Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

.338 Win mag semi build for elk

elkhnter

Buying back a Remington 700 Classic that I had sold a few years ago. It was rough, wood and metal, so I had a brown teflon finish put on it. Finish is still good and wood is worse. Found a nice laminated stock, light brown. Like wood better than plastic and the extra pound or so won't hurt. Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 mounted in Talley rings. Find a load it likes in the 210-250 grain range. Any thoughts, recommendations? Anything I'm missing?

I have an A-bolt in 338 win that was my father's. Its super light. Good to carry but not so much for recoil. Always had better luck with the 225-250 grain size. Usually shoot store bought loads but gonna try some 225 Barnes ttsx hand loads. Many will say it's too much gun but it's kind of a do-all caliber to me. I have a vx3 on mine also. Its older but I had the CDS feature added. Its killed moose, caribou, black bear, whitetail, even coyotes.

I've got the 4.5x14 VX3 on my 338, but the 3.5x10 would be an excellent choice as well.

Shooting 225 TTSX's at around 2950 fps for around .65" accuracy at 100. Mine likes Reloader 19 quite a bit, but also have had good luck with H4350.

Nice to see a thread that includes a real gun in a real good caliber.
I have shot lots of bullet weights through my .338 win. mag. and had good accuracy with some 200gr. Noslers and Hornady bullets.
It shot pretty well with 180gr. also , but the gun I have liked those 200gr. best.
Mine is an old Savage 116 Alaskan model.

Nice to see a thread that includes a real gun in a real good caliber.
I have shot lots of bullet weights through my .338 win. mag. and had good accuracy with some 200gr. Noslers and Hornady bullets.
It shot pretty well with 180gr. also , but the gun I have liked those 200gr. best.
Mine is an old Savage 116 Alaskan model.

Amen to that. I'll take mine over a dozen "6.5's" any day haha

There's a .264 Win mag around here somewhere. Haven't shot it in years. Have a .338 in a Ruger #1 that I've never shot. Not sure why I'm building this other than because.

I've got the 4.5x14 VX3 on my 338, but the 3.5x10 would be an excellent choice as well.

Shooting 225 TTSX's at around 2950 fps for around .65" accuracy at 100. Mine likes Reloader 19 quite a bit, but also have had good luck with H4350.

I'm going to start calling you "75K PSI Ben" because everytime you quote a handoad it's cooking

There's a .264 Win mag around here somewhere. Haven't shot it in years. Have a .338 in a Ruger #1 that I've never shot. Not sure why I'm building this other than because.

You really should show a little more attention to your rifles.
Hate to see a good gun sitting around in a corner.
Take em out and throw some lead out of em.

It will be good for the both of ya. You and the rifle.
Otherwise pass it to someone who can love em.

I'm going to start calling you "75K PSI Ben" because everytime you quote a handoad it's cooking

If you ain't first, you're last - Reece Bobby.

Kidding. I'm on the 5th loading on this brass with good reports. Primer pockets and brass flow are good, no pressure sings. It's a Winchester P14 1917 Enfield w/a 26 inch barrel. Heavy, and built for speed.

Your mileage may vary.

Mill, my rifles get attention constantly, as a Marine it's instilled in me. Only thing in the corner is a old double barrel that's waiting to be hung.
I passed this .338 to someone else and missed it sooo bad, I bought it back. Problem is, I love one woman and too many rifles. BTW, she likes it that way.

If you ain't first, you're last - Reece Bobby.

Kidding. I'm on the 5th loading on this brass with good reports. Primer pockets and brass flow are good, no pressure sings. It's a Winchester P14 1917 Enfield w/a 26 inch barrel. Heavy, and built for speed.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm just funnin' Ben

I have a Mossberg ATR in .338 Win Mag I bought on impulse because it was on clearance at Walmart about 7 or 8 years ago. It loves 180 grain Accubonds but, I quit shooting it because I was developing a serious flinch. It has a skeletonized stock on it and kicks like a $2 mule. One of these days I'm gonna put a Boyd stock on it.

WOW Ben !! 2950 is smoking for a 225 .338 Win Mag. The Hornady Superformance Factory .338 Mag w/ 225 SST is getting 2940, and Barnes Vortex ammo with 225 TTSX is getting 2800. I'm only getting 2920 out of my .340 Wby with a decent load of RL19, but the 225 TTSX are going into a half inch group, so I'm not too concerned about the "slow" speed.

Last edited:
The ttsx I shoot are the max load with 4350. Should be going about 2800 according to the book. Since it's my bush gun and everything is close I am not too worried about speed

It's crazy to me that 2800fps is considered "slow." I'm not talking smack so sorry if it comes across like that.

I guess most rifles that are magnums , generally are around the 3,000 ft. mark. The old .338 doesn't go fast but is more like a train slamming a Volkswagen at only 40 mph.
Not fast but still catastrophic power and carnage to what it impacts.
I do prefer the flatter projectory of the 300 win. mag. myself.

Sounds like a rifle I'd like to carry. I'll admit, I have more composite rifles than wood but when I close my eyes and go to my hunting fantasy I'm carrying a rifle with a nice wood stock.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back