Swarovski 65mm vs 80mm

nhn2a

So I've decided to buy a Swarovski Spotting Scope. However, I'm really struggling to decide on whether or not to go with the 65mm or 80mm objective. I'm currently leaning towards the 65mm since it will be easier to pack and carry around. I'm not too worried about the weight difference but more of the size and it fitting in the spotting scope slot on my badlands 2200. It'll mainly be used at the range and on some occasional western hunts. I've heard the 65mm gets a little dark at 60x zoom so I'm currently planning to go with the 25-50W eyepiece if I go 65mm.

Does anyone on here use the 65mm ATS or STS and if so, what's your experience been with it? Do you regret not going with the 80mm at all?

I kept moving up in spotting scopes from 50 mm objectives to an 80mm now. I don't have any desire to go back down to a 65 mm even if it would save me a few ounces.

I went with an ATS80 and have zero regrets so far. I'm sure the 65 is more packable but it's worth it to me to have an 80. The view is incredible.

Having said that, if you go 65 then I would definitely recommend the 25-50.

I think with Swarovski the objective size is not as important as the eyepiece.

If you don't care about wt and want more light, get the 80. If not the 65 will still clobber the vast majority of the other brands largest model.

Either way, get the 25-50 wide eyepiece no matter what. Stay clear of the 20-60.

Another thing.......spend the money for a really good tripod. I have friends who are dealers for Swarovski, leupold, vortex, and nightforce.

The told me "we can get you a great deal on the Swarovski carbon fiber tripod, but the best tripod there is is the outdoorsmans". Don't spend $2,500 and get a $258 tripod. The best glass in the world don't mean squat if it's not stable and easily moved around.

I'm sure you've done your homework but I'll just add my 2 cents. Check out the Kowa 77 mm, personally I think they are better than Swaro's. I have the 66 mm Kowa and other than my Zeiss classic Binos it's the best piece of hunting equipment I own, period. Anyone one else a Kowa fan like me?

What ever you get make sure its an apochromatic model. The image will be noticeably sharper. GJ

I'm sure you've done your homework but I'll just add my 2 cents. Check out the Kowa 77 mm, personally I think they are better than Swaro's. I have the 66 mm Kowa and other than my Zeiss classic Binos it's the best piece of hunting equipment I own, period. Anyone one else a Kowa fan like me?
I put the Kowa 77 with the 25-60 WA eyepiece up against a Swarovski STS 80 HD and a Maven 80. To myself and 2 other sets of eyes the Kowa outperformed both easily.

I did read several reviews on the Kowa 77 but wasn't able to find a dealer local to look at them myself. From the ones I've read, some say its slightly better and others say its slightly worse than the Swarovski ATS/STS 65 but most say they are pretty much in the same ballpark regardless as far as glass goes. I'm able to buy the Swarovski at wholesale so the price of the Swarovski is actually less than what I can get the Kowa for and I know the Swarovski's hold their resell value if I ever decide to change it up. I've got a couple other Swarovski items and have never regretted them one bit so I'm planning to stick with them based on experience and the brand reputation; however I do appreciate you throwing out other contenders.

For those that have gone with the 25-50W eyepiece in the Swarovski, have you ever regretted not having that extra 10x zoom from the 20-60?

I bought my son a Swarovski 65 about 10 years ago and it's a great scope, he thinks so too. I have never liked the center ring focus, I'm always bumping the scope or having to look where I grab it, awkward as hell for me. I'm always looking to find a brand in whatever I buy that is something I perceive not everyone else has and has excellent quality, in Kowa I think I've found it, at least in their spotting scopes. Can't wait till their compact line comes out later this summer.

I'm also in the market for a Swarovski spotter. I think I'll end up going with the STS80. I'm also curious as to what the benefit is of the 25-50 compared to the 20-60 eyepiece. Better light gathering? Thanks!

I use 60 power quite a bit, not so much or ever for spotting but zooming to get a bit better look on a good animal, I'll always opt for the 60, but that's just me.

The ATM 80HD weighs about 6oz more than the ATS 65HD with identical glass. Find a used ATM80 and carry the extra 6oz, best of both worlds... just my .02

Last edited:
MTHunter, it's the wide angle. AKA. More field of view. Plus when you zoom in, you loose very little on the edges. Things just get bigger.

I know no one who would recommend the 20-60 over the 25-50 wide. None of my friends who have the wide angle wish for the 20-60.

I rarely even need to go past 30-35 power. That's usually enough to either put everything away and get stalking or move on to looking at more of the hillside.

Three things I now cannot go into the field without.

1. Wide angle eyepiece on spotter
2. My outdoorsmans tripod
3. Putting my Bino's on a tripod.

I'm also in the market for a Swarovski spotter. I think I'll end up going with the STS80. I'm also curious as to what the benefit is of the 25-50 compared to the 20-60 eyepiece. Better light gathering? Thanks!

From what I've read on reviews, the wider field of view is the biggest benefit. Also some say its clearer than the 20-60. My thought is that since the 65mm model doesn't take in as much light, it wont be as good at 60x so the 25-50 would be a nice range for the amount of light captured.

I had an STM65 and ATS80HD side by side. Both are impressive but the 80 won in low light by a noticeable amount. It is a newer HD scope also. I still have my ATS80 and sold the STM65 to fund one of the new Kowa 55mm spotters to put in the pack. I'm getting to be a wuss about packing a big scope. I sometimes pack 15x binos and a spotter, needed to drop some optics weight somewhere.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back