I know you guys like the 6.5 creedmoor...

G

Guest member 25165

Cabelas is selling a savage 12 FV in 6.5 creedmoor for 369.99. It's a blind mag, heavy barrel...but heavy gun as well. Weighs in at 8.5 lbs. I have one of these in 22-250 and it's a tack driver. They are on backorder right now. I'm thinking this might be a fun range gun. Thoughts? I don't have any experience with the creedmoor.

I got a Sav 10-FCP-sr in 6.5 creed. Fun gun that doesn't necessarily have a specific niche in my opinion. It does do a lot of things well. yotes, deer, varmits all well within the available ammo selection. Super light recoil with higher weight ammo options then a .243. But if you don't reload ammo is relatively expensive and not super available. If you do reload brass can be difficult to come by in brick and mortar stores. I have gotten really good life out of my brass. With handloads my rig is 3/4" Moa consistently out to 500 yards (furthest I have tested loads).

Can be good in the field for specific situations. My whitetail spots has multiple 500 yard shots. I often carry a heavy rifle, 300 WBY Accumark, and have sandbags at stands. A heavy rifle really shines in that situation.

Come on MTMULEY, if it was called a 6.5 Remington mini mag you'd like it. : )

Just teazin. The creedmore is here to stay. With those 143 grain eldx rounds and the lack of recoil and awesome accuracy..........the 6.5 Creed is here to stay. It's making the .308 long range rifles obsolete and for hunting everything I'm seeing from the .243 to the 6.5x284 are just collecting dust on the shelves.

The guy at the gun counter told me last week he is selling 5 rifles chambered in the creed to one chambered in anything else over the past six months.

I tried to stay away but I caved.

Cabelas is selling a savage 12 FV in 6.5 creedmoor for 369.99. It's a blind mag, heavy barrel...but heavy gun as well. Weighs in at 8.5 lbs. I have one of these in 22-250 and it's a tack driver. They are on backorder right now. I'm thinking this might be a fun range gun. Thoughts? I don't have any experience with the creedmoor.

If you can find Savage 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor I would definitely get it. I dont't think that Savage is actually producing them anymore. I'm an FFL and none of my distributors have one and it's not on Savage's site anymore. I love mine though, my 22-250 is a tack driver. Consistently shoots sub 1/2 MOA.

Howa 6.5 creedmoor sales are about the same. Can't get enough of them! And for a good reason, the 6.5 creedmoor is a very well balanced round and for the reloader there are a ton of options. I've taken mine out to a mile and it's far more pleasant to shoot than a .300 WM or even the .308.

mtmuley, in my time here on the forum I've come to really respect your opinion and enjoy your sharp, to-the-point style, so I'm interested in hearing the cause for your disdain of the Creemoor. I don't have one, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, but I'm curious. Seems like most folks are wetting themselves over it.

My next rifle will be a 30 Nosler. Got to shoot one last weekend and loved it.

My dislike of the CM has to do with it being sold as the end all be all of rifle calibers. For the vast majority of people it really doesn't matter as they will never practice enough to get the benefit of the improved BC that it provides. The low recoil is a huge selling point, but for most people it won't matter because they will never put the rounds downrange for it to matter.
Huge to me is that due to it's long range capabilities the conversation about it being the perfect long range hunting round are becoming more and more common. 500 yard elk rifle? I guess. But how many people should even be trying to shoot game at long range? Based on what I see at the range damn few.
This caliber does nothing that the .260 or even more importantly the 6.5X55 has been doing for a very long time, but all the sudden it is the perfect caliber that everyone must have. Low recoil, amazing BC, easy and inexpensive to load, and making the used market for magnum .30 rifles a buyer's market. What's not to like?
There are 50 rifle calibers out there that shoot just fine out to 300 yards, which is exactly how far most people should be establishing as a maximum distance based upon my observations.

To the OP, Jess, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge and the Savage you asked about would be a great range rifle and hunting where the weight of the rifle and the distance hiked don't become an issue for you. Is it the greatest caliber ever? Is any caliber the greatest ever? That's a matter of personal opinion, but the 6.5CM isn't as new as most people think and it's not a fad that's going to soon fade away. It's been a staple in PRS matches for quite some time. As a hunting rifle I've seen it do very well on a wide variety of game. IMO, any hunting rifle should be used at as close a distance as possible, the closer the better. As a long distance rifle, for range/target use, I see them used out to a mile all the time.

Just to add a little to the discussion. My 11yo son absolutely loves shooting my 6.5CM. He has a Ruger american Compact in .243 that he uses for a deer rifle, but he prefers the 6.5Cm at the range, because it kicks less. It has helped him get more trigger time and develop his shooting skills a little faster. I used it deer hunting this year in KY because my Baby Brother was using my .270win and I am a lot more experienced shooter then he is. I loaded up some 140g SSTs and put 4 deer in the dirt including my heaviest buck to date. I was very impressed with wound channel.

15202640_10153890803300736_1166205493598761876_n.jpg

14502780_10153760643350736_3434937340915297467_n.jpg

If you can find Savage 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor I would definitely get it. I dont't think that Savage is actually producing them anymore. I'm an FFL and none of my distributors have one and it's not on Savage's site anymore. I love mine though, my 22-250 is a tack driver. Consistently shoots sub 1/2 MOA.

I believe the rifle I mentioned in the post is a Cabela's exclusive model. They originally carried 223, 22-250, 204, and 308 but I noticed that the 6.5 just got added to their inventory selection.

Hunters have been using 6.5 mm bullets at moderate velocity to kill large critters for decades with surprising effectiveness.

The creed is nothing new in terms of ballistics, but the public seems to think it's quite a discovery.

Guess I'm just Creedmoored out. The cartridge has been out for 10 years. Didn't look at it then, and I don't see looking at it now. The flavor of the month will come and go. I'm sure it's a great cartridge, just not as great as all the recent attention it's getting. Like Belly said, the 6.5 has been killing a long time. Just took something new and shiny for guys to recognize that. mtmuley

Guess I'm just Creedmoored out. The cartridge has been out for 10 years. Didn't look at it then, and I don't see looking at it now. The flavor of the month will come and go. I'm sure it's a great cartridge, just not as great as all the recent attention it's getting. Like Belly said, the 6.5 has been killing a long time. Just took something new and shiny for guys to recognize that. mtmuley

I can understand that. WSMs did the same thing a while back in my neck of the woods. I got tired of hearing about them as well. Still see a couple from time to time, but pretty rare around here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back