Magneto Speed Chronograph

MThuntr

Anyone using Magneto Speed Chronographs? I'm considering the move to this over my standard chronograph. I've heard a lot of good things especially where light based chronographs begin to fail in extremely bright light.

Is the Sporter good enough or would you get the V3? I see the Sporter version is only good to 1" barrels and my Savage 12LRP has a 1.12" muzzle so that could be an issue.

I'm either going with the V3 or the Lab radar when I take the plunge and get a chrono. If you ever plan on shooting suppressed or want to run it with your savage I'd get the V3

My friend has the Magneto Speed V3 and it does well. Quick and easy to strap on and check/confirm different loads in a particular gun. Not the easiest to 'share' if there are a few people, each shooting a different gun or three. They say it can impact POI (extra weight on end of barrel?), but if you're just looking to get velocity readings, it works well and is pretty simple.
He now has Lab Radar also, which is really nice, but sometimes tricky to get set up correctly. It can give downrange readings at increments that you choose and is very handy for archery, as well.

They both have their advantages. We typically load in a building and shoot from window so Magneto Speed is best suited to strap on and shoot. When we want to use the Lab Radar, we need to go outside and set up for best results.
Either would be advantageous if you had to shoot at a range and weren't able to go in front of bench and adjust/set up standard units.

I wish some of the guys at our range had these. Its painful to watch them fiddle with the tripod and alignment so the don't shoot the damn thing.

I wish some of the guys at our range had these. Its painful to watch them fiddle with the tripod and alignment so the don't shoot the damn thing.

It's easy and quick if you know what you are doing to set up a chrony. My buddy with the bullet company swears by the Magnetospeed. Shoot groups, then chrony avoiding an POI issues. mtmuley

I have the sporter version and love it. Works very dependable. The v3 does offer better features especially for larger barrels.

I thought alot about buying one.
But I only use my chrony when I'm working up new loads. Sense that is happening less and less, I'll stick to what I have.

I use a lighted box with mine to solve the lighting problems and it works great.

The magnet types are probably more consistent, but I've learned to use mine over time, to get good results.

I'm also a cheap skate too. That puts it in the ain't gonna happen category.

My feelings on the Magnetospeed... It has functioned flawlessly in providing velocity readings but does have some quirks. I shoot suppressed most of the time which means I need to remove any suppressor covers that may be on the can and change shims for unsuppressed rifles. I also don't like the fact that it changes POI on ALL of my rifles, including short varmint barrels. I don't like that I need to shoot a ladder test for groups and shoot for velocity readings separately. Seems like wasted ammo to me. I'm a data geek so I would love to record velocity for every round fired but can't get over the change in POI that occurs while the Magnetospeed is attached.

With that being said; Not having missed readings from an optical chronograph, not worrying about shooting the chronograph, not having to call a cease fire to setup the chronograph, etc, has me liking the Magnetospeed more than any other products I'm aware of.

The Lab Radar has had too many poor reviews, struggles with small calibers, and doesn't read over 3900 fps so it's not being considered at this time.

I was very impressed with the Magneto V3, I still am, but the LabRadar is the bees knees or whatever idiom you prefer. I've used the LabRadar with both suppressed and un-suppressed rifles and have been very impressed. Obviously there's no POI shift (nothing touches the rifle) and you can collect data while you shoot a variety of targets, distances, etc. If you use it enough to make the $ worth it; Magneto great - LabRadar even better.

I totally dig the idea of these and will probably end up with one. Shooting for groups and speed in separate operations isn't a deal breaker for me. But, if it is for you and you have a long enough shooting bench, a guy over at 24hour has posted pics of how he mounted one on a rifle rest so that it doesn't affect POI.

MagnetoSpeed V3 is on sale over at MidwayUSA

I saw that...they are asking $50 less than everyone else. I need new bases and rings for my 6.5 Hipster so I may just make an expensive order even more expensive. Turns out my cheapo Vortex Viper and Talley rings run out of elevation for 1000 yard shots...I had to hold over at least 10 feet. While the scope is lacking I just don't have the $ for anything nicer.

Last edited:
Dark ages rod and tent shoot thru for me. I'll admit that muzzle blast halts the action occasionally. Haven't warmed to the reputed harmonics impact of the bayonet so far.

I saw that...they are asking $50 less than everyone else. I need new bases and rings for my 6.5 Hipster so I may just make an expensive order even more expensive. Turns out my cheapo Vortex Viper and Talley rings run out of elevation for 1000 yard shots...I had to hold over at least 10 feet. While the scope is lacking I just don't have the $ for anything nicer.

I feel like all my orders from Midway are expensive. To help save a little coin I wait till they offer free shipping. I also have to pay sales tax as a Missouri resident.

I love the v3. I dont use it a lot but love it when i do and muzzle blast is never an issue anymore. I get a reading every single round fired too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back