Sight In Your Range Finder

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For those who rely on a range finder, here is a quick tip that might give you more confidence that it is ranging where you are pointing it. Lower end range finders (not always lower priced range finders) have a greater likelihood to be misaligned, shooting the laser in a path that is slightly off from the sighting reticle in the view finder.

This video is a quick tip on how you can tell if your range finder is properly sighted in (aligned).

[video=youtube_share;tJR_LRZUGq8]https://youtu.be/tJR_LRZUGq8[/video]

Great information here Randy but,,, what do you do if your crosshairs are say three feet left? Are there ways to adjust the aiming point?

Great information here Randy but,,, what do you do if your crosshairs are say three feet left? Are there ways to adjust the aiming point?

I don't know of any way to adjust the aiming point. I think you either compensate for the issues (not a good solution) or you replace the unit.

I can honestly say I have never done it or even thought much about it. Great idea that can prevent a missed opportunity of a lifetime.

I knew my Vortex was not that accurate.and I shoulda gotten a Leupold or a Sigg.
My power pole 50yrds away reads 48-53yrds...lol & picks up a reading 10' on either side against a cloudy sky background.
I blew it when I had a surveyor here a couple years ago.
Should have checked this against her data like I did my GPS. My Garmin Oregon 450T matched her HQ gear.
Maybe I can get a hundred for it from some flatbrim...lol

Don't Vortex come with a lifetime warranty?

Yeah but what is their benchmark for accuracy...lol
Going to try new battery & measure between 2 poles which I know are 400ft apart.........after the lightning storm goes by.

My next purchase will be a better rangefinder. At least right now I'm aware that mine is a POS.

Back