What caliber Kimber??

WHOCARES

Looking at getting a Kimber Hunter. Favoring 30.06 but wondering if the .308 or 7 mm a better choice. Somebody told me 30.06 might be a little much for the light rifle. What are your experiences or opinions. Intended for mule deer. Thanks for any input.

Have you shot a .30-06 before? If you're fine with that level of recoil (and it will be a bit stiffer in a light rifle), it's hard to beat the versatility of that round. If you're unsure though, and it's a rifle primarily for deer, I'd probably get a 7mm-08. It will be ample power/trajectory for mulies with much less recoil.

Dougfirtree summed it up. I have two Kimber rifles, both the classic model with wood stocks. One is a .300 WSM, the other a 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 will get used 95% of the time. It is a pleasure to carry, shoots flat enough and the cartridge is more than capable for anything the lower 48 has to offer.

Yes, I shoot the old Remington 760 in 30.06 all my life. Just wondering how different the Kimber Hunter might be with it. Guess I'm thinking more on the bench shooting and sighting in etc. Never feel the recoil when shooting at a critter! May use the new one eventually for elk if I ever retire my bow!

Looks like it comes in a 6.5 Creedmore.......;) :W: Ill take cover now..... Haha jk. I love my kimber. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks for the encouragement Cush! I will likely mount a Leuopold 3Xi 3.5x10x 40 on what I buy. Most tables show a 140 grain bullet for the 7mm. Is that the round of choice??

.30-06 has the most bullet options of the three and are most likely to find ammo compared to the other two whether in WY or TX or Africa.

.308 has 20% less recoil if I am recalling correctly and was my "everything" rifle until picked up a .338 Win Mag for shots on elk over 200 yards. .338 is heavy packing all day.

A Hunter chambered in '06 is gonna have some bite.

I've got a Montana in .308. It does have some kick to it.

I can't really say you shouldn't buy an '06, but expect it to kick and weigh that into your consideration accordingly.

I killed a mule deer buck last year with a Montana 7mm-08. It worked well.

Really need there's no clear answer because you could pick any of the 3 you mention and be very pleased.

30-06. You don't have to shoot heavy ammo in it for deer. Shoot 130gr loads and enjoy it. In the future, should you want/need to go up to a 180 or even 200, at least you could.

That said, if you never plan to shoot the big bears, the 7mm will do everything else just fine.

Jeremy

I'd pick one up in 25-06,270 or 280 Ackley. To me the kimber 84L Montana was made for the 270 and not even a 270 fan

I have a Kimber Montana in a .300 WSM and it is a pleasure to shoot. I also have a Hunter in a .243. If you want a "do all" round the 06 gets the nod. If you're wanting to try something different get the .280AI.

In my opinion it's the best "general purpose" big game caliber. There's not any one particular aspect in which it really stands out, it just does everything very well and does it without beating the snot out of the shooter in a light-weight rifle. And with all the different ammo on the market, it's pretty darn versitile too.

To piggy-back on Cush's advice, you can't go wrong w/ multiple tools in your toolbox, but IMO, the .308 is probably the closest thing to a good Leatherman out there.

Of the calibers the Kimber Hunter comes in and for a good deer rifle, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I'm not paying for it and so of the ones you mention I'd say ..... 7mm-08.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back