Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Florida Get Together/Camping/Hunting Trip Interest

cpoplayer

I'm just checking to see if there would be any interest from the members in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama in a get together early next year. My original plan was a small game hunt which would have included wild hogs at St. Marks NWR. However, I just checked the new regs and the small game season closes in early January. So, we could either do an archery/muzzle loader deer hunt the weekend of February 3 or we could do a small game hunt which would still includes hogs the weekend of February 24. Small game would also be an option with shotguns or rimfire rifles during the hunt deer hunt.

There are plenty of primitive campgrounds available. I would bring my travel trailer and generator so we could have some power if we need it.

Here is a link to the regs http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/nw/apalachicola/

Gentleman,

From New Mexico. Had to compliment on a great idea. Shoot some hogs and drink some beer,

I can see this the rival of the Montana bear hunt.

Hope it works well for you!

Last edited:
How does February 2-4 sound to everyone?

I'm going to scout out some campgrounds within the next week or so. They are all primitive but, like I said, I'll take my generator so we can have some power.

Sounds like fun. I got to get my hunting calander organized, but if I don't have a youth hunt that weekend for my son I may drag him up there for a camp/ hunt weekend.

Gentleman,

From New Mexico. Had to compliment on a great idea. Shoot some hogs and drink some beer,

I can see this the rival of the Montana bear hunt.

Hope it works well for you!

^^^^^^^This Good luck and have a great get together guys! Share your stories and pics. I've made some great friends from Hunttalk that started out just like this.

A small group of us (6) did this back when Moosie was the Big KaHoona. We chose a pay by day ranch to hunt on, got free camping, a decked out skinning/cleaning shed, and a guide to ferry us around. It was only $80 a day back then. Sounds like Fun !!

Thanks for the responses guys! February 2-4 it is. I'll iron out a campground in the next week or so. How many folks will have RVs/trailers and how many will be tent/truck camping?

I've been on the phone with the Forest Service off and on all day trying to get some clarification on the camping situation. It seems there are different camping regulations for different hunting seasons. Hopefully I'll have a definite answer tomorrow.

Well I have located a great primitive campsite in the Apalachicola National Forest. It is called Piney Creek. It is located along the Ochloknee River on Forest Rd 335/Piney Creek Rd. There should be plenty of room for us there but, there are several other campgrounds nearby in case this one is full.

Now that we have a date and place nailed down, I was thinking of starting a new thread. Opinions?

Keep this thread alive it's easy to follow I'll look up the camping area
R u making reservations or each of us as individual's
Stupid question but is there alot of public land in that area that isn't on a draw around here in daytona it's few and far between.
I'm n I just want to nail down the particulars. If we have a head count is the campground going to reserve a joining spaces for all of us. Maybe group discounts:)

Keep this thread alive it's easy to follow I'll look up the camping area
R u making reservations or each of us as individual's
Stupid question but is there alot of public land in that area that isn't on a draw around here in daytona it's few and far between.
I'm n I just want to nail down the particulars. If we have a head count is the campground going to reserve a joining spaces for all of us. Maybe group discounts:)

The campground is free and no reservations are necessary. The dates are after general gun season so it shouldn't be too crowded.

As far as licenses go, you will need a Florida hunting license, WMA stamp, deer stamp (if deer hunting), archery stamp (if hunting with a bow), and/or muzzleloader stamp (if hunting with a muzzleloader).

There is a boat ramp on the Ochlockonee River about an 8th of a mile from the campground for anyone that might like to bring a boat. A kayak or canoe could give you easy access to some overlooked areas.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back