Is a wall tent too heavy to backpack in?

guserto4

I'm making preparations for our first western hunt and am trying to figure out the intelligence of getting a wall tent. I need advice.

There are 4 of us, all in our early 30's, going to Idaho the back part of October for a 7 day hunt. I've located a spot for our basecamp about 3 miles and 900 ft of elevation gain (5% incline) from a trailhead where we'd park vehicles. We are not using pack animals to get in, but just our legs and backs. I am considering purchasing a 14x16 wall tent with eave sleeves(we would cut trees instead of using aluminum poles) and a "lightweight stove" but I am worried to spite the creature comfort it'll give, this Taj Mahal will weigh too much to be worth it, especially if its wet on departure day. My friends and I figure we'll make multiple trips to get in and out anyway, but figuring the tent could weigh north of 100 lbs this might be a bad idea, even if we 2 man it.

The question is: are we stupid/crazy to think we could lug this thing in and out of the back country? If We are, what alternatives would you suggest?

I assume 20-30's at night, with a chance of snow (~5,000 el. Basecamp) which is why we all like the idea of a nice place to rest and warm up in. BUUT is it worth it?

Last edited:
If your not using pack animals a 14x16 wall tent is to much to pack in on your backs 3 miles. I have one and there is no way I could pack it.

If your spending that kind of money, looking to pack it on your back, look at the many companies that have large pack tents. Kifaru has a 8 and 12 man Teepee that runs 8 pounds, and there are other good companies to look at. You can get one with stove that is packable.

You won't be taking that where you're talking about without pack animals. If you want that kind of comfort, I'd put it up near the trailhead if that's possible and hoof it from there every day. Either that or plan on getting one or two man setups that are light enough to pack in on your back or one like the previous poster mentioned and set up there at that place you mentioned that's 3 miles in.

Without a pack string there's no way I'm packing in a wall tent. If you feel you need a large enough shelter for all four to stay in, look to one of the lightweight tipis made by companies like Kifaru and Seek Outside. Otherwise I would suggest each person pack their own lightweight backpacking tent. With a quality bag and pad 20-30 degree lows are no problem. Significant chance of a lot of snow and I would be leaning heavily toward a four season shelter by Hilleberg.

image.jpg

This was the best idea I had, but you know, a little steeper ground and looking a lot less leisurely...

I guess we'll have to explore more options. Our backs thank your advice!

The only way I could think of getting a tent that size 3 miles from a trail head without horses would be using a game cart. But game cart are a pain in the but on side hills. And if I'm not mistaken if your going into a wilderness area there are no wheeled devices allowed.

I once planned a packed in hunt beyond a closed road using a game cart to pack in our wall tent and gear. It worked pretty slick. But we were on a old logging road not a mountain trail.

1 or 2 inches of snow and an ice fishing sled could make it work, I have pulled out bull elk in 2 loads by myself in short snow. No snow is too much friction. More snow and the sled sinks. I would defiantly look to plan B.

I've used a sled many many times to pull deer out of the north woods of The UP of Michigan, and a game cart also sounds like a slick idea, I just hesitate hinging the trip's sleeping accommodations on getting this darn thing in given unknown terrain.

It's a marked unmotorized trail on idaho's hunt planner map, very close to the border of The Frank. From aerials you can see it, but it's just a hiking/horse trail and not a road. Also, we are crossing a creek at the trailhead the F&G biologist said could certainly be done but "highly suggested" hip waders...

Perhaps the backcountry Hilton we were imagining is ENTIRELY impractical and not just kind of stupid. I think we gotta look at alternatives, which probably means relying on a campfire at night to warm up and dry off. Anybody know of tiny portable heat sources for a personal tent?!

Last edited:
I have a 12'x20' wall tent and completely agree with the advice the others are giving. Wall tents are for camping where either a vehicle or pack stock can get your gear. Having said that, there is nothing nicer than coming back to a dry tent and firing up the wood stove to warm up and dry out clothes.

Reasonable options for your situation is to either forgo the wall tent and pack individual tents to your area or choose a different area to base out of. If it were me, I would consider the latter. Unless you have firsthand knowledge that the area you have chosen is a prime location with elk around it, I would hesitate to make such a big commitment to a specific location. Far better to be based where you have the ability to be flexible with areas. Even in an area that has a lot of elk, there is going to be a LOT of country that doesn't have concentrations of animals. You could get lucky and find that you hit the X with your intended camp, but it's much more likely that you would get to the area and find out that you are a couple of miles away from where the elk are at that time of year. Additionally, basing your hunt 3 miles from the truck and hunting further away from the truck could have you killing elk 5 miles or further from your rig. Honestly assess your ability to pack the meat back to the truck. Backpacking meat 5+ miles is possible if all 4 of you are committed to helping each other but it will not be fun.

If you guys have the level of fitness among your group that would allow you to pack 100lbs of tent into a campsite and then pack 250 lbs of elk meat 4-5 miles out to the truck and your gear back all in 7 days you are going to be way more fit than most. Mountain miles under a pack are tough and take their toll. You only have the ability to carry a certain amount of weight a certain amount of distance before your body wears down and your ability to hunt is seriously impacted. I'd try to ensure that most of your energy is expended hunting for elk rather than packing gear.

Good luck on your hunt!

View attachment 72326

This was the best idea I had, but you know, a little steeper ground and looking a lot less leisurely...

I guess we'll have to explore more options. Our backs thank your advice!

If you do a quick search of most picture with heavy loads on poles, you will find nearly everyone walking on level ground.... Imagine yourself as the guy in the back and increase that incline to 5%. I've been on some packs where a pole and two guys seemed like a good idea. It mostly led to frustration, sore shoulders and putting weight back into backpacks and each person carrying their own load.

Agree with what is stated above . . . . . No. You would likely end up burning that tent before you come out of your week long hunt, instead of hauling it back out. Imagine if you get an elk and have to haul that tent out. I Conical's idea and the sled idea (if there is snow) might work, but as Gerald mentioned if there is any sidehilling or significant grade, you'll be frustrated or potentially injured. Gerald hit the nail on the head. Unless, you know this is the spot to base out of ... you're kinda stuck. Being at the trailhead and having the mobility to move to other locations to hunt, may prove a better option (since this sounds like you first time to this area).

Good luck and report back how your hunt went. We all love hunting stories .... successful or not.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Due to vehicle limitations and the type of country in this unit, we have few options for good, accessible hunting grounds. Also, this is a dual trip with some of the guys favoring fishing opportunities over hunting. So I'm sort of stuck with few locations that can accommodate everyone's interests and therefore the wall tent base camp at a trailhead for mobility's sake won't work this time around. Parking low to accommodate our vehicle's mobility, we'd be miles and miles of hiking away from the elevation the critters hang out at.

I figure our best option is get back a ways and gain some elevation and distance from the road once where we still hit all the wants of our party and lean on game being around because other people aren't. I believe there are several good looking basins and plenty of terrain to cover in proximity to the base camp location (Even found a few high elevation watering holes that look promising) that'll keep us busy for the time afield. We're being realistic with our success expectations and are excited for the adventure, even if we are unsuccessful.

I guess the biggest downfall to the plan (other than just not being in an area with game) is not luxuriating in a wall tent this year.

Last edited:
If you do a quick search of most picture with heavy loads on poles, you will find nearly everyone walking on level ground.... Imagine yourself as the guy in the back and increase that incline to 5%. I've been on some packs where a pole and two guys seemed like a good idea. It mostly led to frustration, sore shoulders and putting weight back into backpacks and each person carrying their own load.

Yep, did this once and I hope to never do it again.

With what your thoughts and plans are I'd go with a seek outside or kifaru tipi. Much, much easier to pack in and still provide pretty comfortable living conditions. You should be able to find a decent resale market if its not something you plan to keep long term as well.

My Wall tent >100lbs, very close to truck! My seek outside 6 man teepee <10lbs with stove, everywere else.

As mentioned - get a Kifaru or SeekOutside 12 or 16 Man Tipi with Titanium Box Stove if you can swing the cost. Weight will be around 15 pounds or less all in depending on model and stove size.

I think I'm reasonably comfortable now with picking up a multi-person tipi. I figure if I can find a tipi that'll work for 4 friendly guys this trip and'll also work for solo trips for me or me and the girlfriend, a dog, etc. in the future I can justify a tipi.

I wanted, and probably still do want, a canvas tent eventually (girlfriend and I are talking about moving to CO after I finish the house I've been rebuilding here in the flatlands, getting some land and living in a canvas tent for a summer while we get a new house off the ground and sealed up) hence the initial reasoning of getting canvas for this trip.

I'm listening to the gritty bowmen podcast #94 right now and they are going through basically all available tipi/tent/bivy options out there worth a darn. I think I'm convinced a solid multifunctional tipi / titanium stove is the way to go. I'll get a canvas tent in a few years when we buy land (and I buy a truck).

Thank you all for convincing me not to break our backs (at least from our backcountry housing)!!

Be in multiple tents. That way when people want to stay in different areas they are able to do so.

Wall tents are for next to the truck or horses.

That's nuts.

Get a Seek Outside tipi if you really want a stove. But honestly, 20-30 lows is not worth carrying a stove in my opinion. As long as you can keep water liquid in a tent.

Edit: I just saw you've replied to everyone. I think you're on the right direction with the light tee-pee tent and titanium stove. Look forward to reading your story and seeing some awesome pictures! One of the highlights of checking out this forum.

I made a "lightweight" wall tent and with stove/pipe, it weighs 15lbs. It's 10x. We've fit 3 tight...
Seek outside is a great Co. And one I purchased the large titanium stove along with a few other items...
You 'can do' a canvas wall tent using a long handled game cart... it worked. My canvas weighs 45lbs. 12x14. Tack a collapsible stove I crafted and we rolled approx 75lbs.

If you're buying to begin with, I'd recommend Seek Outside for a tee-pee setup and a titanium stove. $ though you're spending $ as it is. The lt. weight setup is more versatile, IMO. You can find them used and earlier Shangri-La's floating around sold as new. Get it sooner than later and 4 of ya go fishing out somewhere. Get the first run stove action outta the way, etc.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back