trigger.

Is it ethical to you to shoot hogs or coyotes out of a helo? Don't know and don't care. Ethics are different from person to person. The nz doc pays cullers to shoot animals from helos.

Some folks don't think rifles are ethical, or compound bows, or inline muzzleloaders, trail cams, or drones, or God knows what. Just depends on what you believe.

Shooing hogs and coyotes out of a chopper down in Texas is vermin control, not hunting like that tahr video Casey put out!

To each their own, but it did look like the choppa was chasing the chamois back towards the hunters. I'd love to go down there and hunt a tahr and chamois someday...just a little differently than they did though.

If you notice how much area they covered by air,I'd say it's the only realistic way to take many.I think it would be interesting to do but I certainly wouldn't feel it was a hard sought trophy.All areas have different ways to take game due to terrain and animal density.It is just like deer baiting in the south or bear baiting in the north.It's what's necessary to take animals.I think that helo ride would be incredible.The animal would just be a bonus

While this practice may be legal in NZ, chasing down an animal in helo is NOT hunting. If they are trying to eradicate those animals then call it what it is, don't call it hunting. They are simply killing for the sake of killing on camera. The clown couldn't even operate the weapon.
I'm really disappointed that the OP said he only lost some respect for the already crappy tv show.

While this practice may be legal in NZ, chasing down an animal in helo is NOT hunting. If they are trying to eradicate those animals then call it what it is, don't call it hunting. They are simply killing for the sake of killing on camera. The clown couldn't even operate the weapon.
I'm really disappointed that the OP said he only lost some respect for the already crappy tv show.

^^^This

Personally I was expecting the video to be a lot worse based on the thread. I agree with others that its really not much different than dog hunting or some guided hunts. Others are locating the animal for you and you're just there to pull a trigger. The how they locate it (helo, dog, drone, or just having a guy out keeping an eye on the animal until you get there) really is immaterial. Its not the way I prefer to hunt since for me the chase is most of the fun but I wouldn't go so far as to say its unethical either.

Now if he had been chasing it and taking wild shots that were more likely to wound than kill than that would be different and completely unethical so in a way I had a little respect that the guy didn't shoot at the first running animal he saw. He at least waited until he had a good clean shot before pulling the trigger.

NOT this^^^

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back