Idaho Muley

Heff

Hey everyone! So I knew in advance that I was going to get the tag, due to it being an unlimited draw, but I'm still pretty excited to go out for my first deer hunt, and archery to boot. The area I will be in has tons of roads, both maintained and not. Not a really high elevation area, guess thats why they call them hills and not mountains. Is there anything I need to do now to ensure that I have a good time hunting and increase my chances of success? I have been eScouting the area, looking mostly for where I think Elk will be since I drew that tag for the same unit. Thanks for the help. -Heff

Athletes kill more deer than couch potatoes. Get in shape even if it is only hills. Set a realistic expectation, if you shoot the world record deer in Idaho you will be the first one ever to do that. So set your sights a bit lower than that. Take a camera and take lots of photos. You don't have to eat your meals out of a bag, take some good food. Take lots of glass, binos, spotter, etc. take a kid.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Saw a pretty 3x3 in velvet yesterday when I was out scouting. Almost walked on top of him. He was bedded down pretty good.

Good luck on your hunt! Would be very interested in photos if you have any.

Lucky guy if you drew an elk tag for the South Hills, I would forget about deer and focus on elk if I had the tag. Deer are easy to find in 54.

Yes, forget about deer. You may never have another bull tag like this in your lifetime.

Good luck on your hunt! Would be very interested in photos if you have any.

I took a very terrible photo of the buck I saw and I will post it. Ran into a moose too Ill also post for your viewing pleasure. -Heff

Locate waterholes. Sit them and shoot what shows up, be it deer or elk. Practice with the bow to 60 yards so you will be confidant at 40.
Since you can draw this deer tag every year, I would be elk hunting.

He wasn't far from us when i snapped this picture.
20170630_184021.jpg

I about walked on top of this guy! Sorry about the quality, was ill prepared to shoot a photo.
20170630_190627.jpg

Unless you have a lucky horse shoe wrapped around your neck, one which you could not shake off, you will NEVER draw 54 Elk again! Its a once in 2 or 3 lifetimes tag. If I were you, ide focus solely on Elk, and not think twice about the deer. I'm a die hard mule deer crackhead, but as a NR, I would NOT pick up the deer tag if I had drawn the Elk tag, since anyone can draw it every year. For residents, the deer tag is only $20 bucks, would be good to have that tag incase you see a good buck, but don't let the deer tag cloud your judgment for what you should be actually going after. 54 is in the top 2 or 3 best Elk units in the state (probably #1). That said, just because its extremely hard to draw, does not mean its a walk in the park hunt. I drew an Early rifle buck tag in there in 2013, and in 10 days of hard solo hunting, I only saw three bull Elk (saw more Moose than Elk). But two of those Elk were shooters. I read your post in the Elk forum, and it sounds like you are new to big game hunting, and new to archery hunting. I have never been on a guided hunt, and don't ever push someone to go guided, but you should REALLY consider going with a guide. If you don't go guided and end up falling in love with hunting, you may never forgive yourself for not going all in on Elk when you had "the tag". Believe me, its a once in a few lifetimes tag.

Then again, you got lucky drawing the tag, whose to say you wont step on a gigantic bull, kill it, and then put in again in 2 years, and draw it again... Goodluck with whatever you decide to do, but put your efforts into the Elk!

I add my voice to everyone who says, screw the deer and find a killer bull. I know of multiple 400+ bulls that live out there.

Im pretty sure my deer season goes one week longer than the elk does. That will give me one week for deer and can focus the entire elk season on elk. Thanks for all the input everyone! I really appreciate all the advice and support for this newbie hunter. I have open ears and an open mind so keep the thoughts coming. I plan to go out scouting every weekend til the season opener. Thanks again everyone! -Heff

My dad took a nice bull out of a canyon about a mile south of fawnsprings a few years ago and last year I had the unlimited tag as well and there were still bulls running around in there. There used to be one road that traveled along the top but is overgrown and you have to hike back in which is probably why the elk are in there. I hope you consider taking a look because I know I will never draw the tag and don't mind giving in the info

There was a herd by ramshorn ridge when I went up in October for the cow hunt and the herd bull was pushing 400. With such an amazing tag I hope to see some successful pictures. Also you might want to have deadline outfitters guide you

Back