PEAX Equipment

Remington 700 sendero vs Browning hells canyon X bolt?

Wyhunter

So here's my dilemma... I'm going to buy my next hunting rifle chambered in 300 win mag. I'm planning on mounting a gen 2 vortex razor hd scope as well. I would like something I can take to the range and shoot at 1000 meters for fun and a rifle that I'll expect to take game out to around 600 meters. (I was a combat marksmanship instructor in the marine corps so im confident im my skills). I've got it narrowed down to these 2 rifles, but still open to opinions. If you have one of them or have shot either, I'd like to hear what you thought! Budget is around 3k. Thank you!

They're both solid rifles, but feel and look wildly different. The Remington is heavier, has a two stage safety, and a hinged floor plate I believe. The Browning has a tang safety with a bolt release, is lighter, and has a drop box mag. I would pick the one I liked in the store more because they're very different.

For that budget, I would also look very hard at the Christensen Arms Mesa. It's in that same price range and has wayyyy more features than the others. 3 shot MOA guarantee, cerakoted action, muzzle brake included, fluted bolt, etc. Also the reviews for it have been very good.

Best of luck!

I have the Xbolt you want. You can read my review somewhere on here. I too was in the USMC and a DM. I can't say anything bad about my rifle, keyhole at 100, very nice out to 500 yards.

FWIW, I also have a Vortex Viper on mine with the Dope Disk, becuase for $10, why not? Don't forget they will do 40% off if you contact them direct. I'd also get the throw lever as the ring is pretty tight.

I was into my setup aroudn $2k.

The 300 win. mag. is going to be more enjoyable to shoot in the 700 Sendero than the lighter Browning.
If you want a rifle to carry for a week and shoot once or twice, buy the Browning.
If you want to shoot 30 or 40 rounds at the range and have a steady platform for long range hunting, the Remington Sendero is what I would get.

I've shot the 300 Win Mag Sendero with a NightForce SHV 5-20x56 scope recently. Loved the right hand palm swell and the LOP fit me well. It's a heavy SOB, but put me 2" off dead center at 500 yards second shot ever.

I really enjoy my Browning x-bolt. Remember Hell's Speed comes with break so recoil should not be of concern. Out of the dozen or so rifles I have owned and shot I would say my xbolt is number one. Only complaint is the heavy factory trigger of almost five lbs. However, that is an easy fix when I get around to it. I find the xbolt stock to be very comfortable. I can shoot a box of 270 win through it in ine sitting with no fatigue.

I will also admit I'm not much of an American made gun fan. Some of my worst rifles and shotguns have been Ruger, even though I like the M77 I have not found one to shoot well, Remington, and Savage. Thus, I now stick to Browning, Sako/Tikka until I can afford a higher end domestic custom rifle. Such as a Montana.

I get it one rifle to do it all. Me personally I would look at the Hell's Canyon, and then look to pick up something like a Bergara B-14 HMR, or Tika CTR in 6.5 Creedmore and use that for my 1000 yd fun rifle. They are super accurate, low recoil and a ball to shoot. The sendero is great off the bench/sticks/bipod, but off hand it is a bit of a beast. The Browning is much better suited to be a mountain rifle, where you may need to be taking an off hand shot in the timber on a moving animal.

Tough decision the are both good rifles. Good luck.

I never worried about rifle weight until I carried light. Assuming the extra lb'ge is moot to you, the Sendero will best fit your criteria.

I have no experience with the Browning, but I have a 700 CDL in a 7mm Mag. I had the barrel floated and a new trigger, and you can kill stuff all day long at 500 yards. I usually just shoot factory ammo, such as coreloks or Federal Prem. It seems to have better accuracy with a heavier bullet. I prefer a little heavier gun for accuracy, but everyone has preferences. Thanks for your service. Preston

Thank you all for your input. After reading everyone's perspective, I feel the Xbolt will fit my needs the best. I am going to have to do a little research on the Montana customs though. I don't really know much about them. Most of the shotguns I own are browning, and I love them. So I figure, I can't go too wrong there.

Thank you all for your input. After reading everyone's perspective, I feel the Xbolt will fit my needs the best. I am going to have to do a little research on the Montana customs though. I don't really know much about them. Most of the shotguns I own are browning, and I love them. So I figure, I can't go too wrong there.

I have owned a Sendero in 300 Win and loved the gun and wish I hadn't of sold it. Heavy somewhat heavy. I am a big fan of the Remington 700 and Mauser actions. I have shot the Xbolt and have a Hells Canyon Speed Hunter on order. Both guns you have in mind are good choices. I love the stock on the Sendero. Looking hard at Montana Rifle Co. rifles. Have fun and good luck hunting.

Not fair to compare those two rifles. Two rifles intended for different purposes. For the OP's purpose of long range, the Remington. The Browning for packing around. But I'd look real hard at other rifles before buying a Browning. mtmuley

Last edited:
Not fair to compare those two rifles. Two rifles intended for different purposes. For the OP's purpose of long range, the Remington. The Browning for packing around. But I'd look real hard at other rifles before buying a Browning. mtmuley
Oh, the Xbolt that is on order, is the one I won from goHunt. I have shot a friends Xbolt in .270 WSM and it shot good. Didn't feel as good as my 700s, I have 3 of them.

I have 2 sendero's both shoot awesome. both are sighted in out to 1200 yards! I can tell you I am a Remington guy and love the 700 action, to me there is no better action out there. Most of all your custom rifles have a 700 action. They are a little heavier but I will take that with their accuracy.

Go with the Browning and drop some high end glass. The gun is beyond capable and very comfortable to shoot. If you have 3k to spend, spend the other 2200 on prime optics. Vortex is great for perfect light conditions, but head on light (morning/evening hunts) they perform rather poorly. Go with nightforce, Swarovski, leupold to name a few.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back