MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming deer....and points.

Eyeguy

Hey HT Crew,
My friend and I are slowly building points for muleys in Wyo. We now have 3 points and don't really care to build and save em for 10 years....but we do want a shot at a decent pair of bucks too. I think the most we will want to save to is 5 points....but could easily be talked into applying for this next fall. What are your thoughts? I have looked at region H a little bit and I saw there was a recent thread that mentioned it. I particularly liked the comment about NOT being very ATV friendly. I think we are envisioning a higher country hunt vs lower sage type habitat. So...what would you guys do? Any really good units we could get with 3-5 points? Burn em? Keep saving? If I were going to save up to 10 points it would be for unit 102 (south of rock springs). My parents used to live out by there and I would drive that road down to the flaming gorge....and some of the bucks you would see just driving the highway were big enough to almost cause a car wreck.......

My hunting buddies and I ran into this dilemma a year or so ago when we first started accumulating points. We, like most hunters, would love a premiere unit with huge bucks running around, but we were more interested in hunting muleys every other year instead of waiting 10 years to hunt a trophy unit. So we picked a General Region that we know we could draw every other year and still have a decent hunt. This will allow us to learn the area and have a better chance in the future of finding a big buck in that area. That being said this fall will be our first year hunting muleys there, so if it is terrible and a complete flop then we may look somewhere else, but I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited:
This will be my first fall in Wyoming hunting deer and elk and hopefully an antelope on a leftover tag if I draw one.
But, have researched for many years.
With the winter deer fawn mortality at near 100%, hunting deer sooner or way, way, later looks like the best options.

If I had 3 points in, I would apply next year somewhere in a general unit.
I'm doing region F this fall. If it doesn't impress then I'm looking at banking points and looking elsewhere.

H might not be as good 3 years from now. But if I could go this fall ,I would.

Colorado needs to be a central part of any Mule Deer strategy. Average units in Colorado rival good units in other states.

This will be my first fall in Wyoming hunting deer and elk and hopefully an antelope on a leftover tag if I draw one.
But, have researched for many years.
With the winter deer fawn mortality at near 100%, hunting deer sooner or way, way, later looks like the best options.

If I had 3 points in, I would apply next year somewhere in a general unit.
I'm doing region F this fall. If it doesn't impress then I'm looking at banking points and looking elsewhere.

H might not be as good 3 years from now. But if I could go this fall ,I would.

That's another incorrect statement in that there were just localized areas west of the Continental Divide that lost the biggest share of fawns. The north-central and entire eastern part of the state came out fine with nowhere near the weather the western half had and the deer and antelope are doing fine.

You'll find Colorado has some great deer hunting but much more pressure, at least the seasons I have hunted there. However like anyplace you have to get away from roads and the hunting experience improves.
And topgun is right not near all of the state had significant winterkill.

That's another incorrect statement in that there were just localized areas west of the Continental Divide that lost the biggest share of fawns. The north-central and entire eastern part of the state came out fine with nowhere near the weather the western half had and the deer and antelope are doing fine.

Here we go again..

Here we go again..

:cool::D Kinda what I was thinking.....I just wanna hunt deer and talk to my friends on HT......... :rolleyes: I do appreciate the comments though. Its nice to know there was poor recruitment of fawns in certain parts of the states. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Topgun is right I should have said the winter kill was predominantly in the western regions of the state of Wy. , mostly in the central and southwest .
Not a problem in the Eastern regions that are easier to draw tags for. Though not where most are looking to hunt a trophy at I'm sure a few are there and certainly are taken from time to time

I believe H is one of the winter motality hot spots unfortunately. But likely still plenty upper age class bucks there.

Last edited:
I believe H is one of the winter motality hot spots unfortunately. But likely still plenty upper age class bucks there.

Thank you sir! Good info to have right there. If we are gunna hunt this unit it would be better in the next year or 2 it sounds like.

A unit I'm interested in is 120.
It looks like it can usually be drawn with 3-4 points. But apparently walk in areas are the predominant places to hunt.
Maybe some harder access than normal?
Got to be a reason it takes so few points to draw a deer unit that is Limited quota for an area in the heart of what looks and sounds like big deer habitat.
Might be worth digging into some information about 120, if you have 3 points and don't mind walking.
Haven't talked to anyone that has hunted there themselves, but would sure like to.
The hunting pressure would be way less there than in H I would imagine.

Here we go again..

Sorry, but I'm not going to sit back and read posts that are wrong and could cause readers to do or not do a hunt based on wrong information. If you don't like what I post you can easily use the Ignore feature on the site, rather than to start trouble.

We were talking about H primarily there in western Wy., but I forgot that I can't take anything for granted and assume we all are on the same page.
Good thing we got people policing our posts here.

That was a close one.

Topgun saved some lives there I'm sure.
But, seriously it's O.K. with me.
I won't be ignoring anything anymore, I promise.

We were talking about H primarily there in western Wy., but I forgot that I can't take anything for granted and assume we all are on the same page.
Good thing we got people policing our posts here.

That was a close one.

Topgun saved some lives there I'm sure.
But, seriously it's O.K. with me.
I won't be ignoring anything anymore, I promise.

One little line in the OP mentioned he was thinking about H and he won't draw G or H with 3 PPs! Your post is in black and white and nowhere does it mention one area. Your post made a blanket statement about 100% of the deer fawns dying due to the bad winter. Instead of making excuses and blaming everyone else for you being hurt when corrected why don't you just post information that you know is 100% accurate and quit posting all your suppositions and guesses just like you came back with about other parts of the state not being trophy buck areas when there are plenty that are. I'm really not trying to get on your case, but you're trying to help people with guesses and suppositions when you've never been out west and that's not really helping people that need FACTS!

Last edited:
Now ,now, be nice .
Take deep breaths.
Try not to excite yourself.

Number one county in Wyoming for all time Boone and Crockett entree's is Lincoln.
A good trophy can obviously be had just about anywhere, but the odds are in the western part of the state .
That's all I'm saying .
Must we be so picky?

Last edited:
Now ,now, be nice .
Take deep breaths.
Try not to excite yourself.

Number one county in Wyoming for all time Boone and Crockett entree's is Lincoln.
A good trophy can obviously be had just about anywhere, but the odds are in the western part of the state .
That's all I'm saying .
Must we be so picky?

I wish you'd put me on Ignore like you said you did because you're becoming one big pain in the butt with BS posts like that last one! I was not being picky and I'm not getting excited, just perturbed at stuff you post that is far from accurate and doesn't help anyone looking for good advice! You really need to read what you post and quit making excuses and blaming everyone but yourself for your errors! Yes, PARTS of the western side of the state like in Region G and Region H are good and known for quality bucks. However, there are many other areas off the radar FYI that offer some darn good hunting and good bucks IF you know how to hunt them and have been out there as long as a lot of us have and not from your chair in Virginia. Now you play nice and either put me on Ignore or don't get butthurt if you make booboos and get corrected!

It's quite obvious that acting like an asshole comes very naturally to some.

I think you should read what I have posted more carfully. Especially if you're going to pick and twist what people say to death.
As far as not getting excited,....

We're too.

It's quite obvious that acting like an asshole comes very naturally to some.

More wisecracks from the peanut gallery that aren't needed JLS! I haven't said anything on this thread that isn't fact and isn't true. It's obvious where the problem is when he said he had me on Ignore last week and he obviously lied when he's still reading my posts and responding with baloney every time I correct his mistakes. If he keeps making them I'll keep correcting them because that's the proper and appropriate thing to do when people post wrong information. Sorry if you don't agree and just want to stir the pot as always!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back