MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st solo backcountry hunt!

I bring a small radio. Cuts down on the monotony off being alone and lets you feel at little bit connected to the outside world.

Wow, I had no idea you could rent them for only $100! I may very well do that....what types of places rent sat phones? I'll google it for sure....

I've used Explorer Satellite out of Ft Lauderdale FL a number of times. Reserve your phone early and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Easy to use Iridium phones send/receive both texts and calls. I also rented from a company in Dallas TX once but I forget the name at the moment.

I'm in pretty darn good shape and 4 trips is about the best I could do for a raghorn solo bull in relatively mild terrain.

Consider the following for packing an elk out 6 miles from your vehicle solo:

Trip 1: Two front shoulders, 6 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles. Total 12 miles.
Trip 2: Hind quarter. Backstrap. 6 miles. Total 18 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles, Total 24 miles.
Trip 3: Hind quarter, Backstrap. 6 miles. Total 30 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles. Total 36 miles.
Trip 4: Antlers, other meat, camp. 6 miles. Total 42 miles, 24 loaded.

Whew, yeah when you think about it like that it's crazy. If I rent a sat phone, which I probably will, then I'll have a packer on standby in case I do get one for sure!

I bring a small radio. Cuts down on the monotony off being alone and lets you feel at little bit connected to the outside world.

Great idea, I've never done a long term hunt solo so I don't know about the mental challenges of it. I whitetail hunt by myself exclusively but that's just for 1 day at a time. I'm nervous for sure, but excited about the challenge of something completely new!

Man. That's a good point. I brought a small solar powered speaker that could charge my phone. And I would listen to music in camp. It didn't work well. The speakers didn't charge my phone completely and I was lucky to have another battery charger. Those things are important too. If you have one bring it.

It does get monotonous at camp every night. Luckily I usually was too tired to care. But bring something to do during down times. Sitting in the rain alone can really suck the joy out of the hunt. I found myself looking at my phone photos. I also took journal notes on my phone.

I had occasional cell service last year. One afternoon I chose my route just to be able to call my kids and wife. I thought I enjoyed solitude but after 8 days I was ready to go home.

The InReach is a great choice. In fact, I just got back from scouting my unit. No cell coverage at all. So I bought an InReach based on that fact and this thread. I can't hunt when I don't know that everyone back home is safe.

Despite any tough talk, most folks can't stand being in complete solitude for long periods. Plan accordingly.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back