Caribou Gear Tarp

1st solo backcountry hunt!

I bring a small radio. Cuts down on the monotony off being alone and lets you feel at little bit connected to the outside world.

Wow, I had no idea you could rent them for only $100! I may very well do that....what types of places rent sat phones? I'll google it for sure....

I've used Explorer Satellite out of Ft Lauderdale FL a number of times. Reserve your phone early and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Easy to use Iridium phones send/receive both texts and calls. I also rented from a company in Dallas TX once but I forget the name at the moment.

I'm in pretty darn good shape and 4 trips is about the best I could do for a raghorn solo bull in relatively mild terrain.

Consider the following for packing an elk out 6 miles from your vehicle solo:

Trip 1: Two front shoulders, 6 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles. Total 12 miles.
Trip 2: Hind quarter. Backstrap. 6 miles. Total 18 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles, Total 24 miles.
Trip 3: Hind quarter, Backstrap. 6 miles. Total 30 miles.
Return to kill, 6 miles. Total 36 miles.
Trip 4: Antlers, other meat, camp. 6 miles. Total 42 miles, 24 loaded.

Whew, yeah when you think about it like that it's crazy. If I rent a sat phone, which I probably will, then I'll have a packer on standby in case I do get one for sure!

I bring a small radio. Cuts down on the monotony off being alone and lets you feel at little bit connected to the outside world.

Great idea, I've never done a long term hunt solo so I don't know about the mental challenges of it. I whitetail hunt by myself exclusively but that's just for 1 day at a time. I'm nervous for sure, but excited about the challenge of something completely new!

Man. That's a good point. I brought a small solar powered speaker that could charge my phone. And I would listen to music in camp. It didn't work well. The speakers didn't charge my phone completely and I was lucky to have another battery charger. Those things are important too. If you have one bring it.

It does get monotonous at camp every night. Luckily I usually was too tired to care. But bring something to do during down times. Sitting in the rain alone can really suck the joy out of the hunt. I found myself looking at my phone photos. I also took journal notes on my phone.

I had occasional cell service last year. One afternoon I chose my route just to be able to call my kids and wife. I thought I enjoyed solitude but after 8 days I was ready to go home.

The InReach is a great choice. In fact, I just got back from scouting my unit. No cell coverage at all. So I bought an InReach based on that fact and this thread. I can't hunt when I don't know that everyone back home is safe.

Despite any tough talk, most folks can't stand being in complete solitude for long periods. Plan accordingly.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back