Randy ( BigFin) which tripod/head ?

just watched your antelope hunt on tv and was wondering the same thing, so i searched and found this. so i guess ill ttt.

If you have a bigger spotter, then through research and keeping budget friendly in mind I just picked up an old Promaster T525P (old version of the new XC525P which is 2oz lighter) for $149 off eBay, and a new Berno S2 head ($79) off eBay as well for my used 85mm Razor I recently picked up for a great price from someone upgrading to another brand scope.

Otherwise you have more options with a smaller spotter. Silk 624 is another tripod, but you have to look for the old twist lock version which is only available through S&S Archery as they have an agreement with silk. The newer flick lock versions are heavier. Promaster 6160 head is another that pops up.

I have multiple, depending on the application. That tripod is a video camera tripod. Weighs a lot more than I would ever pack up the hill.

right now i have a vortex summit but i feel it may be light for a swaro 65 ats

I have the SSP for my 50mm Razor and it works great. I've read of people just upgrading the head and keeping the legs on the Summit to help keep their 65's steady.

I also use a Promaster T525P if I'm using a spotter, if I'm just using binos on a tripod I take a Sirius T-035X.

the head is what i really dont like about it but i didnt know they were interchangable ill have to look at it and see thanks
I have the SSP for my 50mm Razor and it works great. I've read of people just upgrading the head and keeping the legs on the Summit to help keep their 65's steady.

How many of you will drag a tripod with you strictly for binocs, no spotter. Specifically for Elk in CO. Is the improved glassing that much better that you'll add 3+ lbs to your pack when not using a spotter? I haven't tried this yet, but hoping I can come up with a decent system of using trekking poles as a bi-pod for glassing stability.

I spend a lot of time glassing for blacktails here in WA/OR. The difference between hand held and tripod is huge. I do have a Trailpix tripod adapter that uses trekking poles but I use it on occasion for photos. It makes a serviceable bipod that would work OK for binoculars. It's a poor substitute for a good tripod though if glassing a lot.

How many of you will drag a tripod with you strictly for binocs, no spotter. Specifically for Elk in CO. Is the improved glassing that much better that you'll add 3+ lbs to your pack when not using a spotter? I haven't tried this yet, but hoping I can come up with a decent system of using trekking poles as a bi-pod for glassing stability.

I do this all the time. I feel that glassing off a tripod allows you to use %100 of your bino's ability. It's sure been a game changer for me.

I never sit down to glass without a tripod. If I had to choose, I'd rather use mid level glass with a tripod then top- level glass hand - held.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back