choosing a 308 for elk

rlmmatt

so as i've mentioned before i got drawn for the KY elk hunt but ive never been elk hunting before. Ive decided to take my 308 xbolt over the 3006 xbolt or the 300win mag encore because im more confortable with the 308 and because i may need some quick follow up shots over the encore.
Today I went to the range and tried 8 different boxes of over the counter ammo to see which worked well in my gun. Of the eight three of them grouped moa and shot well out to 300 ( the furthest my local range has). Im not saying their isnt better ammo out there but it may just not be available over the shelf here in daytona. I would like to have tried a lot of different nosler ammo but it just wasnt available in this area. The three that shot the best were Hornady full boar 165 gmx, Nosler throphy grade 165 ballistic tips and Federal premium vital shok 180g nosler partitions.

Here is the question which one to take for elk I like the 180g partitions but the drop is 16.5in vs 13in for the nosler trophy grade and 9.2in for the gmx at a range of 300yrds. I dont know if the gmx is any good for elk and i question it because of the boar on the front of the box but it shoots the flattest. the velocity of the gmx is also a little slower than the trophy grade, gmx 2610, nosler trophy grade 2800, and the federals 2570. the energy on the nosler trophy grade exceeds the federal premiums at three hundred yards T.G. 1850 vs 1670.

So in short do i choose
gmx the flattest shooting
nosler T.G. the fastest hardest hitting
Federal Premiums partition largest grain

like I said they all shoot well.

Next when your at the range due you practice at 100 yards or three hundred yards. I know not to be sitting at the bench but at what distance due you routinly shoot at and why.

Thanks for your help on the above matter
Robert

GMX is their all-copper bullet correct?

If it is, any of the above will work fine.

I'm not real big on 180's out of a 308 because they start out so slow, but I have used them for elk.

The Ballistic Tips have been toughened up, especially at 308 velocities, they should be just fine. That would probably be my pick of the 3.

You can order alot of ammo online. Cabelas and MidwayUSA have deals for free shipping all of the time.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the partition and not worry about the drop. Sight in 3" high at 100 and you should only 7" low at 300 and 14-15" low at 350. 0 - 250 your POI should only be a few inches. I can't imagine shooting further than that back east.

If I still owned a .308 my choice for elk would be a Barnes 150 TTSX.

Only round of those I have experience on with elk is the Federal with Partition and it is a solid, time-tested round. The last bull I shot with it dropped so hard he broke brow tine. In 308.

im starting to see a patern using the 180 federals i was sure leaning with the light faster and harder hitting nosler
thanks for the replies so far and i know i can order rounds online but its really nice to be able to stop at the store and pick it up before going to the range
at what yardage due you all practice
thanks again

With the 180gr in your 308 I'd sight in dead on at 200 and shoot to what your comfortable with. What scope are you using? Reticle?
Don't overthink it to much. You have a great tag. Spend some time practicing shooting off a bipod, sticks or whatever you are gonna use.

I've killed elk with the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain Partition in my .308 Win. It is all I have been shooting in my .308 for the last few years.

I agree I would sight in for 200 zero, and you'll be pretty good out to 300. I have not hunted kentucky but I would guess that 300 yards would be probably the maximum shot that you would be taking. Most shots would be within 80-175 I would think.

im liking the nosler trophy grade as well. my thoughts are centered around the fact that its flatter and hitting with more energy at three hundred than the 180 then why use the 180? Ive watched some of big fins practice videos (thanks by the way) and I already new the best practice is not at the bench but due you all practice hitting steel at three hundred or paper at 100. I like seeing the groups pile up on paper but Im thinking its probably better to here the gong consistantly at three hundred. Hunting in FL or my home state of KY for white tails were unlucky to have a shot further than a bow shot its just to thick. So practicing at this distance is all new to me.

I went and did some scouting a few weeks ago and the landscape is completly different than the rest of ky on those reclaimed mine sights.20170603_083835[1].jpg20170603_085749[1].jpg20170603_084214[1].jpg

I'd have to order a box of 165 grain Accubonds and Partitions. The Accubonds should shoot pretty close to the NBTs.

I don't shoot factory ammo and with all the negative I'd heard in the past about ballistic tip's, I would not choose them. If the partitions shoot well in your rifle, they would be fine. bear in mind Nosler designed that bullet to shed 30% of it's weight, same with their accu bond. Hornady claims loosing only 10% on their inter bond. The heavier weigh bullet penetrate's better but I doubt that will be a problem for you. I've used the 308 for a lot of years and the only bullet I ever used in it was a 165 gr Hornady SP, I've never used it on an elk but I have no doubt it would work well. 180's have shot well out of my old 308 also, wouldn't bother me to use them. If you know about what your velocity will be, For me the best way to sight in any rifle is with the max point blank range system. You need to figure out the velocity and come up with a BC on the bullet you use. Then sighted in for an 8" target, you hold dead on out to where the bullet falls 4" below the line of sight. Years ago pretty much every one sighted in their rifle to hit 3 3.5" high at 100 yds. That would probably keep you into the game to 300 yds. You have a 300 yds range, use it. Sight your rifle in x number inches high at 100 yds then fire at 300 yds holding dead on.

I'm a reloader as well and one of my daughters is hunting elk this fall with her .308. I loaded her up with 165 grn hornady sst. I've killed two elk with those slugs from my 30-06 and the damage is unreal. Her rifle does great with the load I worked up for her. I set her up with 35 gains of Accurate 5744 powder with the 165 sst's. The powder I chose is a low recoil magnum powder that works great with .308's. From the muzzle its scooting along at 2700fps. The best part is she is 11 years old and weighs like 75lbs and shoots that load form her shooting sticks like its a 22.

I've taken deer and elk with a 180Gr Partition out of a .308Win. I was running federal factory ammo and it did just fine. Keep the shots inside 400yds and you'll be good to go. Realistically a couple inches of difference in drop at 300yds is manageable. Elk are quite a bit bigger target than deer.

I've decided to go with the nosler partitions In 165 grain thanks for all your all answers and I'll keep you updated on the range and trip

As for the paper or gong, I just bought a 4 inch gong from Cabela's ($20?) and took some pipe and fittings I had to make a quick little stand. The ballistics on my 308 with the Nosler Trophy Grade e-tips lets me keep the drop and rise within 4" out to almost 250 yards. The rest is up to me. This set up lets me set the target anywhere less than that range and hold center (for elevation) and bang away. Then I can change position and distance and go again. I know it's shorter distance than lots of other guys shoot but I like shooting my bow too much to practice enough with my rifle and get the confidence. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back