Wyoming preferance points now available to purchase.

Didn't draw anything but a cow elk in the first draw, so I bought points for everything except goat and sheep.

Didn't draw anything but a cow elk in the first draw, so I bought points for everything except goat and sheep.

got my pronghorn tag, so will buy elk and mule deer. Have 3 elk points now, will hopefully draw next year. What is Moose hunting like in Wyoming?

Impossible to do if you aren't already in the point game. Unless the population trends turn around somehow.

I have 3 points now for Moose and don't plan on drawing anytime soon, 10 years out at least if not 20 lol. That is why I'm not building points for goat and sheep. Too expensive to build years of points and I don't have time to hunt everything.

With point creep and the rising cost of points/tags, if you want to hunt moose just go to Canada and do it. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be able to do it while you are young enough to enjoy it.

Just purchased my Wyo Antelope point and will get my Mule Deer point in a couple weeks.

Something to think about, is that you are going to spend somewhere between $1500 and $3000 over the next 20 years applying for moose in WY. That is a good chunk of a Canada hunt.

I started putting for points this year with the Wife for her first hunt. Something we can turn into a family affair with the kids. I looked at the draws results from last year and don't think I was reading it correct after a lot of people commenting about not drawing and point creep. How many points does one need?

I am just looking for you average "I just want to hunt a any antelope tag" in a decent area in Eastern Wyoming.

I started putting for points this year with the Wife for her first hunt. Something we can turn into a family affair with the kids. I looked at the draws results from last year and don't think I was reading it correct after a lot of people commenting about not drawing and point creep. How many points does one need?

I am just looking for you average "I just want to hunt a any antelope tag" in a decent area in Eastern Wyoming.

if you have 1 point and apply special you'll be ahead of the game, especially after license fees go up next year.

I've drawn with 0PP and we tagged out on 2 bucks in 2 days. I'd look into getting a membership to gohunt.com, well worth the cost.

I have 3 points now for Moose and don't plan on drawing anytime soon, 10 years out at least if not 20 lol. That is why I'm not building points for goat and sheep. Too expensive to build years of points and I don't have time to hunt everything.

So there are 22,071 people ahead of you in line. Last year there were 315 Moose tags in Wyoming. So It's going to take approximately 70 years for all those people to draw before you. Let's say some dropout or die, and it only takes you 50 years to get to the top. Not too promising.

Well, there are some random tags too you say? I rough counted only about 13 tags available per year to NR. Not too promising.

All this is assuming the population don't continue the 20-year decline, if they do, things are even worse. I'm not trying to be negative, just bring a sense of mathematical reality to this trophy species draws. If you really want to hunt moose sometime before you are on Social Security, you need to be thinking of a trip to Alaska.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

Got my daughter and I points for deer, elk and pronghorn. Not sure my single moose point will be good for much haha, but heading to Canada this sept to try my luck moose hunting there.

So there are 22,071 people ahead of you in line. Last year there were 315 Moose tags in Wyoming. So It's going to take approximately 70 years for all those people to draw before you. Let's say some dropout or die, and it only takes you 50 years to get to the top. Not too promising.

Well, there are some random tags too you say? I rough counted only about 13 tags available per year to NR. Not too promising.

All this is assuming the population don't continue the 20-year decline, if they do, things are even worse. I'm not trying to be negative, just bring a sense of mathematical reality to this trophy species draws. If you really want to hunt moose sometime before you are on Social Security, you need to be thinking of a trip to Alaska.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

Yeah not a good outlook for sure. I decided to roll the dice since I have no idea where I will be in the next 20years. Hopefully an Alaska or Canada trip will be in the cards. I see the buying of points as an investment in wildlife. As long as the money is well spent and I assume the money goes back to habitat, at least i hope it does.

With point creep and the rising cost of points/tags, if you want to hunt moose just go to Canada and do it. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be able to do it while you are young enough to enjoy it.

Thanks for the tip!

I got mine the day after the draw. Website says if you dont receive by July 20th, to call them.

If you really want to hunt moose sometime before you are on Social Security, you need to be thinking of a trip to Alaska.

Or look at Idaho. Odds are actually really good (comparatively) in quite a few units.

Or look at Idaho. Odds are actually really good (comparatively) in quite a few units.

Yep; my buddy in Wyoming drew his OIL Idaho bull tag in 2007 for a unit south of Pocatello and we got him a nice one. Now another friend in Ohio drew his tag for unit 2 for this year and we're going up to help him fill it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back