Excel/Numbers Spread Sheet

kurtm2323

I am rebuilding my excel spreadsheet to track my preference points and big game applications, and was wondering if anyone could post up what theres looks like so that I can have ideas for improving mine. Just need some ideas on what more to track, thank you!

Mine's super simple, so I won't post a screen shot. However, I did add a "notes" column where I keep the log-in information/sportsman's number/hunting licence number/etc for that state. Keeps me from having to look it up. I also save mine on a "cloud" type server (I use One Drive that comes with a hotmail account) so I can access it anywhere.

I used to have a good spreadsheet, but very since I bought gohunt, I don't use it anymore.

It is a lot easier to just use a piece of scratch paper rather than building and maintaining a spreadsheet.

A Google Doc with state by state hunter ID#'s for myself as well as my dad or anyone in my group I'm managing is what I use the most. I can access it from any of the half dozen internet devices I might be using. I have an embedded spreadsheet in the word document of ID#'s with points by state and species. I don't really keep unit notes and statistics in the same sheet because that information is too dynamic and I've moved onto GoHunt and similar services to evaluate draw choices in real time.

Great info! Thank you guys! I had it in my mind that it needed to be more complicated than it is currently, but it really doesn't have to be because of gohunt. I never thought of putting hunter ID #s and login info, that's a great idea that could help me save time in the years to come. I do post a schedule of application deadlines (from gohunt) on my spreadsheet to kind of ease the headache of remembering which state is which. Great info keep it coming!

Another thing to keep in mind is that some states have a 365 day license window. If you apply late (like shortly before the deadline), then apply early the following year (as soon as applications open) you can get by with purchasing the license every other year and that will save you money. I currently don't use the GoHunt app, but perhaps they have it built into their package.

Here are the columns in my spreadsheet.
State-Huntin' Fool schedule
Species
Notes:
Date Due
Date Done
Choice(s)
Odds
2017/18 Results Date
Drawn?
Points pre draw
Points post draw
How Done
Hunter ID
Pref/Bonus
% Tags to NR
# of Quality Tags to NR in unit
Draw Sequence
Typical Harvest % for 1st Choice
Points only Option?
Note re Pref Points
Outfitter or Landowner Tags for Resale? If YES, estimated cost
Restrictions if draw/fill tag

Here is one row in the column:
Arizona-Jan issue
Pronghorn
02/10
1/14/17
4A rifle, 10 rifle
0.80%
03/27
No
12+1+1
13+1+1
SSN
Bonus, 20% to highest. Hunter's Ed taken in AZ provides permanent bonus point. Also, loyalty point after 5 consecutive years for a species.
Max of 10% in a single unit
100s
Everyone's 1st and 2nd choice is awarded before anyone's 3rd is awarded. Lose if do not apply for 5 years.
Yes
Lose regular bonus points if draw 1st or 2nd choice
None
None

Last edited:
I include a column that says what my goal is for that state/species and when I hope to draw. Am I trying to hunt a dream unit in 10-15 years, going for a good unit every 3-5 years, using it as an opportunity state, etc. I tend to forget exactly what my goal is and when I expect to draw for each one every time I close the spreadsheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back