Caribou Gear Tarp

Sleeping bag decision help

pablodiablo

Hello, Im looking at a hunt in October where they have average lows of 28 deg overnight.

My inclination right now is to get a 15 degree bag in case there are any lower than average nights...however Im wondering if this would be too much bag if it's higher than average temps (say in the 30s).

Im not in a position where i can buy a bunch of bags, so Im trying to make the best call. Thank you Hunttalkers!

If you get hot, just unzip it a bit. I have used nothing but a 15º bag for over a decade.

PS- Just be aware, that the temp rating on sleeping bags is designed to represent the temperature at which you will be comfortable...

My experience is that the ratings on bags are open to interpretation. I have some quality ~$200 goose down bags that have the same rating as some $30 Coleman bags. The lighter, more expensive bags are warmer. And there is a lot of variability in what people consider comfortable. My wife will take a nap in her 0 degF bag zipped completely shut when it's 60 degF outside and I tend to sleep with my 20 degF bag unzipped down to about 30 degF air temp. My suggestion would be to buy a decent bag and bring a blanket and/or sleeping bag liner as a supplement in case the bag you pick is not warm enough for you.

If you get hot, just unzip it a bit. I have used nothing but a 15º bag for over a decade.

PS- Just be aware, that the temp rating on sleeping bags is designed to represent the temperature at which you will be comfortable...
Yup...15 degree is my all around bag. From late August-November and haven't been too cold or hot yet.

Thanks to all three of you. I think I will pull the trigger on a 15 bag and make sure I'm covered in case it's cooler or warmer.

If you're only going to have one bag and don't do much winter camping a 15 degree bag is a good bet. I wouldn't be worried about being too warm, just unzip or take your head out of the hood. Good down bags especially are comfortable in a wide range of temps. If you're going to be out in weather thats colder than the bag, just get a good liner.

I have a couple bags. My go to is a Sierra Designs 23F bag which has DriDown which retains some loft when wet. Down comfort and weight and almost synthetic moisture performance.

If I'm cold I wear my puffy and some thermals. In cold weather (20s or below) I prefer my 0F down bag.

I have a KUIU 15 degree bag. It's amazing how small it can compress to. I used mine as a blanket this spring because it was warm.

I mainly use a Kelty Tundra 15 synthetic now, until it gets down in the 20's & lower.
Then I use a Marmot Never Summer 0 down bag,been down to -15 in it. Or for packing in fall.Light & warm.
Any lower I bust out a homemade -20 kit downbag,damn thing is hot until it's zero or less..

I could have a bag rated -100 and be cold. It seems to be person to person. I have been using my northface mummy bag inside my wifes marmot full size bag, it is pretty warm but I wouldn't exactly call it cozy in there when it gets below freezing. My bag is a 30 degree and hers a 40 I believe.

Guess I need to try some new bags?

As has been said, bags are pretty personal. Some folks sleep hot, some sleep cold, the only way to find out is to buy and try!

Generally speaking though I think a 15° or 20° bag is a good all-rounder if you're not doing any winter camping.

If you are feeling adventurous I would recommend a lightweight down backpacking quilt. They weigh less and pack smaller than any full mummy bag ever could, as they are bottomless (you just strap them down to your sleeping pad).

I have an Enlightened Equipment 20° quilt which I use from early spring to late fall—unzip and unfurl for hot summer nights, and pull the straps tight and cinch the footbox down when it gets cold. I have used it with success down to about 15°.

Just wondering where you will be hunting the average night time temp is 28 in Oct.?
It can get much colder than 28 in October in the mountains. If you camp in a valley or low spot you may get closer to zero at night, frost pocket.
If you opt for a higher temp bag have something with you to help if it's colder than planned, blanket, liner or bivy cover.

One thing about sleeping bags is that you don't want to wear too many clothes inside. It'll trap the heat under your clothes but not allow your body to warm up your bag. If you are having a problem being warm enough make sure you have something under you. Sleeping pads, horse blanket, etc.

Just wondering where you will be hunting the average night time temp is 28 in Oct.?
It can get much colder than 28 in October in the mountains. If you camp in a valley or low spot you may get closer to zero at night, frost pocket.
If you opt for a higher temp bag have something with you to help if it's colder than planned, blanket, liner or bivy cover.

That's a good point. I set the date range for the first rifle season and looked at the historical data for the nearest city, but where I am planning on hunting will be a couple thousand feet higher than that city. 28 was the average Low

Sounds like it will be much colder at your hunting altitude. Like stated above being cold at night is not conducive to good restful sleep.
I would get a lower temp rated bag than 15 degrees, at least a zero.

Sounds like it will be much colder at your hunting altitude. Like stated above being cold at night is not conducive to good restful sleep.
I would get a lower temp rated bag than 15 degrees, at least a zero.

Thanks Wytex!

I bought a big Agnes 0 degree down bag recently and it is sweet. My wife used it on a camping trip and she was comfortable at freezing temps. Ultralight it is not. But I'd rather carry some heavier items and be able to sleep. I got a thick big Agnes pad as well. It fits in a sleeve on the bag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back