I know you guys like the 6.5 creedmoor...

Good thoughts above. Even though I just bought one, if Kimber made the Hunter in 6.5x55 I would have bought one in a heartbeat just for coolness.

I do like recoil of the Creedmoor, but there is nothing magical about it. It just happened to be the most complete combo I was looking for. If I wasn't a recoil puss I would have bought the 280 AI.

I'm not against new cartridges by any stretch. Guilty of buying my first RUM as fast as I could get one in 2000. Thought the short mag craze was overblown. Gun guys are a funny bunch. What makes one guy giddy, another won't touch. Hey JLS, even though I'm a .30 guy, that 280AI is something that catches my eye. 28 Nosler too.mtmuley

Last edited:
I am more than certain the 6.5 Creed more can't do anything my rem.260 can't do better.
But, for me it takes magnum performance to make me happy.

To each his own fellas.

Thoughts? I don't have any experience with the creedmoor.

Mine is awesome at the range and in the field, and it's a lighter rifle. It's been around long enough to get past 'fad' status for a reason, don't listen to the haters...

Last edited:
As a cartridge and chamber designer/developer in addition to being a custom gun maker and competition shooter I can give some insight into the popularity of the creedmoor, be advised I'm a fan of the creedmoor but like Mtmuley and others have said it's nothing new. I first built a creedmoor about 10-12 years ago but it was around long before then as a benchrest round and later a highpower and F-class performer. The design of the cartridge is really along the lines of an Epps deign, think of P.O. Ackley but Epps preferred 30 degree shoulders over the typical Ackley 40 degree.
As far as the 260 argument, it's really a ford vs chevy argument between the two with benefits, albeit minor benefits to both. The 260 can gain slightly higher velocities, is it enough to make a difference, even in the competition world? My opinion is no, but shooters of the 260 in comp will say other wise. Quality brass availability for the 260, this is slightly going away as lapua is now making Creedmoor brass but the popularity is still causing some supply issues.
The creedmoor is more efficient per volume, hands down no argument to be had here. The design of the chamber (there's 100s of creedmoor and 260 chamber designs out there to choose from) promotes better precision, meaning it's easier to find a load that shoots and takes up machining errors and component quality typically better than a 260. This does mean a 260 wont shoot, plenty of them will but it's been my experience that 260 are bit more finicky on their loads. Keep in mind this is subjective, what I consider a mediocre load or group might be fintanstic in someone else's mind. If it's doesn't shoot well into the 0.2" or better for 5 shots at a 100 with good SD's then I'm not very happy with it.

Because it was intended for competition use, there were some parameters or rules in place that lead to the development, namely speed and caliber. You have to stay under 338 caliber and you have to stay under 3000 fps in most of these competitions, this fits the creedmoor great. When it was developed, it was developed to get the most use out of a standard short action length magazine. This is where it beat out the 260 initially, later on with better bullet designs the 260 came back strong. So much of the case with the then heavy for caliber 140s was used up in the 260 that it couldn't get the performance the users wanted. This again is where the 6.5x55 is lacking, it's an intermediate length case, meaning you really have to build it on a long action, at that point there's better options out there to do an even better job. Dont get me wrong, I love a 6.5x55 and with modern methods and pressures you keep up with and sometimes pass a 6.5x284 performance with a 6.5x55.

All of this said, I'm getting nearly 3000 fps (actual 2993 average with 2.3 SD) out of my creedmoor on a 25.75 inch barrel with the 143's shooting in the 0.1's with my chamber design and absolutely no pressure, in fact I'm about 8,000 psi under max pressure. I shot as fast as 3021 average but wasn't getting the SD's or the groupings I was wanting.

The timing and marketing behind the "release" of the creedmoor, the commercial release into the mainstream was truly the key to it's success. The 243 and even the 7mm08 (which is a favorite of mine and does amazing things at distance) got a reputation as a youths gun or as a womans gun so there was a stigma of not even considering them for quite some time. It seems that stigma is starting to go away.

Not sure if any of this helps anyone but it's something I have a lot of experience in not only in design and competition but in retail and custom building world.

I just about had myself talked into a Savage 12fv in 6.5cm. I found one at a local gun store in .223 and am glad I did because that thing is waaaay too heavy for me to carry around.

Looking at the Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 instead. Lot of fun for the money.

Im sticking with my 7mm08 for now for a low recoil shooter but I sure dont mind others getting excited about something that works becoming more popular. If we just stopped at the 243 and the 30-06 we would have all we ever needed but we sure wouldn't have much to talk about.

My dislike of the CM has to do with it being sold as the end all be all of rifle calibers. For the vast majority of people it really doesn't matter as they will never practice enough to get the benefit of the improved BC that it provides. The low recoil is a huge selling point, but for most people it won't matter because they will never put the rounds downrange for it to matter.
Huge to me is that due to it's long range capabilities the conversation about it being the perfect long range hunting round are becoming more and more common. 500 yard elk rifle? I guess. But how many people should even be trying to shoot game at long range? Based on what I see at the range damn few.
This caliber does nothing that the .260 or even more importantly the 6.5X55 has been doing for a very long time, but all the sudden it is the perfect caliber that everyone must have. Low recoil, amazing BC, easy and inexpensive to load, and making the used market for magnum .30 rifles a buyer's market. What's not to like?
There are 50 rifle calibers out there that shoot just fine out to 300 yards, which is exactly how far most people should be establishing as a maximum distance based upon my observations.

On sale for $319 with a $100 rebate. I ordered one. :p

$240 with tax plus gas to go get it.

Anyone seen their Cabelas Creedmoor yet? Bought mine 6 weeks ago and no status change on the website.

Anyone seen their Cabelas Creedmoor yet? Bought mine 6 weeks ago and no status change on the website.

I didn't order one but judging by the popularity and price I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a very long time. Hopefully it gets to you before the rebate expires. My 12LRP will shoot dime sized groups all day.

There is a big thread on Savageshooters forum on this deal. Plenty of people are getting their guns. Rebate is good from date of purchase.

I cancelled my order when I found a preorder deal for a Tikka T3X in 6.5CM. Waiting on that unicorn now.

Spoke too soon. Mine arrived today. It's as ugly as I expected but way heavier. Terribly balanced. Needs a better stock. Maybe someday.

But for now I can't wait to see how she shoots.

Gotta say that the 6.5 CM has taken the shooting sport's by storm and I haven't a clue why. Most people that shoot, hunt! There is not one thing the 6.5 CM can do that the 260 can't do and has been doing all along. I'd get the 260 myself, much much easier to get case's to reload. I suspect there a lot more data around for the 260 as well! Someone tell me, what's so special about the 6.5 CM other than it's name. And please don't tell me abut the neck on it!

Simply put 6.5cm will be a common caliber from here on out while .260rem becomes more and more obscure.

Plenty of competition in the 6.5 category. The Creedmoor is here to stay.

I bought a 12 FV in .308 a year or two ago. Screaming deal, like you guys said, I couldn't pass it up. I honestly went to Cabelas looking at the Remington 700 ADL varmint that was like $50 more than the Savage. After looking at both I decided to go with the Savage because of the price difference and accutrigger. The stock on the gun is absolute junk(it's not the accustock), I need to get a replacement. The action on mine is also a little sloppy, the bolt really rubs badly and hangs up on the internal box magazine. I figured that I could probably fix this problem when I get the new stock. I've not experimented with the gun too much yet, but I'm not blown away by it or anything. 1" groups @100 with handloads. I wish now that I would have waited and got the 6.5 but they were not making a 6.5 at the time I bought mine. I hear a lot of people complaining about the weight, but this is a heavy barreled varmint rifle...its supposed to be heavy!

I don't know what the big appeal of the 6.5 Creedmoor is, much like the manbun. :confused:

13408837_611811928988746_361487270_n.jpg

Flat shooting, low recoil, maintains a whole lot of energy at distance.

I resisted for a long time, but comparing ballistics it really is a combination of a whole lot of good things that combine into a great package.

That picture........ The stupid Grizzly Adams beard thing is what I don't understand. Work in an office, drive a Prius, beard like a mountain man.

Back