Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nelson/Cranbrook BC Fishing

Pagosa

Me and my family are planning to go into BC for 4-5 days in mid July and spend some time around the Cranbrook and Nelson areas. I was wondering if it is worthwhile to bring a canoe for better fishing access. Or does anyone have any recommendations for fishing spots for either fly-fishing or spin-fishing? I thought about driving west and fishing the Columbia River. I appreciate any help. Preston

Columbia river is always a good option for fishing. The river level should be down by then and that makes the fishing better. If you do make it to the river the seemingly better sections are between Trail and the US border. There is a good parking spot on Hwy 3B on the Trail side of the mall with nice walk down access that holds good fishing by the rock islands. Also down the hwy to the border(hwy 22A) has easy access spots with good fishing. Good rainbows and walleyes. How are you going from Cranbrook to Nelson? Ferry or Kootenay pass? The small lake at the top of the Kootenay pass can have fun fishing(although no lunkers) with an easy walking trail around the lake with easy shore access. Lots of small lakes in the area that canoes are great for. Growing up in that area i spent more time in at the mountain lakes fishing but i will try to recall some more information for you. Unfortunately i don't have a ton of experince around Cranbrook but i am sure someone will be able to get some info on that area for you.

I greatly appreciate it. We are really looking forward to seeing BC. I have been up along the west coast of BC and my wife has been along the Canadian Rockies, but this is our first trip together. We are planning to drive up to Cranbrook from Kalispell and go over the Kootenay Pass. I think I will try some sections of the Kootenay Lake also. I'm taking fly fishing, and spinning gear for both myself and the kids. I will do a write up when I get home. Thanks again.

Cool, after you hit Nelson and get ready to go home consider taking the ferry across Kootenay Lake and then drive back to Creston. Its a free ferry ride and the drive to Creston is nice. If your thinking of trying Kootenay Lake a canoe would probably help as its more of a boat lake than a shore fishing lake for sure. There can also be good fishing at the confluence of the Kootenay and Columbia rivers at Castlegar, which is about 30 minutes or so from Nelson.

I might try the river confluence if I have time. We are going up there for five days and are planning to leave next Friday. Thanks for the help.

We didn't realize how busy during the vacation season was in British Columbia. We could not find any lodging around Nelson within our price range. We are going to delay the trip until September. And I think the fishing will be way less pressure in the fall. Thanks anyhow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back