Caribou Gear

Ever Try Whole Deer/Antelope/Elk Shoulder?

jtm307

The season is very close and I still have more than half the meat (deer, antelope, elk, grouse) from last season.I'm thinking this season I'll keep some of the front quarters whole to smoke or grill for large gatherings of family and friends, most of whom do not hunt. Anyone ever smoke , grill, or roast a whole shoulder have some pointers, recipes, or links toward which you can point me? I guess I could ask the same about deer or antelope hams.

On a small deer or antelope I almost always leave the front shoulder bone in. I always take the shanks off since they cook at a different speed and also because I like Osso bucco. I usually roast them overnight in the oven. Haven't tried smoking or grilling them. I'm guessing the smoking or grilling would be best with a hindquarter and indirect heat. I tasted some of the whitetail hindquarter that was cooked over a fire with a tripod at the BHA Field to Table dinner this year and it was amazing. However, it took over 8 hours to cook that way. IMO slow cooking with the bone in is the way to go for roasts.

I smoked a bone in antelope hindquarters a couple years ago while camping. Brined it overnight in a cooler then hung in smoker for 6 hours. Carved off the bone when done. It was phenomenal

Just got my first antelope and I am thinking of doing something like this too. You read my mind! Since the rest of the recipes in Hank Shaw's book are killer, I will trust his as a first go.

I have done several venison shoulder roasts whole. Found putting some bacon strips on the lean meats help sear in juices.I also use an old fashioned blue enamel roasting pan. Having a lid to keep moisture in helps.
I save my shanks for braised shanks.

On the Barbacoa in crock pot recipe in Hanks book,I just did a half neck slow for a day,rested & now cooking down with Mole sauce added. Elk Mole, shredded in burritos tonight.

I saved two whitetail shoulders whole to try on the Traeger. I'm going to follow Randy11's procedure pretty closely, similar to a brisket.

Start by smoking it for a few hours then wrap in foil; and finish at a higher heat. Bone in adds to the flavor.
Marinate it for a few hours before the smoking.
I just has some wild boar tamales made from last springs boar, I think venison tamales would be awesome made from last fall's shoulders and hams.

For thanksgiving by brother took a wild pig front shoulder and smoked it for a few hours the night before with pecan wood. Next day put it in a roaster to finish cooking until it fell apart. Added his preferred BBQ sauce and some season. It was smoked perfectly and one of the best pulled pork I've ever eaten. I imagine you can do with with any other front should. Taste good and very easy.

Also heard of people taking a yerling deer front shoulder, marinade and season with italian dressing, and preferred season blend (I would also add worchestire, onions, and garlic) wrap in aluminum foil and put on the pit until tender. Never tried it myself, but sounds good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back