WTB Youth model or compact 22LR

Addicting

I have been searching for a youth model 22LR for my daughters first gun. Thought maybe someone may have one that their kid grew out of that they may be wanting to upgrade. I am open to anything as long as it is smaller, she is going to get it once she turn 6 this fall. Shoot me a PM if you have one that needs to get out of the gun closet and get used again.

Thanks Tony

I have a little cricket I would part with. I am not sure how much they cost anymore I bought it a while back. I will say we didn't shoot it much. It is cumbersome because you have to load it 1 shot at a time.

I ended up building a AR style 22 out of a ruger 10/22. It has a telescoping stock. That direction is a lot more $ but it is much more functional.

Just picked up a new Savage 64F ($139 + tax) and all of the grandkids can shoot it at 5 lbs. Just wish the mags weren't so hard to find. Fun to shoot right out of the box.

I have a little cricket I would part with. I am not sure how much they cost anymore I bought it a while back. I will say we didn't shoot it much. It is cumbersome because you have to load it 1 shot at a time.

I ended up building a AR style 22 out of a ruger 10/22. It has a telescoping stock. That direction is a lot more $ but it is much more functional.

I've looked at those too, Gander Mountian has one just like it right now in pink for 25% off with thier going out of business sale. I almost bought it yesterday but the action was rough and didn't think she would have as much fun with it as kinda cumbersome as you described. I really like the 10/22 as well and am kinda in the same mindset. Thanks for posting that.

If you daughter is right handed there are LOTS of options and the Ruger American compact rimfire would be at the top of the list for me. They don't make one in LH so I'm looking at other options. I'd be find with a single shot bolt action, as long as it didn't have to be manually cocked. I've seen one too many slips with a set up like that...

Just a word of caution, smaller shooters can get "bit" by hot brass and moving bolts in semi-auto's.

I read that as well about the hot brass. I stopped last night and looked at Henry youth rifles. It's a little more money, but was a pretty nice little gun.

I can get the 10/22 at NRA Instructor prices which takes about a hundred off retail. The other thing that the 10/22 has is that we can get another stock so it can grow with her.

Mossberg used to make a 22 semi that was just like the 10/22. Looking on Gun Broker at used prices, I am probably going to be better off just picking up a new one unless a decent one comes along before the NRA deal expires in Oct.

Last edited:
My kids both started with Savage Rascals at 5 years old. My daughter is 10 now, it's getting a bit too small for her at this point. My son is 8 1/2. He's currently competing in 4H with the rascal, after having it dovetailed to accept an open blade rear sight per 4H rules.

It's a great rifle. It's single-shot bolt (not manually cocked), sized perfect, lightweight, accurate, great trigger, relatively cheap.

My kids both started with Savage Rascals at 5 years old. My daughter is 10 now, it's getting a bit too small for her at this point. My son is 8 1/2. He's currently competing in 4H with the rascal, after having it dovetailed to accept an open blade rear sight per 4H rules.

It's a great rifle. It's single-shot bolt (not manually cocked), sized perfect, lightweight, accurate, great trigger, relatively cheap.

Did the action on her Rascal smooth out after break in? The one here local that I got to try had a really tight spot in it about 1/2 way back and I was afraid that she was going to not be able to cycle it and keep control of the muzzle. I liked the peep sight for a starter sight, I think they may help them understand how to use them easier than blade. What did you notice seeing you used both?

The bolts cycle smoothly on both of my kids rascals. I love the peep, but it was not legal for 4h "hunt" class, so I replaced it with a notched blade. Another option is the cz scout youth. It's much nicer, but also a bit more expensive.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back