Opinions wanted

Bob Vetter

I've got a late model 2.5x8x36 VX-III that is just screaming at me to have it jazzed up in the Leupold custom shop.

Idea #1 Get a CDS dial installed and have dials made

Idea #2 Get a Ballistically matched reticle installed (BDC)

I have CDS scopes now and I like them. I m interested in the reticle for speed and less thinking while hunting and because my scope has the original range finding ring

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Option two for me. I have a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the Boone & Crockett reticle and I really like it a lot. My son has the same scope on one of his rifles as well.

I think for a hunting rifle it makes sense. It's a lot less complicated and less chance of screwing a shot up for typical ranges at game - 25 yards to 500 yards.

Option two for me. I have a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the Boone & Crockett reticle and I really like it a lot. My son has the same scope on one of his rifles as well.

I think for a hunting rifle it makes sense. It's a lot less complicated and less chance of screwing a shot up for typical ranges at game - 25 yards to 500 yards.

Thanks 6mm, that's kinda stuff I was looking for!

Scopes not going anywhere........

Anyone else?

Cheers

I have the B&C reticle on my 300wsm and I love it also. I know exactly where my bullets impacts out to 500 yds and it works well for windage too.
Betting it will be cheaper to upgrade than buy new.
Leupold is great to deal with.

I have the B&C reticle on my 300wsm and I love it also. I know exactly where my bullets impacts out to 500 yds and it works well for windage too.
Betting it will be cheaper to upgrade than buy new.
Leupold is great to deal with.

Yeah they are very easy to deal with folks for sure. You are right it's much cheaper than a new scope. Not that it really matter, but I just like the scope. The Reticle will only set me back $70 plus shipping and the time it takes to get it done. They are going to work with me on finding the right distance to zero rather than the "standard" 200 yards if at all possible.

They really are the best in the business

I'll play devil's advocate on this one and go with the first option. My reason being that if you decide later on to mount the scope on a different rifle then you can just order a new turret vs having to send it in for a new reticle. This allows you to maintain some flexibility.

I like the CDS a lot. But I've just gotten in the habit of setting for a 250 zero or so and shooting point blank out to 300. It's fun for long distances and works pretty darn well. But I don't see myself needing it in the field.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back