MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sitka Sub-alpine

Eyeguy

Impressed with this new gear from the perspective of an archery hunter. Lighter weight and the pattern is amazing. What do you guys think? (I know Sitka gear is kinda pricey.....I know Sitka gear is not for everyone.....I know a lot of people hunt elk in flannel and blue jeans (I would rifle hunt this way....but not a chance for spot and stalk archery in close) I know many use walmart camo and that is fine for them.....all these opinions have been heard time and time again). For those that purchase Sitka....or are interested.......anyone picking some up?

I don't know, I guess I'm not sold on the pattern itself the gear I've used and am happy with the performance I think I'll stay with the open country line for a while as well as the duck hunting awesome pattern for ducks IMO.

If you hunt later season in the rockies, I am not sure all of the green in the pattern will match the white aspen trunks and the dead leaves on the ground. The higher altitude on the ranch that I hunt (9000 to 10500) doesn't have lots of green. I think I will stick with my Optifade Open Country pattern for now. It seems to work and can be found at really good prices. The sub-alpine stuff all seems to be higher priced.

I am intrigued by the pattern for archery season. Like others have said, all the green probably won't work well later in the year. I've always shied away from patterns with a lot of green. Although the base color of this sitka seems to be more brown which seems to be one of the best all around camo colors.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but got the new Thunderhead jacket in Subalpine. Love everything about the jacket, very soft and quiet. Hope it's a dry jacket, it'll be perfect.

I am wanting a super lightweight system for bow hunting NC whitetails, but something I could take out west, and may get some at some point. Just a little hard to stomach the cost right now. I feel like the pattern would be good for both, but the Sitka guy at our local hunting show tried hard to convince me otherwise.

I am wanting a super lightweight system for bow hunting NC whitetails, but something I could take out west, and may get some at some point. Just a little hard to stomach the cost right now. I feel like the pattern would be good for both, but the Sitka guy at our local hunting show tried hard to convince me otherwise.

Specialized camo patterns are way overrated. Sitka is a great product but I'd venture to say that no critters are going to care whether you are wearing sub-alpine, open country, or solids if you are holding still. If you aren't holding still they will see you in any pattern.

Specialized camo patterns are way overrated. Sitka is a great product but I'd venture to say that no critters are going to care whether you are wearing sub-alpine, open country, or solids if you are holding still. If you aren't holding still they will see you in any pattern.

Couldn't agree more. Camo pattern only makes a difference in limited circumstances. The main benefit of Sitka or First Lite is the performance over the course of many days, not the pattern. I've even had good luck hunting in Sitka solids.

Agreed, a lot of elk have been killed in flannels and jeans but the quality of the gear is nice.

Yeah thats certainly what has been my thoughts. I ruined myself working for The North Face for awhile and understanding the value of high quality performance wear though. The ascent stuff just seems so much better for 90+ degree temps (with super high humidity) we get in bow season compared to their whitetail stuff. But any of it would be an upgrade for the army surplus pants I've been wearing for 15 years....

Yep. The high end gear is great. I just wouldn't worry about which camo pattern is most effective.

I started buying stuff in solids as the camo doesn't matter that much most of the time anyway. Now I won't be "out of style" in a year when the next pattern comes out.

Certain camo pattern are definitely better then others.The OP was talking only archery so let's not act like solids are a good choice.If you think movement is the only thing that matters go stand still out in a field and tell me how many elk come archery close.I agree that solids are fine in rifle season though your movement will be picked up much faster then someone wearing optifade patterns.In archery,movement is super important but so is having a pattern that breaks your outline.ASAT is a great pattern for breaking your outline up to an animal as well as the Sitka patterns.I personally like their open country pattern best.It works in all my hunting environments

LOL some of you guys are funny.... Thanks to the guys who actually answered my questions with your thoughts on this pattern as it specifically relates to archery hunting. And thanks to the others for the laughs for commenting on exactly what I asked not to...haha :cool: I know some people don't think camo patterns make any difference. Others think it makes a HUGE difference. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. Interesting question for the ones who think solids are as effective as camo patterns......and keep in mind I'm talking about shooting things at 50 yards and in.....hopefully 20 yards and closer! Not blasting them at 650 with a rifle (thats for you jeans and flannel guy) haha. If solids are the same at confusing the eyes of 4 legged prey....then why have many predators evolved in nature to have coats with built in visual disruption? Cheetas, leopards, tigers, etc etc. Why do prey have them as well? Why do a lot of young animals have coats with a lot of visual disruption?? i.e. spots, stripes, etc. Because they want to look cool? haha. No. Believe what you want to.....but its right there in nature before your eyes.....or not. ;)

Last edited:
So, I'm new to archery hunting (actually hunting in general), but I'm really impressed with the quality of Sitka Gear. I have not bought any of their clothing yet, but really like the open country pattern. As for price, I would rather save a little longer and spend more money to get the higher quality gear. Sitka also has a wide variety of sizes for those of us that are tall (I'm 6'5). I read a lot of good things about First Lite and definitely KUIU. High-end and more expensive, but great quality and warranty.

My only fault I found with Sitka, and it is a personal thing is I like a mid-layer shirt with chest pockets, and button up. Sitka doesn't make anything in Open Country (that I can find). Instead I use the Cabelas Micro tex in O2 Octane. If Sitka would come out with a long sleeve button up with chest pockets, I would buy it also.

Sitka (and any performance gear for that matter) probably doesn't have as much interest in a button up shirt for the simple fact that it takes longer to put on and take off. During a high country archery hunt it can be 20 degrees in the morning and 80 (or warmer) that afternoon. You can be to the brink of shivering and 10 mins later be sweating and over heating because you spotted an animal and are now closing the distance and hiking your rear off. One of the benefits of a layering system is that each layer complements the next and you can mix and match the layers you have to quickly give you the warmth you need or strip layers to cool off while hiking hard. Most of the companies Calisean mentioned make a 1/4 zip in the mid layers. These are easily added or removed. All of these brands mentioned are good quality. Best of luck making your decisions guys!

I do have two quarter-zips that I use as a mid-base layer over my base layer poly shirt. The button-up is not the main thing, but the chest pockets are what I wanted, and they are obviously not on any pullover. I guess Sitka offers so much quality gear, they can't have everything that people want. I'm sure I am in the minority wanting chest pockets, so I have to supplement my Sitka with the Cabelas Micro Tex Octane O2. Works so far.

Last edited:
If solids are the same at confusing the eyes of 4 legged prey....then why have many predators evolved in nature to have coats with built in visual disruption? Cheetas, leopards, tigers, etc etc. Why do prey have them as well? Why do a lot of young animals have coats with a lot of visual disruption?? i.e. spots, stripes, etc. Because they want to look cool? haha. No. Believe what you want to.....but its right there in nature before your eyes.....or not. ;)

Your point is well made. But I would also direct you to mule deer; the "gray ghost" has minimal visual disruption but still disappears into the background when not in motion. I think earthy tones like gray and brown blend in anywhere, and I use camo patterns with these base colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back