Wyoming deer....and points.

One year to the next sometimes finds substantial creep. You're probably right that H will be close with 3 PPs next year, but when planning a trip well ahead of time I would think most would want to be assured that the number of PPs they have is a gimme to draw the tag and 3 might not be next year.

If they wanted to be assured, they could apply in the special draw. You'd be a lot more likeable if you would admit that you're wrong once in a while.

If they wanted to be assured, they could apply in the special draw. You'd be a lot more likeable if you would admit that you're wrong once in a while.

That is correct, but he was talking about the regular draw and that's what I responded to. Sorry, I don't come across sometimes the way I would like to, but I'm trying my best to improve and at 70 years old it's tough to change colors!

Guys. Seriously. I posted this thread because I want help and opinions on what to do with my 3 points for deer. Thank you both very much for the info you have contributed. It was helpful in my decisions making. Now....please go through and delete the back and forth comments that have nothing to do with the thread so Randy doesn't have too. Please. He has better things to do. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Guys. Seriously. I posted this thread because I want help and opinions on what to do with my 3 points for deer. Thank you both very much for the info you have contributed. It was helpful in my decisions making. Now....please go through and delete the back and forth comments that have nothing to do with the thread so Randy doesn't have too. Please. He has better things to do. Thanks again.

I'd be happy to do that, but unfortunately the posts you're talking about are past the edit period and nothing can be done on my part. I do apologize that my correction of an incorrect post was not done in the best manner and got things started. That's the best I can do with your request.

There are plenty of good areas for your 3 pts. Look around the Snowies even a general tag will get you into areas with stable populations and good buck/doe ratios. While some areas are known for their trophy caliber bucks we have great deer all over the state, you just have to work for them.
Look into areas that have seasons conducive to even seeing trophy bucks, i.e later seasons if possible or very early season when they may still be in bachelor groups.

Holes in the populations will show up the next few years on the western side due to the winterkill, that does not mean the hunting will be terrible , just not the same as recent history. I would look at some sleeper areas of the state in the next few years and give the west side time to recover.

Take all of this advice with a grain of salt and call some biologists in the areas you are interested in. I have even called ranchers in areas I was looking for leftover tags and access and asked them about populations and quality. They are more than willing to answer your questions if they have the time.

Just my thoughts.

I'd be happy to do that, but unfortunately the posts you're talking about are past the edit period and nothing can be done on my part. I do apologize that my correction of an incorrect post was not done in the best manner and got things started. That's the best I can do with your request.

I appreciate the info man! Best of luck this fall.

Well I will have 8 points going into next year and have no idea on what to do in the future. Hold out and still try to draw the best units and hunt hard I guess is probably my only option. May still get lucky. Not all big deer are gone.

Well I will have 8 points going into next year and have no idea on what to do in the future. Hold out and still try to draw the best units and hunt hard I guess is probably my only option. May still get lucky. Not all big deer are gone.

Put in for Region G and go kill a big one while they are still there. It will probably not be the same in a few years when bucks that died as fawns this past winter should be good ones and are not there.

Is this the place to ask where I should apply with my 9 deer points next year?

Well I have 8 points and not sure what to do so welcome to the club.

South wind, I feel your pain as I have 7 points and not sure what a guy should do. Research I guess and try to pick the right unit that fits my abilities, i.e. Region G is for the mountain goat men.

Thanks. There is some info on this thread that helped me out. I have been trying to figure out how the Wyoming deer system works. I got the antelope system down pretty good then the deer really had me messed up with regions instead of units. Thanks again.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back