Caribou Gear

Should I Bring my ATV?

I think 76 was referencing the number of pronghorn he's shot, all of which without any ATV. I was thinking you were the resident expert having put me down on several occasions because you've been "hunting since 1999" and so you know more than me and randy newberg apparently and your opinion weighs heavier. Next time I have an opinion, I'll keep it to myself because I'm younger and new to this area. This isn't a forum or anything and tough terrain/roads don't exist in Texas where I'm from.

Last edited:
I think he was referencing the number of pronghorn he's shot, all of which without any ATV. I was thinking you were the resident expert having put me down on several occasions because you've been "hunting since 1999" and so you know more than me and randy newberg apparently and your opinion weighs heavier. Next time I have an opinion, I'll keep it to myself because I'm younger and new to this area. This isn't a forum or anything

I can read and know what he posted. It looks like you're also butt hurt and now putting words in my mouth that weren't said! I never said I knew more than Randy or BuzzH. I merely stated that their hunts were probably very different in the units they've been in when there are well over 100 antelope units in Wyoming. All I'm saying is that giving an opinion on something is completely different than "being there and done that" in units being asked information by a person! Millworks is a nice guy and trying to help people, but when he posts information that are just his opinions and was making it sound like he'd been there and they are wrong IMHO it is a disservice to the person that may rely strictly on that information. I get a lot of PMs from guys on this site and MM asking for help and I never try to tell them anything about a unit that I haven't personally been in myself, although I will try to suggest various units that they may do well in. Mostly I can help with the draw, how to find stuff on the G&F website, and stuff like that since I've dealt with that stuff for so many years.

I've been in a cpl units where I was the only guy hunting off the single county road because pickups couldn't go more than 100'; glad I had the ATV. That's not always the case, obviously. A quad won't do much for you in 16. I never used the atv in a unit by Rawlins either. It's pretty much a unit by unit, and weather issue for me.

I've been in a cpl units where I was the only guy hunting off the single county road because pickups couldn't go more than 100'; glad I had the ATV. That's not always the case, obviously. A quad won't do much for you in 16. I never used the atv in a unit by Rawlins either. It's pretty much a unit by unit, and weather issue for me.

Exactly Bob, as it is a unit by unit call and especially so in bad weather. I wouldn't want to go all the way out from Mississippi and run into bad weather that may hinder or even stop the hunt completely when I could put that ATV right in the back of the PU like the OP stated.

Thanks for the info, guys. I just don't want to get shut down by slick roads late in the season.

If you have a ATV bring it along. You can always leave it in camp if you don't need it. A brief shower overnight turned what I thought was a good road into a nightmare.

Listen to Buzz, when it comes to WY antelope he is the expert.

I'll admit that I have never hunted Wyoming for Antelope, but after seeing Buzz's kills and I know Randy snuffed a big dude as well close to a main road, I"ll venture to agree they are where you find them.

I'll admit that I have never hunted Wyoming for Antelope, but after seeing Buzz's kills and I know Randy snuffed a big dude as well close to a main road, I"ll venture to agree they are where you find them.

Nobody here is arguing with that! However, if you aren't seeing what you want on a main road or can't get to a legal piece of public land on one and need to get off the beaten track to do so it sure helps with an ATV when the roads turn to grease. By the way, our resident may be called an expert by some, but my old man, rest his soul, always told me that an exert is just a drip under pressure, LOL!

i have hunted 74 a couple times. no ATV needed. period, especially one hauled from Mississippi as Buzz noted. I live 5 hours from that unit and own an ATV and never pondered bringing it. Yes roads get slick when wet. When that happens you adjust. And will be glad you drove the unit and found great glassing spots you can still get to till smaller 2 tracks dry out.

BTW you took "my" tag. :) you are in for some fun. are you rifle or bow hunting?

K, we will be rifle hunting.

I have to question some of the logic being used on this thread...there is absolutely no way, even if I had one, would I drag an ATV from Mississippi to hunt pronghorn. You don't need one.

As far as covering country in a truck...that's no the lazy mans way of hunting pronghorn, that's the smart mans way of hunting pronghorn. WTF is the difference between covering country innm a truck and covering country on an ATV?

I've only shot 76 pronghorn, all without an ATV, so I'm not as qualified as topgun on how to properly hunt pronghorn.

But I will make a suggestion that you cover country in your truck, get out and glass every pronghorn you see. Find high spots and glass from them. If you see country that needs to be hiked to...hike out to a high spot and glass there.

But, I would be cautious of taking topguns advice that you can only shoot "dinks" from areas where there are good roads and truck access...that's just a bunch of bullchit.

Dink...that spent almost all its time near a highly traveled county road...probably the heaviest used road in the hunting district it came from. In fact, if you look to the left of the horn...you can see the county road.

IMG_0705.JPG

Glassed this one from a highway for my Dad:

DSCN7867.JPG

Glassed this one from I-80, parked in the right of way, hopped the fence, put a mile stalk on it...game over:

IMAG0194.jpg

Bottom line is that big pronghorn are where you find them and the way to find the best ones is to cover ground...primarily with glass and driving in between.

You don't need an ATV and like I said, there is NO way I would drag one clear from Mississippi...no way.

I agree wth Buzz. I don't own an ATV and never will. I have no use for one, that's what my pu is for, please don't anyone call me a road hunter either cause I'm not but imo driving as many roads where legal is the only way to hunt(scout)for antelope especially if your looking for a big buck. Big bucks aren't everywhere, far from it, and to find one you need to cover as much of the area as possible. Once I spot one I don't care how many damn miles I have to walk to to get within shooting distance. Nothing wrong with walking from roads to get to a vantage point to glass areas you can't see from roads, I do it all the time. Made 6 trips from Laurel Mt to Wyoming last year, 3 scouting and 3 actual hunting before my son and I got our bucks, well over 6000 miles, probably closer to 8000 I'm guessing. Got no problem with a 4 wheeler if that's your thing it's just not mine.

Also, I see that elk tags include a fishing liscense. Does antelope include one as well?

Here is my ATV logic story from Wyoming antelope. The first year we went out there it had rained for 2 days straight before the season opened. We had been scouting for a day and assumed it was too wet to get in there despite having a TRD Tacoma. The first morning we are on foot, trucks come in behind us and get horribly hung up in the mud pulling a UTV on a trailer, abandon the truck and then drive around all day with the UTV. The guys were idiots, but it saved their hunt and they shot juvenile bucks with relatively little effort. Fortunately or not these guy's experience was pretty normal in the way most people hunt antelope. The guy's who got stuck really ruined that stretch of 2 track permanently with their truck, but I doubt they lose sleep over it.

We ended up covering a lot of ground on foot and ran into a lot on antelope in small terrain features they guys on motors missed. We did work too hard walking a few miles of unproductive ground before we really could hunt ground the motorized traffic couldn't utilize the first day, but the following day and years we started using the 4x4 capabilities of a truck to get us to where we could start hunting on foot and going from there.

I've have watched both trucks and ATV's break trail use and trespassing rules/laws so I can't say that one use group is better or is worse.

Nothing worse than idiots using trucks and or ATV's illegally or without regard for tearing the chit out of roads. Damn near got shot about 30 years ago when I confronted a couple a--holes doing exactly this, probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but I was 30 and bulletproof proof I thought.

I've never hunted your unit but I'd say do whatever makes you happy. If you can still get all your coolers and other gear in the truck with the ATV and not have to pull a trailer then I don't see what the big deal is. I've never hunted with an ATV, but that isn't to say it wouldn't be useful in some cases. Just be responsible and leave the land as you found it and have a great time.

I made the trip last October from Louisiana. I debated the use of bringing one. I felt wet roads would be the only reason I would need one. I looked at the forcast before I left and decided I wasn't going to bring one because of that. Yes weather can change but if you have a week to hunt and the forecast looks good. I would choose to leave it. It rained the day we got there and 30+ wind. The roads dried by the next morning. The only time I would trailer one is if I had 3 or more hunters coming in the one vehicle where y'all could cover twice the ground. And little added note. We drove straight through and timed our trip to do the first 1/2 in the evening and night. That way we were driving into Denver for morning and getting the pretty drive during the daylight hours. Helped make the drive a little better driving Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas at night. Not much to see imo. Hope your trip is a success! I have only been in one western trip and am by no means a veteran. I was in the same shoes last year and those were my choices.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back