Be the Decoy Antelope Hat

blue devil

Father-in-law and I are archery hunting antelope this year and looking at getting the Antelope decoy hat. Is it suggestible to also have a Montana decoy as a backup? Or hats good enough? Let me know what you guys use

I bought one last year for a hunt in NE. They are not very durable so you have to be really careful with them.

If it was me I would have the Montana Decoy. Having two guys would help. I am not sure the terrain you are in but I would have loved to have a ghille suite where I was.

Unless I was on a big enough piece of private property to know that I was safe using any of that stuff I wouldn't. There are too many people shooting way past their capabilities with equipment nowadays to take a chance of getting shot just to try to kill a friggin goat.

I use the hat and love it. NOTE: I also hunt solo and have tried the other decoys..... in the end the are a pain in the butt. Too awkward to hold a bow and maneuver a decoy.

good luck to all
the dog

That sounds crazy dangerous. You'd be putting a lot of trust in drunk idiots in the surrounding area

I remember watching an episode of OYOA where Randy was wearing one of those antelope hats while bow hunting. I must admit it looked pretty silly. I'm not sure if it helped or not but the buck did watch as Randy thrashed his horns on a bush and didn't run away immediately.
Maybe Randy will chime in with his opinion on whether the hat was of any help.

Last edited:
I absolutely love those episodes where Randy uses the hat - it inspired me to buy one! I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in a little over a month.

Cheers,
Mick

Just make sure you put the doe in heat scent on the Montana decoy and not yourself. You don't want to get the "prison experience" out in the sage brush. These days with iPhones and all, you never know who may be videotaping.

I got the hat after that episode too and used it when in newmexico as I knew I was supposedly the only one in the assigned ranch area..Id be careful though if there are other gun hunters in the area.

I've got one and it works... If your worried about other hunters/getting smoked put on your orange... I tied a couple of 3' orange ribbons to the horns and sat out in the middle of a pasture, after about 20-30 minutes I had about 15 lopes nearly run me over till they winded me.. Its great fun, the montana cow decoy is legit too...

Back