PEAX Equipment

Breaks drought and antler growth

montana_bow

Just read about record drought taking place in Northeast Montana and seems to include the Breaks area. Anyone put eyes on any elk or deer to see how horn growth is coming along with the dry conditions? I know there's always water out there despite the conditions but does dry weather like this have a large impact on antler growth in this area? Not going to find time to scout and have one trip planned for fall. Just figured I'd hear what guys have to say who have hunted the area for decades.

I've wondered the same thing, if a buck has good antler growth and potential thru say the 3rd week of June, then with the 3 or 4 weeks of hot mid 90 degree dry weather since then, how much will that affect his antler growth given he'll probably be done growing by early August anyway? I'd assume the affect would be minimal but maybe someone can enlighten me.

I'm not an expert by any means on this area but have deer hunted it the last two seasons. For the deer we were told that the sweet clover was the ticket to promote good antler growth. If there is a drought it effects the plants/sweetclover. Only about a 1/4 inch of rain fell in June. That is not good at all for plant growth and all the plants are affected. Without groceries antler growth will not be as good.

That's what I was figuring too. Sort of wondering if the thought matches up with what a guy would actually be seeing out there right now.

Yes, the drought is affecting antler growth bigly. People need to look elsewhere this year for yuge antlers.

been out in the breaks 4 times, sweet clover not to high or thick in all the places we have been, i have seen worse, seen lots of good horns on elk and deer, suprised at the number of 4 point mulies i have seen,

surely dont see that many during hunting season

Don't worry with all the discussion on burns they will all be scouring the July fire remnants. The rest of the Breaks will be void of hunters.

I can't tell you anything about antler growth, but I can tell you that the entire region, NE Montana including the Breaks, is dry, dry, dry. It's been dry since June. If it doesn't get some serious moisture before season, I'd be extremely careful about fire danger.

Back