Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Drop Camp

sbwheaton

I am really wanting to go on another elk hunt. I went a couple of years ago to NM and had a great time. I am wondering if anyone has ever done a drop camp?

I've not personally done a drop camp, but watched an area outfitter run one, and talked to his clients when they were out hunting. I think they can be a mixed bag, depending on several factors. With the right outfitter, and a great area, they can be a cost saving option, in that they run a fraction of the cost of a guided hunt, an they will pack your Elk out for you as part of the deal.
What I've seen from one Outfitter, is that he puts his drop camp in an area that isn't exactly the best Elk country. I know that DIY hunters can reach the same hunting area the drop camp hunters are hunting with a little ambitious hiking on their part. How would you like to go out on opening day, and run into another hunter that was camped next to his 4 X 4 a mile away? Then, when an outfitter sets up camp, that area gets pounded from the beginning of archery season to the end of his rifle hunts. When you are packed in, a prior group may have just been packed out. You don't know if they've spooked every Elk into the next time zone, or not? I've talked to drop camp hunters that complained they never saw any fresh sign, much less an animal. Of course, hunting pressure in the general area can deliver a herd of Elk at anytime too though? The camp I've visited with, also had a guy that was hired at the last minute by the Outfitter, and didn't know a thing about the area.
So, if I was thinking of doing a drop camp, I'd be asking the Outfitter about the area he runs his camp, the hunting success there, and then ask for last year's clients to contact for references and information. Some Outfitters may run top notch camps, and some just deliver the leftovers in every way imaginable. I think the best thing you can do, is to talk to past clients before deciding.

Try the search function on here. There was a thread a few months ago about drop camps and IIRC a majority of the replies said the same thing as windymtnman.

I've never done one, but have met a few guys out in the woods who were hunting from one. The only positive a drop camp is going to guarantee you is some creature comforts. The negatives include a large price tag and being committed to one spot. Otherwise, carry in what you need on your back and have an outfitter/packer on call to come pack out an animal if you get one down.

There is no way an outfitter will put you in a location that is anywhere near as good as a client who is paying for a full price guided hunt.

There is no way an outfitter will put you in a location that is anywhere near as good as a client who is paying for a full price guided hunt.

This isn't true at all. I know an outfitter that packs hunters into the same camp his guided hunters hunt from. They just don't get the guide to hold their hand. Also have an outfitter where we hunt in Colorado that drops hunters in one valley and hunts the next valley over. We've hunted both and take more elk where he drops hunters.

It is certainly something to consider, but I would think that an outfitter who will pack you in a few miles from any roads or motor vehicle trails would be doing a service to guys who don't want to deal with horses, tents, and the other things that come with a drop camp.

I'm skeptical of drop camps for reasons already listed above. For the cost, I would rent horses and take a lightweight camp and stay mobile. Or just do a backpack hunt and have someone lined up for a packout. This may require a sat phone rental, which would still be cheaper and not commit you to one area.

As for this comment: " have an outfitter/packer on call to come pack out an animal if you get one down. " I don't want to sound like a know it all, as I have more questions than answers a great deal of the time. Here's my thoughts on that. Here in Colorado, I don't know of an Outfitter that would be "on call" to come pack out an Elk, unless of course you are paying some huge fee for that service? Outfitters on public lands, are permitted in a specific area to run their business. It's a Felony to contract for hire in packing without being registered as an Outfitter with the State, so you can't legally just stop in a ranch because they have a herd of horses and a trailer along the road. I queried CPW about this, and they claim you can't accept anything of value to pack game without a license. I understand the reasons for this, but also think they're a little overboard with it too.
Most of the Outfitters I've seen operating, are hustling to keep their operation going. Assuming you even were able to get in contact with one (that in itself might be a trick), they'd have to have a clear idea of where to meet, and from there, how much time it would take to pack one out? That would probably kill the day, and 1/2 tank of diesel. Last time I packed an Elk out for a buddy with our horses, I left home at noon, and got home at 12:45am....

I've been able to figure it out when I've had a bull on the ground both times that I've been lucky enough to have that problem. Once it was a fellow hunter. Once I found an outfitter at a trailhead. I had to wait a day, but with meat hanging properly, it wasn't a problem. I was denied by another outfitter prior to finding one because I didn't have a pre-existing agreement with them. Thus my 'on call' suggestion. 'On call' was clearly not the right choice of words, I doubt there's anyone busier than an outfitter in elk country in mid-september. Making contact with an outfitter ahead of time should help ensure you have somebody to help you. It depends on the state and area of the state in which you hunt. I suppose they're all different. My experience is in one unit in the Gila.
Having said that, I'm one to figure it out once I have the problem, and am always prepared to take it out on my back over a couple days if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back