Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

280 Ackley Improve loading.

coyote_hunter

Hi and thanks for letting be on here. I reload for a while haven't bought in factory ammo in 20 yrs+. Still got the last 2 boxes of 25 06 i bought. I am loading for 280AI. A kimber M 280AI. I live in Arkansas. I can kill only 2 bucks 4 doe's or all 6 doe's with a rifle. Only can kill 2 bucks a season. 6 deer total. I am going to try 139gr or 154gr SST or eld x 150 or 162 gr. Nosler 140gr bt or a 140gr or 150gr Accu bond. Or a 140gr or 168gr Berger VLD. I have killed many deer with 139gr SST and 140gr nbt and 140gr Berger VLD. Using my 280's and 7mm mag. I have got once fired nosler 280AI brass . With imr or H4831sc or RL22. Always use federal match large rifle primers. The shots will be 250 yds or less in open woods I will be in a climbing stand. Again thanks for letting me join. Richard

I had a 280 Remington for years and loved that cartridge but sold it. I replaced it with a custom .280 AI that I had built. Love that new rifle. I've not loaded for it all that long, only a year. I worked up a load with 140 gr. Nosler Partitions and IMR7828SSC powder. It really shot well, but I do want to try some Accbonds in it. The first year I used that rifle I took a really nice cow elk with one shot at 450 yards. She went about 30 feet and tipped over. I also took a smallish 4 point whitetail at 150 yards. One shot on him as well.

I'm a die hard Nosler fan and the 140 gr. Partition or Accubond both are great bullets. I cannot wait to get to load up some of the Accubonds to see if they will shoot as well as the Partitions did. I think the H4831SC would be a good powder. I've not used the Reloder powders much but I did not care for the results that I had, but that's only my experience with them. Lots of folks have had excellent results with them.

Best of luck. I think you will really like that cartridge.

I've had really good results in my 280AI loading 160 Accubonds and the 168 ABLR on top of Ramshot Magnum, I've also had good results with H4831sc or imr7828..the 280AI doesn't seem to be picky about suitable powders I've also seen good results with imr4350..

I've had really good results in my 280AI loading 160 Accubonds and the 168 ABLR on top of Ramshot Magnum, I've also had good results with H4831sc or imr7828..the 280AI doesn't seem to be picky about suitable powders I've also seen good results with imr4350..

Glad to hear that the 280 AI isn't picky about powders as I'm getting set-up to reload for the caliber for the first time. I'm planning on using H4831sc (The temperature insensitivity of the Hodgdon Extreme Powders appeals to me) pushing a 150 grain e-tip as I believe nosler shows that this was the most accurate powder tested for this combo but it looks like their load data for the 280 AI is currently unavailable. We broke in my dad's new Kimber Hunter 280 AI yesterday and I was very impressed how the rifle shot using factory 150 ABLR's (our best 100 yd group was about .75"). I'm going to be using a Lee neck-sizing only collet die and will be doing a hybrid OCW/ladder test with the gun as soon as we get our brass and bullets in (280 AI brass has shown to be quite a difficult find); from talking to Nosler, they currently do one run a year of this brass and the run is to happen in the near term; keep checking Cabela's, Midway, etc. over the next few weeks as it should show up in stock in the near future.

Another vote for 7828SSC. I full-length resize, I don't want the gun locking up with a little dirt in there. I set up my sizing die to bump the shoulder back just a few thousandths. Case stretch has been minimal, brass life is great.

I'm averaging 2950 fps with 160 grain Accubonds in my 7 SAUM with a 22" barrel with RL26. H4831SC was about 200 fps slower in my short barrel.

IMR7828SSC gave me close to the same velocity of the RL26(within 50-100 fps).

Another vote for H4831sc , 140Barnes TTSx works great in my 280AI which has a Lilja barrel. Play with the seating depth and you will be very happy

I am working on loads for my 280ai and 162gr ELD-x bullets. So far the best speeds have come from RL-22, but the loads haven't been very consistent. It has also proven to be pretty temperature sensitive with the hot weather we have been having. Working up toward max, I had a great node in the early morning. The same load mid day (close to a 20 degree temperature change) showed significant pressure signs. I have since moved on to 4831. I also have some 4350 on hand I plan to try out.

Back