Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Locking Differential?

constant shifting that now results in shifting hesitation (Toyota claims a computer update fixed this), when climbing hills on mtn roads transmission will not downshift causing the engine to lug out (manually downshifting does resolve) and when it does you over accelerate, squeaky suspension as a result of dust in the leaf spring (no permanent fix), moonroof air leak from poor seal (has yet to leak water, no permanent fix), computer failure within first six months (replaced under warranty), engine knocking/valve noise (unknown cause and running premium gas doesn't help), engaging/disengaging rear locker can take several minutes for some reason, when parking or waiting in drive-thru line the truck will rev when braking causing the truck to lunge forward. I also average about 16 mpg. In the summer I can get 18-19 (70mph or slower) if I stay off the interstate but the second I'm into a headwind I'm down to 15mpg.

Are you sure it's a Tacoma?!?! I have a 2001 and know lots of Taco drivers. I have never heard of someone having so many problems! A leak that's not a leak? MPGs are as advertised, no? Maybe it's not the truck...just sayin.

Are you sure it's a Tacoma?!?! I have a 2001 and know lots of Taco drivers. I have never heard of someone having so many problems! A leak that's not a leak? MPGs are as advertised, no? Maybe it's not the truck...just sayin.

If you heard the noises and drove it you'd reconsider your accusation of it being me. You want to buy it?

Last edited:
constant shifting that now results in shifting hesitation (Toyota claims a computer update fixed this), when climbing hills on mtn roads transmission will not downshift causing the engine to lug out (manually downshifting does resolve) and when it does you over accelerate, squeaky suspension as a result of dust in the leaf spring (no permanent fix), moonroof air leak from poor seal (has yet to leak water, no permanent fix), computer failure within first six months (replaced under warranty), engine knocking/valve noise (unknown cause and running premium gas doesn't help), engaging/disengaging rear locker can take several minutes for some reason, when parking or waiting in drive-thru line the truck will rev when braking causing the truck to lunge forward. I also average about 16 mpg. In the summer I can get 18-19 (70mph or slower) if I stay off the interstate but the second I'm into a headwind I'm down to 15mpg.

I get better gas mileage with my Tundra. What engine does your Tacoma have?

My current pickup is the first vehicle I've had with a locking rear diff, and I won't go back. The performance difference in the mountains is substantial

A locking rear diff(posi-traction) is better than a open diff any day. An electric locker or ARB locker is better by a long shot. When it comes to off road I LOVE my 2010 H3 because it has electric lockers front and back. I lock them when I see a bad spot and unlock them as soon as I'm past it.
I bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado in October and wish I waited because the new ZR2 has electric lockers.
If your planning on installing a locker in a front diff, be sure it's not an aluminum front diff or you will blow it up. It must be a cast iron diff

Thanks guys. It seems locally most dealerships have rigs priced in my range with locking differentials. I have my eyes on a couple rigs and need to get a test drive in.

It all depends on what kind of roads you travel. I tend to travel some pretty rough Jeep and ATV trails to get to my hunting locations. Lockers allow me to get stuck in some truly inaccessible spots. :)

It all depends on what kind of roads you travel. I tend to travel some pretty rough Jeep and ATV trails to get to my hunting locations. Lockers allow me to get stuck in some truly inaccessible spots. :)

^^^^^ I installed an Eaton E-Locker on my Explorer Sport Trac (basically a 4-door Ford Ranger), but never use it until after I'm stuck. If you get stuck with the locker on, you're pretty much screwed.

I have a 14 f150 with the lockers, I have not really needed it yet but guys I work with have 15 f150s. With that that said if you are looking at them my 5.5 foot bed will pull a heavy trailer pretty good, they have the 6.5 foot bed and with a heavy trailer they get a bad vibration in the 2 piece drive shaft. Ford knows of the problem but so far they have done nothing to fix it. Something to keep in mind if you are going with Ford.

Goat

I'm a rancher and spend a lot of time offroad. I would buy a truck without a factory locker, but only with the intention of installing an aftermarket one. I have a 93 Chevy 3/4 ton that we put a Detroit Locker in when the factory open differential went out. I absolutely love it. It's probably not what a person who spends 90% of their time on pavement and 10% off would want, but it works great for the 60% gravel or offroad, 40% highway that truck sees. The little bit of scratching on corners doesn't bother me, the only downside I really see is you have to be a bit more careful on ice. I have pulled big loads with the old truck and seen no issue with the Detroit doing that.

After having the Detroit in the old truck I'm less enthused about the factory lockers that unlock at 20mph or are only available in 4 Low. I guess I'm old school but I hate traction control, like real 4wd not AWD, and want a locker to stay locked most of the time. The factory ones are certainly better than nothing, but not as good as the aftermarket. If I was buying a used daily driver truck without a warranty I'd certainly rather have an open differential that I could put a good limited slip in. If it was a beater or just hunting truck it would be a Detroit and not a limited slip. Buying new I'd probably have to go with the factory locker just for warranty reasons. My 2012 F350 has it and it works ok. I have been almost screwed in that truck a few times when I forgot to shut off the damn traction control though, wish I could make OFF the standard setting and turn it on if I ever wanted it.

The third generation tacoma has been extremely disappointing. Lots of folks with issues described by mthuntr.

My Ford F150 has the locking diff and I love it. You can run it in 2wd and 4hi. When in the backcountry, especially curvy roads, I leave the truck in 2hi and then lock the diff. It keeps both rear tires moving without binding up the front on tight turns. Its also great for towing on soft ground where breaking one tire loose would not be helpful.

Like many have said, if I got a new truck that didn't have it, I would install aftermarket.

The third generation tacoma has been extremely disappointing. Lots of folks with issues described by mthuntr.

Thanks for confirming my issues. Last week the "fix" for the suspension squeaking failed and now my truck squeaks worse than a Midwest screendoor though Toyota claims it's fixed. Today on my way back from the Ford dealership, I had to open the sunroof to balance the interior pressure because the crosswind caused an airleak in the gasket...talk about the single most annoying sound...I'd post a video but it's not worth the hassle.

I've been talking with Ford a lot lately and have test driven different models with the 3 available motors. The 3.5 Ecoboost with 10 speed transmission had potential but the first few miles of constant shifting changed my mind. I want to lean to the V8 for long term proven success but the the 2.7 and 3.5 are solid performers and are much more responsive. Most of the local trucks have the 3.55 locking rear differential. I have my eye on the lower end model with the STX package.

I haven't test driven the Nissan Titan yet. I have a base model Chevy for work so I know most models they offer will drive better.

A disappointingly sluggish Tundra test drive will likely push my choice to either Ford or Nissan...as a long time Chevy/GMC I struggle admitting this.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind with the engines that you listed above is the Ecoboost. They both run twin turbo set ups and there are more parts that are going to need to be replaced. The V8 is naturally aspirated so there is not a concern latter down the road. Turbos are nice and effective, but live a hard life of constant hot/cold, moisture, carbon, and pressure. It is not a matter of if they will fail, it's when will they fail. Ford covers them for 100,000 but they will likely make it to 150k. After looking in the engine compartment and it being so full of stuff and the cost of OEM parts. Replacing those is going to be expensive. I chose the V8 for that reason, because we plan on keeping this truck for 200k+ and it will be one less thing I have to worry about down the road.

Last edited:
Whether you need lockers or not depends on how rough the terrain is that you drive on. I have F&R ARB lockers on my Jeep and need them all the time. Someone else my never need them.

Back