Any CO bear hunters out there?

danadrums

Hey All,

I'm looking to pick up a leftover tag for NW CO bear this fall. Never hunted bear before.
Anybody out there have any insights/tips/warnings/stories/jokes for me?
I'll be in the GMU 18/181 area.

I have a muzzy elk tag for the area, so I thought I could possibly pick up a bear tag as well. There are usually leftovers for this
area. Must not be a bear hot-spot.

Thanks.

--Dana

The rate the state is terminating them due to human/bear conflicts, their may be no bears left to hunt! 7 have been euthanized in just over a week.

I thought about the OTC w/caps, but I'm hoping that there will be some leftovers for the area I am hunting. They typically don't all go out in the draw.

im going to be in CO GMU 18 sept 16-24. doing a dry run for my first western hunt(from iowa). camping out, looking for elk and black bear (archery). Once i find where they're hiding, ill get an OTC tag next year. would love to share E-scouting info with each other. PM me if youre interested.

I always get a bear tag for any possible season I'm hunting in. It always happens that if I don't have the tag I see bears, so I always have it as a just in case tag anymore.

Thanks for all the replies and info.
As it turns out (due to CPW suspending leftover licenses for a couple of hours on Tuesday), I did NOT get the leftover tag I wanted.
What I did get is a tag for the Steamboat Springs area.

So my question shifts a bit: Anybody out there have tips/info/guesses about hunting the area around Steamboat Springs?

Thanks.

--Dana

I've hunted 181 for many years and the bear population has exploded. 18, too in spots. I glassed up multiple bears last year hunting 3rd season deer in 181 (did not have a bear tag). Get the tag next year.

I was scouting my elk area N of steamboat last week and saw fresh bear sign for the first time in a while. Anecdotally from folks in the area, they are seeing more bears up there, too, year round and not just in the summer. I think there is a higher density the closer you get to town (Southern end of unit 14) than there are north.

I've hunted 181 for many years and the bear population has exploded. 18, too in spots. I glassed up multiple bears last year hunting 3rd season deer in 181 (did not have a bear tag). Get the tag next year.

I was scouting my elk area N of steamboat last week and saw fresh bear sign for the first time in a while. Anecdotally from folks in the area, they are seeing more bears up there, too, year round and not just in the summer. I think there is a higher density the closer you get to town (Southern end of unit 14) than there are north.

Thanks for that, Cedahm. I am looking over the CPW hunting atlas (which now has bear data), and I will give the office up there a call in the next few days.
I only get about 3 days to hunt, so I am hoping to narrow it down a bit.

--Dana

I talked to CPW up in Steamboat Springs. A VERY nice lady (they are always nice and helpful in the CPW offices) gave me some pointers on some good places to look for bears.
Apparently, they are getting quite a few complaints in and around town, including up around the ski area.
She also told me that there are bears in the whole area, so my prospects are looking decent.
The area that my tag is for is a HUGE area, so any narrowing down is a good thing.

Looking forward to going up there.

--Dana

Back