Idaho OTC COW Elk Tag

dcamp

Hi

I am thinking of going to Idaho for an OTC cow Elk tag. I have been listening to Fin on hiss pod casts and hearing him say that you can get an OTC tag. Can any of you let me know what area to go to and when? I would be out of state and most likely it would be just me going. I have never hunted Idaho before and looking for help on this. You can PM me too if needed. I am just looking to fill the frezzer.
Thanks ahead of time for the help. I appreciate it.

dcamp

Archery, rifle, or muzzleloader? Most archery hunts are either sex, only a few zones in the state offer OTC rifle cows, and muzzleloaders are a decent mix between cow hunts, antlered only, or some combination of spikes, cows, bulls.

Dcamp,

I would look at some of the A tags that have hunts in Aug-Sep for cow only with a rifle. You have to be within a mile of a cultivated field to shoot one, as well as not within the FS boundary, but it is not to much to worry about. Last year some archery hunters took advantage of this the last day of the season(Sep 30), while I was scouting for my season. Both were out of state hunters and filled their A tag with a couple nice elk.

The Bear River, Bannock, Tex Creek, and Palisades Zone's all have otc rifle cow tags that run from late October to mid November. The last two on that list have the most public land.

Back