Sleeping bag decision help

My Marmot Helium 15 degree has taken me down to single digits very comfortably and has taken me below zero with a woobie inside of it. I sweat like a pig if it's above 25, though. It is very light.

I'm a fan of the big agnes lost ranger. rated to 15 degrees packs small lots of shoulder room, if i get cold i put on long underwear.Also heating up a nalgene bottle before bed does wonders for warmth and aches and pains

I agree with Lonesome God on wearing minimal clothes while in the sleeping bag and even more importantly (in my opinion) is having something underneath your sleeping bag. I've found that placing a wool blanket between the sleeping bag and cot or ground makes a world of difference in keeping warm at night. If you have a base camp (not spike camp), then pick up a surplus military bag and you'll be okay too.

I have been doing some research on a light, down sleeping bag rated at 0 degrees. The Outdoor Vitals and Klymit KSB are standing out to me. The awesome thing with Outdoor Vitals is that they offer a sleeping bag liner for only 20 bucks. Add about 5 degrees, helps keep your bag clean and is super light and packable. Not sure what you camping/packing situation is, but if light solutions are what you are looking for, give the bags a look. Best of luck in October!

You will be in good shape with a 15 rated bag if in fact those are honest ratings. See if you can find reviews by actual buyers. I like two zippers on a bag so can open up near my feet on warmer nights. On colder nights, I zip up my feet and on "oh crap it got cold" nights then have layered all my clothes on top of the bag. A good pad or cot will help on cold nights as the ground's cold does not seep into your underside all night.

I have a zero deg. bag and I cannot say that I have ever been too hot in it in 30-40 deg temps. Just unzip a bit if you need to.

Anyone ever use those military bags that are like a 3 bag modular system?

Last edited:
I have a zero deg. bag and I cannot say that I have ever been too hot in it in 30-40 deg temps. Just unzip a bit if you need to.

Anyone ever use those military bags that are like a 3 bag modular system?

Yes. They are heavy but generally comfortable. I carry the goretex bivy occasionally and it works well for it's intended purpose.

Howdy. Cabelas has these new bags right now:

Kelty Tuck EX 0°F Sleeping Bag for $109.95 I ordered this one the other day to replace my older bag. I'm hunting northern CO 4th rifle season(Nov15-19) and it should be a little cold by then.
Kelty Tuck EX 20°F Sleeping Bag for $99.95

Use a sleeping pad and as mentioned earlier, and you can always add a bag liner to get about 10F degree gain in warmth. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back