Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado, 2nd week September, Elk Greenhorn/Pack Mule

R.K.

Long story short, my cousin is getting married in Ft. Collins, and I just moved to Indiana for work. So I took a full week off work before the wedding (Friday) to camp, fly-fish, and look for elk since I'm already making the trip. I can't make a hunt work this year due to some logistics- mostly no freezer, plus the day lost to the wedding as far as keeping it from spoiling. I had been half-planning a trip with a friend, but he just changed jobs and his vacation plans have changed.

So I'll be bumming around Colorado from September 9-13, with the wedding on the 14th, and a headed home after that. I was hoping to tag along on an archery elk (or mule deer) hunt in Northern CO or southern WY just to get a feel for real terrain, and hopefully a pack out. If not, I'll probably hang around Mt. Zirkel Wilderness looking for a river with trout, but might wander a long way.

I'm 27, 6'1, 175lbs, and an engineer. I grew up hunting and backpacking MO and southern IL, started chasing whitetail during high school. No wall hangers, but I think I've put 12 in the freezer, a couple of those with a bow. Spend most of my time chasing ducks, trout, or crappie depending on location.

As far as gear- it's backpacking, whitetail, or waterfowl oriented, for the most part. I don't have merino wool (yet), and need new trek poles. Pack is an old Dana Designs (Mystery Ranch people) external frame in black, or an internal frame Coleman prototype. Boots are blue Asolo, goretex with vibram sole, worked well for me in Glacier NP. Have a pair of 10x42 Leupold binocs I can borrow.

If you want to know anything else, let me know. Or, if you just need an extra set of legs for an animal during that week, feel free to let me know when the animal is on the ground.

Take it easy,

Rob

I am usually bowhunting in unit 15 around that time. My friend and I drew muuzzleoader tags for a unit we haven't hunted yet. If we were in 15 I would say come along. I will be out there the 8th-15th. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck fellow Hoosier!

I hunt North Park on the weekends. Would be interested in showing someone a few ropes if it worked out. Won't know for sure until closer to the date as it all depends on who in my current group still has a tag.

That sounds fantastic- I'm not sure if the weekends will line up (I might need a day to acclimate), but I'll keep in touch, especially as the days get closer.

Redman- I'm not dead set on where I'm going yet, other than that wedding on Friday. My thought was north of Steamboat, and try fishing the South Fork Elk River and poke around to see if I can find something with antlers. Also considered visiting some national monuments if a hunt doesn't pan out. Simply put, I'm pretty mobile, and even more flexible.

If you want a greenhorn along while you're trying to learn a unit, I'd be glad to join you. If not, I'd still be glad to help pack it out if you figure it out. Not asking for meat or anything, just the experience so I know what I'm getting myself into next year.

R.K. I will check with my hunting friend and see if he cares if someone else joins us, having a willing pack mule on hand is always good! PM me sometime and we can get the details together.

Headed west, should be in mountains tomorrow. I brought gear with me in the hopes someone wants help packing out an animal- I'd really like to know what I'm getting myself into before jumping in headfirst.

Until I hear from anyone, I'll be chasing trout somewhere North of 70. No set plans, just a lot of leads and a well-fed gas budget.

R.K. - I'm looking for someone to join me Friday afternoon (9/15) through Sunday afternoon (9/17). I've got a good spot but have a 6am flight on Monday morning, so I can't risk shooting an elk and not being able to pack it out in time. Are you still going to be around, or heading home after the wedding?

Damn, I just don't see how I could make it work. It's about a 17 hour drive back (solo), and I was planning on heading back Saturday morning so I can be alive on Monday.

Thanks for the offer, and good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back