alternative to merino wool?

p_ham

Is there a good alternative to merino wool? Looking for wicking and stink control. The price of that stuff really makes my butt sore!

Amazon has fair prices on non name brand stuff
It's still high but not near as bad. I also found some at gander mtn on clearance

I found a screaming deal on a 6 pack of no-name merino boxer briefs on ebay. I went about 8 pages in and found a guy in Lithuania selling them for crazy cheap. I wasn't in a hurry to get them, so I went ahead and got them and waited almost a month for them to get here. Definitely worth it. I'll never hunt without merino underwear again. There's really no feesable substitute.

Core4, tops wear better than my kuiu and cost $30. Black Ovis now as I believe they've sold most of their core inventory

Camo fire does have merino wool pop up the odd time for 40% off. As someone who is allergic to wool, I stay away from that stuff

Is there a good alternative to merino wool? Looking for wicking and stink control. The price of that stuff really makes my butt sore!

Simple answer, no, and if you do buy some, when it eventually gets washed, keep it away from anything like fabric (killer) conditioner!

Cheers

Richard

Simple answer, no, and if you do buy some, when it eventually gets washed, keep it away from anything like fabric (killer) conditioner!

Cheers

Richard

Yup...you won't find any natural or man made materials that work like merino wool. If you don't mind noncamo colors you can find it cheaper. Check places like REI, and other backpacking stores.

I found a screaming deal on a 6 pack of no-name merino boxer briefs on ebay. I went about 8 pages in and found a guy in Lithuania selling them for crazy cheap. I wasn't in a hurry to get them, so I went ahead and got them and waited almost a month for them to get here. Definitely worth it. I'll never hunt without merino underwear again. There's really no feesable substitute.

Borat makes underwear?

Wife's family was from Lithuania. Always wondered what they did for NATO. Now I know.

Plastic fibers are better at moisture control but smell after two days. Merino can be found cheap.

Look on Camofire and look for Icebreakers on clearance. I got camo size L icebreaker shirts for $30 and a jacket for $40 on Amazon clearance last year. If you keep looking you can find deals.

Tough to find inexpensive merino wool, but I would argue that you don't need a full kit of merino. Get yourself one or two good base layers (top and bottom) and that should do the trick as far as temperature regulation and odor control. For a lot of situations, especially warmer weather I actually prefer the synthetic/merino hybrid (Mine is Patagonia). It dries faster and still mitigates the stink. They can run cheaper as well. Definitely look outside of the hunting specific stuff as that gear is really hot right now.

Thanks for the input..looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and get some. Just getting base layers, so cam isn't an issue.

I got some Smartwool on sale@ REI 3 yrs and some small holes in bottoms now.
Will be checking Sierra Trading post for more too.
Only other I have found as good as merino & is synthetic is Capeline from Patagonia. Saw the post about a Patagonia blend & I will check them out.
I have many wool shirts & sweaters I use,half were Bday gifts from sisters.....at least they do not have pink polo guys on them.They work great as mid layers.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back